NEWS Reece Walsh sells his soul to Warriors. No big deal.

Particularly because we have lost all our pulling power. In the past we had a coach with pull, a brand with pull, results with pull, a reputation with pull and facilities with pull.

We still have the facilities but are soon to be overtaken by the Tigers I believe, another team that has always struggled to pull in players.

We may still have some attraction to some old school players but they are few and far between now. Our last premiership was 15 years ago. Then 6 years ago, on that fateful night, the club broke and too many people have been coasting by since. I also suspect that since the previous coach who was on such a ridiculous contract with no performance clause embedded, likely all roles at the club are the same which leads to no accountability and power struggles. Add greedy managers and salary cap mismanagement into all that and we are in a shambles off the field.

I got side tracked but the point is, all these things mean the club is not what it once was, the glory years are long gone and we are (in other players' eyes) most likely seen as a basket case and so anyone who is worth a pinch of salt either wants more to stay or more to come.

The other problem is, you look at clubs like the Roosters and the Storm, they do what we used to do, they show care in players they want to attain and attract. They have systems that work like clock work and because they have a recruitment and retention plan, they are not trying to tie up 10 kids at the same time as other clubs can talk to them also while trying to desperately to recruit others players to come at the same time. Even a good retention and recruitment team would struggle with trying to sort out 15-20 contracts at the same time even without huge contracts coming in from other teams.

As Smokin' Joe Smokin' Joe says, you can see why it will get worse before it gets better.
Yep thats a big one , no pulling power . And that’s my big issue with walsh , we low ball the kid and then just sat and watched him take the warriors offer. I understand we can't let players and mangers dictate terms but if we had big plans for the kid , at least up your offer a little and show your keen.
There is no use trying to save dollars on juniors when we will need to pay overs for some superstars to get that pulling power back.

This is why a salary cap without a draft just doesn’t work. The strong get stronger and the weak get weaker. Instead of reviewing this we have a chairman more concerned with taking potshots at the AFL for cheap laughs from his media mates.

Yep thats a big one , no pulling power . And that’s my big issue with walsh , we low ball the kid and then just sat and watched him take the warriors offer. I understand we can't let players and mangers dictate terms but if we had big plans for the kid , at least up your offer a little and show your keen.
There is no use trying to save dollars on juniors when we will need to pay overs for some superstars to get that pulling power back.
What pulling power do you think Walsh has? Do you think the Cameron Munster’s of the world are sitting back going “Wow I would love to play with that superstar, he just scored 2 tries in Q cup! If I can convince Frei that scored 2 tries too then I’m all in!”

This is why a salary cap without a draft just doesn’t work. The strong get stronger and the weak get weaker. Instead of reviewing this we have a chairman more concerned with taking potshots at the AFL for cheap laughs from his media mates.

That grated me so much last year. If I didn’t love the Broncs so much, I would walk from league.

How much did you watch?
Well I was at the game and watched the whole 80 minutes.
This kid is nrl ready. The way he gets around the park looks effortless. He is a brilliant mover and super quick.
The 90 metre try he scored was top shelf.

Nolan and those other boneheads, the parle's and scanlon etc still don't get it. The aura is gone however their ego and arrogance still exists. The new crop coming through see straight through their crap.

Let's look at this, recruitment meeting situation. You can sit down with a nevil no body like Nolan or you sit down with meninga, Bellamy, Trent Robinson and the likes.
I like Kevvy, however his persona is the joker and the good man. He doesn't have that hard edge like the other 3 and this will cause issues with culture and recruitment.

Last edited:
What pulling power do you think Walsh has? Do you think the Cameron Munster’s of the world are sitting back going “Wow I would love to play with that superstar, he just scored 2 tries in Q cup! If I can convince Frei that scored 2 tries too then I’m all in!”

I don’t think that’s the point. The point is about the club not the player in that aspect of pulling power.

Walsh is a point to start the discussion. It has been reported on here that Walters was not willing to budge on 250k. That’s the point under discussion. We may have gone up to 400k and still lost him. The point is, we are no longer a powerhouse, whether we like it or not, we can’t act like we are anymore.

None , he had nothing to with that comment bar about saving money.

