Rebuilding the Broncos

L

Lockyfan05

BRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Can someone explain the Ben Hannant hate on here to me?

I've never seen him give less than 110%. I've never seen him not make metres or a large amount of tackles. He had injury issues this year but was superb besides this.

I still believe he's in the top 5 front rowers in the comp, what is going on with all the hate?

Absolutely spot on!!!

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Also ... About the Roosters strength and fitness coach. Seems to have done something good

"Roosters say strength and power coach has transformed the players."

Fitter, happier Roosters with Smith: SKD - NRL.com

"... He's had a different approach in the gym and he really wanted us to work on our midsection and legs - more Olympic lifting, deadlifts, snatches," .... and

"He's really got the boys eating well ... some of the boys are in the best shape of their lives; not only the diet - our preparation in general,"

Pass the pies boys

They certainly do look a step above all the others when it comes to fitness/speed/strength.

This also gives them a ton of confidence, which is what it's all about really.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I watched a lot of highlights last night of our 2011 season. Bar one obvious exception our squad has remained the same.

We look a completely different outfit in 2011. Glenn, Hoffman, Thaiday breaking the line and scoring tries. Yow Yeh dominating.

Wallace (!) scoring tries and putting in perfect bombs for his outside backs.

It can't just be the Lockyer factor. 2011 would put 40 points in 2013 Broncos.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
It can't just be the Lockyer factor.
it can though, thats what having a dominant half will do for you - especially probably the best one of all time. we wouldve scored a dozen more tries this year had lockyer just been the one putting up the bombs and not wallace.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
it can though, thats what having a dominant half will do for you - especially probably the best one of all time. we wouldve scored a dozen more tries this year had lockyer just been the one putting up the bombs and not wallace.
Lockyer had influence undoubtedly, and we certainly would've been a bit better this season, but the slaughter in our backline would've always hindered us significantly, besides Wallace played much better as second fiddle to Locky. When they were both healthy, they complemented each other quite well. 2008 and 2011 are proof of that.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
You would have to think that if Griffin is given another chance to prove himself as our coach in 2014 after such a poor season this year then Thaiday will also be given the same opportunity as our captain.

I do agree that we should not go down the route of co-captains, Thaiday is either captain or not on his own, same with Parker and Glenn or whoever else.

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with keeping Thaiday on as captain, he's had his chance, and isn't cutting it. I think that should be one of Hook's first changes.

1) He doesn't seem to command respect
2) He's always tired (which is reasonable for a forward), and seems to be following instead of creating the play
3) Your captain should be on at all times, and I don't think a forward (except an 80 min hooker) or an outside back should be captain.

Obviously I'm not privy to what goes on at training, but if Hook really believes in Ben Hunt, give him the captaincy. I think he's got what it takes (vision, skill, etc), but he needs to take charge of the group, call his plays, and have confidence that he'll be listened to. You don't get that coming from the bench hooker spot, into halfback for the last 6 do-or-die games.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with keeping Thaiday on as captain, he's had his chance, and isn't cutting it. I think that should be one of Hook's first changes.

1) He doesn't seem to command respect
2) He's always tired (which is reasonable for a forward), and seems to be following instead of creating the play
3) Your captain should be on at all times, and I don't think a forward (except an 80 min hooker) or an outside back should be captain.

Obviously I'm not privy to what goes on at training, but if Hook really believes in Ben Hunt, give him the captaincy. I think he's got what it takes (vision, skill, etc), but he needs to take charge of the group, call his plays, and have confidence that he'll be listened to. You don't get that coming from the bench hooker spot, into halfback for the last 6 do-or-die games.

I don't disagree with your comments on Thaiday, I just think he and Griffin are in this together for 2014 and will either sink or swim together.

I'm not a fan of throwing the captaincy of the broncos at Hunt for 2014. Let the poor bugger cement the halfback spot before adding the pressures of captaincy. When Hunt is confident enough he can still call the plays and take some charge on the field without the C next to his name.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I don't disagree with your comments on Thaiday, I just think he and Griffin are in this together for 2014 and will either sink or swim together.

I'm not a fan of throwing the captaincy of the broncos at Hunt for 2014. Let the poor bugger cement the halfback spot before adding the pressures of captaincy. When Hunt is confident enough he can still call the plays and take some charge on the field without the C next to his name.

Yeah agreed, he'll have enough 'leadership' burden just by having to organise his players, let him worry about that side of things. At that role, it's often difficult to see the forest for the trees. Let the captain observe from a few steps away, and respond when necessary.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think a large part of the "Lockyer" effect had to do with his passion for playing for the Broncos.

Does Milford, or even Barba, have that passion? Of course not. A job's a job.

If only ALL the player's had the same passion as we fans have for this mighty club things would be different.

What we lack most of all is inspiration and that is why Parker and Hodges make such a big difference

Last edited:
Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
No way would I be making Hunt captain already, if Macca plays 80 on the other hand...

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
No way would I be making Hunt captain already, if Macca plays 80 on the other hand...

Macca is all over the place, rarely ever seems to have any structure, i just couldnt see him handling the pressure. That being said we need to get rid of the C from Sam's name asap.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
The only two people who should get the captaincy if it was stripped from Thaiday is either Parker or Hodges but Hodges doesn't want it and Parker won't get it. Hunt shouldn't get that kind of pressure, he's not even assured of a spot. Macca doesn't deserve it any more than Thaiday so no point in a move like that.

There's only one standout candidate for the captaincy and that's Parker but is it worth the trouble it would cause in the playing group? It's a very tough choice for Griffin to make.

L

Lockyfan05

BRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
IMO we give thaiday the captaincy for the start of next season, and if its becoming apparent thats its 2013 all over again, make hodgo captain. the captain needs to be calling the shots, and hodges would bring this crucial factor to the captaincy. also, the fact that he is an 80 minute player would make it more enticing. He is the only one in the current side that can turn games around single-handedly, and a capatin who can do that is as good as they come

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Only 80 minute players should be captains as you need leadership at all times in any organisation, group assignment, business or sports team and not having your leader there affects everyone involved.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
80 minutes is preferable, and someone who can lift his game if things aren't going the team's way. Which generally means no "confidence" players.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Do the players get a say in who they want to be their captain or (co-captains), a say who they want to lead them?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Do the players get a say in who they want to be their captain or (co-captains), a say who they want to lead them?

Officially no, it would be the coaches decision but it's a massive consideration for the coach. You don't want a captain nobody likes.

Unread

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • Redfern_1980
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.