Rebuilding the Broncos

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
We don't need Milford.

All we need is DCE - and Hook being forced to watch how Manly played last night (in the 2nd half) until he is brainwashed into realizing that keeping the ball alive is what wins matches, and support play is the single, simple key to that. THAT is how you play football and not footbrawl (Roosters, Souths and the rest)

The Manly support play not only extends to attack but also defence. Rock solid up the middle. What a model team (even though I hate Manly for other totally irrational, and a few rational reasons).

Souths also demonstrated how NOT to win a match. I would have sworn that their last 60 minutes were from Griffin's coaching. Their forwards struggled to get on top of the opposition and the few times that they did get good field position, they spoiled it with uncreative play from their outside backs and halves (*cough* Wallace, *cough, cough* Maranta).

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
We don't need Milford.

All we need is DCE - and Hook being forced to watch how Manly played last night (in the 2nd half) until he is brainwashed into realizing that keeping the ball alive is what wins matches, and support play is the single, simple key to that. THAT is how you play football and not footbrawl (Roosters, Souths and the rest)

The Manly support play not only extends to attack but also defence. Rock solid up the middle. What a model team (even though I hate Manly for other totally irrational, and a few rational reasons).

It certainly was a masterclass in how to win a tough football game.

Souths looked out on their feet in the second half wheras Manly grew another leg.

So much for them being 'busted' :blushing:

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Souths also demonstrated how NOT to win a match. I would have sworn that their last 60 minutes were from Griffin's coaching. Their forwards struggled to get on top of the opposition and the few times that they did get good field position, they spoiled it with uncreative play from their outside backs and halves (*cough* Wallace, *cough, cough* Maranta).

Ha ha yeah cause everything is griffins fault !

L

Lockyfan05

BRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
they spoiled it with uncreative play from their outside backs and halves (*cough* Wallace, *cough, cough* Maranta).[/QUOTE]

Too true, too true

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013

Great points all of them, redbur. This might sound weird but galloping out to a 14-0 lead was probably the worse thing to happen. From that point on the bunnies were trying not to lose rather than go for the win. Crazy stuff with an hour still to play. I think if they had've got to 20-0 that would have sealed it for them. It wasn't to be. Hoping Manly win the GF.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
parra style cleanout please. we've needed it for years.

bye bye captain sam. bye bye hannant. bye bye generic forward/second rower numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4. bye bye generic slow with no natural football talent backs.

lets get some players who want to play football for the Broncos, but more importantly want to WIN. the current crop apart from a small few just seem to want to collect those big fat overinflated paycheques while putting in as little effort as possible.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Restore on-field leadership. Ever since Kockyer retired a large void has been left as Thiaday doesnt seem to have the ability to inspire his troops and order them around the field. Thiaday needs some captaincy lessons from JT or Cameron Smith.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Wishful thinking, Thaiday just doesn't have that aura/charisma about him and without that he must rely on his own game as a means to lead the way, but the past two season's has showed he can't even do that with any consistency.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Restore on-field leadership. Ever since Kockyer retired a large void has been left as Thiaday doesnt seem to have the ability to inspire his troops and order them around the field. Thiaday needs some captaincy lessons from JT or Cameron Smith.

I like this point. I think the answer is making the captain someone in the backline or a forward who can play 80 minutes. As good as Tallis was, we never won a premiership with him.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I like this point. I think the answer is making the captain someone in the backline or a forward who can play 80 minutes. As good as Tallis was, we never won a premiership with him.

We won 3 premierships with him. 97 super league, 1998 and 2000 complete with Tallis being the Clive Churchill medal winner in 1998.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think he means as captain which is true we didn't win premierships with him, though I don't think its a fair comparison, Gordy was never the same after the neck injury because it took a lot of the aggression out of his game and he thrived on that, he was an enforcer and even so I still think he was out there trying as captain to inspire afterwards he just couldn't be the Gordy of old.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah I meant premierships as captain. I'm a huge fan of Gordie the player. I think he was the best back rower in the world at the top of his game. The neck injury has an impact no doubt but being on the field for the entire 80 minutes is an absolute must, IMO. I was always a bit wary of forwards as captains. A lot of the things I didn't like about Tallis' captaincy I see now with Thaiday (not getting on with refs, taking the soft option when struggling etc). A bit frustrating.

A question: Does anyone know the last captain to win a premiership who didn't play the full 80 minutes every week? I was thinking Lazzo in '99 but that was under unlimited interchange so probably not applicable.

Last edited:
Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
A question: Does anyone know the last captain to win a premiership who didn't play the full 80 minutes every week? I was thinking Lazzo in '99 but that was under unlimited interchange so probably not applicable.

Mannering, Anasta and Cayless have all lost them recently but their teams did make it to the GF. Not 100% sure how much Anasta used to be interchanged at the Roosters when he played backrow.

Andrew Ryan was probably the last GF winning captain who would not have played the full 80 mins every week.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
and if we can finalise this Milford signing we may have just found our replacement to Lockyer.

Bullshit. The rest of your post makes sense (sorry to cherry pick but this had to be pulled out).

The club has to find an entirely new identity for itself and not feed off the success of the past. The past success was a result of enormously favourable circumstances of being the only competitive club outside of in the NSW for the first 15 years of its inception. That's history. We have to be smart now about recruitment and tough on slides in form (and not just play the "we're the Broncos, we'll come good" card).

They have to build a spine of a team that play for each other, that the fans want to come and see and that separate themselves from the inevitable comparisons to years gone by. The time is now for the golden generation of the 2008 NYC team to shine. Ben Hunt, Andrew McCullough, Alex Glenn, Yow Yeh, Hoffman and Reed, Gillett, McGuire - these are our boys to build the new Broncos, for better or worse. And the truth is they are good footballers.

I hope Barba (and Milford) becomes a part of the team, takes ownership, builds his own identity as a Bronco, find happiness on/off the field - becomes a Bronco through and through and not just bit part players or imports or mercenaries (like SBW or Israel Folau). Be like Brad Fittler - Penrith grown but a Rooster through and through in the end.

It will take patience which a lot of Broncos fans don't have - the Broncos have won 6 premierships in my 30 years of life - the Rabbitohs haven't been to a Grand Final in 40. The ill thought out purchase of Prince in the off-season is an example of not showing patience and a reluctance to let go of the past.

The Broncos also need to be wary of the real, almost certain, chance of a third team in SE Qld in the next 5-10 years further diluting their fan base.

RE: Griffin. Tough call. His first year he had the roster and made the GF play off. 2012/2013 were the "Corey Norman" years. He'll get the roster next year and God hopes he is spending the time at the moment building an awesome game plan.

PS - Origin next year will be interesting - the bench could very well be Hannant, Gillett, McGuire/Kennedy and Barba.

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Sproj
  • Morkel
  • Waynesaurus
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • DrGee
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • winslow_wong
  • Scdeac
  • Swordfish
  • barker
  • Allo
  • levikaden
  • Skyblues87
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.