Redcliffe trial v Sharks

I think Pangai Jr is a beast and could be in a league of his own if give the chance in the next couple of years.

Joe offa always had potential but only giving 50% if he steps up he could be a great front tower.

TPJ = Taumololo potentially

What did you think of Scarlett and Seve?

Scarlett was really good. He has a lovely pass on him. Good kicking game. Could be an option for next year. He's 26 so he's been around a bit and he seems really calm.

Think that's what we need. Sometimes it's like everyone is on red cordial.

Seve went alright. Didn't see that much of him unfortunately.

Scarlett was really good. He has a lovely pass on him. Good kicking game. Could be an option for next year. He's 26 so he's been around a bit and he seems really calm.

Think that's what we need. Sometimes it's like everyone is on red cordial.

Seve went alright. Didn't see that much of him unfortunately.

Well it's good we have a decent option coming through our system. Also he is only 23 this year, so only a year or so older than Milford.

Hopefully Seve can get some more ball in other trials and really show what he can do.

Also how did Issako go? Heard he has great potential and is a pretty decent goal kicker.

Tevita Pangai Junior has plenty left to give. We are only scratching the surface. Our centre positions are not an issue. We have plenty of quality depth. All options will be able to rise to the occasion if they get picked.

Who do you think will be our left center mate ? And what are the thoughts on big joe o , is he part of our future pack you think?

Well it's good we have a decent option coming through our system. Also he is only 23 this year, so only a year or so older than Milford.

Hopefully Seve can get some more ball in other trials and really show what he can do.

Also how did Issako go? Heard he has great potential and is a pretty decent goal kicker.

Ps you a right re his age. I was looking at the wrong profile.

Issako scored a nice try and he seemed like a good kicker. Hard to tell from 5 kicks though....

Dislocated and will be out for the year.

Dislocated knee is out for the year? Jesus.. I assume there was some major ligament damage as well, because that's not normal.

Dislocated knee is out for the year? Jesus.. I assume there was some major ligament damage as well, because that's not normal.
That's terrible luck. Poor fellow. I only watched the second half, but he looked a handy player from what little I saw, what with that size of his. Loved the way Scarlett played and I thought isaako quite safe at the back as well. Glenn and tevita stood out for me though. They'd both be firmly in the round one 17 players for me, with Glenn starting, depending how thaiday's fitness is going. They held cronulla's pack quite well (granted it was only a trial)

I've watched the match and there was 5 things I noticed.
1.Big Joe really stood up and put in 100%, I would start him after that display.
2.Pangi jr is a real x-factor who needs more time on the field, he can be our taumalolo
3.Hunt had a very ordinary game he better step it up and fast.
4.We have some great depth in our forwards and backs.
5. Mead and Moga can still push there way into the team both with solid displays.

The commentators lol
Takes some stopping but eventually they push him backwards

Watched the replay last night, was good to see a proper game if not a first string side. By and large an encouraging effort, though I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

My thoughts as follows, in no particular order. Apologies if they are a bit rambling, made some quick notes last night and a bit fuzzier today.

By my count Hunt had two drop outs by short kicks and unlucky not to get a third. Looked. Gird early with a linebreak and later a try assist with a nice ball to Isaako. His long range kicks and bombs weren't great though, nothing new here. Probably the. Most disappointing thing was that he started relatively strongly, but struggled to impose himself as the game wore on. I think some are being overly critical of his performance but he certainly could have been more composed out there.

Conversely, I thought Scarlett was largely invisible early on, but started to come good just before half time. Put in a sweet kick on half time for Mead, who came close to scoring. Another nick short kick at the start of the second half, seems to have a good boot on him. Showed some nice short balls to Ese'ese and Glenn for tries. Final notable play was a good long kick pulling up on goal line late in the piece. Didn't get a drop out but was nicely weighted. All up, seems to have a nice pass and boot on him. Hadn't seen him before but relatively impressed on first showing, maybe one to watch in ISC.

Ofahengaue actually really impressed me. I've been pretty vocal about a lack of aggression from him but he stood up here. Strong running in the first half, good metres after contact (which hasn't been his strong suit). Solid also on the second half aside from a knock on when we were on the offensive early. Showed some good strength to hold the ball up and stretch out for our final try. Only one night but probably one of his best efforts in my eyes.

Herman Ese'ese I thought was a bit underwhelming in the first half, especially compared to Joe O. Some decent runs but nothing really stood out. Kicked it up a gear in the second half with a great run off the kick off and followed up with some better runs. good line to score try I thought he ran some good lines, particularly in scoring off that ball from Scarlett (credit to some strong lead up work from Glenn), and also later off a great pass from Murphy, though his offload and subsequent play went dead. Aside from a late error in our own 20 his second half was good. I feel like he could be a real weapon if we could get him running those lines onto well-timed balls at the line. Like a super size Ben Teo.

Sims overplayed his hand a hit early. Seemed too eager to put on hits, loose technique, didn't stick with his tackles, but always came back to make a second effort. Credit for involvement though. Seemed to shake out the nerves a bit by his second stint and delivered some much enter efforts, particularly those two crunching hits on Brown (think Murphy assisted on the second), as well as shut down Holmes hard on an attacking raid. Defence was more a feature than his attack but he had some solid runs too.

TPJ was good without being great. Felt like maybe he was a bit under utilised? Wasn't sighted as much as I would have liked but his efforts were good whenever he popped up. Bullocking run to score our first and I thought he capitalised well carting it up whenever Ofa or Ese'ese got a quick play the ball. I'd like to see us put this into practice this season, use our power runners in quick succession against retreating defence, ala Burgess Bros 2014, with Milf, Boyd or Hunt applying the blowtorch thereafter.

Arrow was strong, no huge moments in attack but made decent metres. As BP pointed out he does put in the extra effort to get them on their back /side and slow down their play the ball. I'm still not sure if he's quite physical enough to be a middle forward though?

Of the backs, I didn't see a lot to comment on. Mead was well involved and defensively quite sound.

Moga and Seve didn't really present much of a case. Some decent runs from Moga out of our own end but unremarkable otherwise.

Shame about Te Rupe.

Isaako was safe at the back, defusing bombs with ease. Great effort to deny Holmes, he scores those 9/10 times. Seemed to be a good runner, limited opportunities to ball play and play generally broke down with his outside men.Good goal kicking but easy shots from right in front. Parker would probably have flubbed a couple though..

Todd Murphy seemed a bit of a nugget, solid tackles for his size, nice early kick almost yielding s try for mead, forced a line drop out. Combined well with Scarlett in try assist to Glenn, and had Ese'ese running onto some nice passes. Looked like he could be a decent backup or bench hooker to me?

Observed in a vacuum, I'd say :

- Ofa to star
- Sims, and Ese'ese as bench props.
- TPJ to bench for subbing as lock or left edge for Thaiday.
- Scarlett not a bad, if untested, back up half
- Murphy a reasonable option as back up or bench hooker.
- Mead seems reliable enough but I'd probably plump for Pearson (or Isaako) as an alternative with more upside.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosgirl
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.