Where did I say he was better than milf ? My words was a more complete player! Milford only got his chance half way through the season and after he impressed Ricky tried to throw a million at him to stay , he only took less to come home . Samoa , yeah really hard team to crack back then hey .
If you think above $250 k is a gamble for a guy who was going to get the 1 next year you got fucking rocks in your head , $500k might be overs atm but that's how it is these days. If kevie thinks he can low ball all the highly touted juniors then he'll be in for a shock , times have changed.
A more complete player means you're not a better player? Sorry, It was a big assumption on my behalf.
"Threw a million dollars at him"/450,000 a year... nice try trying to make it sound like a crazy offer Milford got lol...
and Samoa not that good a side and nothing to be proud of at 18 I suppose. Can you name Walsh's rep sides he is a chance of making this year?

250,000 to get him to stay you think? Considering warriors are from all reports paying 500,000 I doubt that very much so looks like i have rocks in my head, but again, stop making stuff up to make your points sound valid.....
It isnt about low balling them, it's about them not holding us to ransom and giving the paydays to people who earned it, ya know, the model EVERY SUCCESSFUL CLUB OF THE LAST 30 YEARS USES? Look at the clubs who do it? We've fallen into the trap top for a quick fix but it doesn't work. There's some saying about doing the same thing and expecting a different result yada yada I think you should look up....

Where did I say he was better than milf ? My words was a more complete player! Milford only got his chance half way through the season and after he impressed Ricky tried to throw a million at him to stay , he only took less to come home . Samoa , yeah really hard team to crack back then hey .
If you think above $250 k is a gamble for a guy who was going to get the 1 next year you got fucking rocks in your head , $500k might be overs atm but that's how it is these days. If kevie thinks he can low ball all the highly touted juniors then he'll be in for a shock , times have changed.
And how do you know Walsh is a more complete player then Milford was?! Hahahaha how many games of his have you seen? Are you basing this off the same print media who called niu the next Lockyer or just the 1 TRIAL game against a QLD cup team you saw and the written report about a reserve grade game?

The storm didn't match tinos offer with the titans of 500,000. Are you saying it is likely Walsh will be better then tino within the next 3 years based on everything you've seen and heard so far? Or are the storm no good at recruiting and retention, bcos they had the money but decided to spend it elsewhere, much like we did in the 90s if someone tried to hold us to ransom..

A more complete player means you're not a better player? Sorry, It was a big assumption on my behalf.
"Threw a million dollars at him"/450,000 a year... nice try trying to make it sound like a crazy offer Milford got lol...
and Samoa not that good a side and nothing to be proud of at 18 I suppose. Can you name Walsh's rep sides he is a chance of making this year?

250,000 to get him to stay you think? Considering warriors are from all reports paying 500,000 I doubt that very much so looks like i have rocks in my head, but again, stop making stuff up to make your points sound valid.....
It isnt about low balling them, it's about them not holding us to ransom and giving the paydays to people who earned it, ya know, the model EVERY SUCCESSFUL CLUB OF THE LAST 30 YEARS USES? Look at the clubs who do it? We've fallen into the trap top for a quick fix but it doesn't work. There's some saying about doing the same thing and expecting a different result yada yada I think you should look up....
Lol , maybe you should re-read my post buddy. A more complete player dosent necessarily mean better, CANBERRA counter offered Milford $900k , WE!! offered walsh $250k and didn't budge on it. Who knows what it would have taken to keep him but , I think we should have gone at least $50k more. But hey if you want to make shit up to siut your agenda , go right ahead .

And how do you know Walsh is a more complete player then Milford was?! Hahahaha how many games of his have you seen? Are you basing this off the same print media who called niu the next Lockyer or just the 1 TRIAL game against a QLD cup team you saw and the written report about a reserve grade game?
I've been a fan of walsh for a few seasons now, by all means go back through my posts.

The storm didn't match tinos offer with the titans of 500,000. Are you saying it is likely Walsh will be better then tino within the next 3 years based on everything you've seen and heard so far? Or are the storm no good at recruiting and retention, bcos they had the money but decided to spend it elsewhere, much like we did in the 90s if someone tried to hold us to ransom..
Tino wanted to come back to QLD bit like milf 👌

Yep. The argument most seem to be putting up is “We are in this situation for paying overs for potential, I can’t believe we didn’t pay overs for that kid that is all potential”

Well I was at the game and watched the whole 80 minutes.
This kid is nrl ready. The way he gets around the park looks effortless. He is a brilliant mover and super quick.
The 90 metre try he scored was top shelf.

Nolan and those other boneheads, the parle's and scanlon etc still don't get it. The aura is gone however their ego and arrogance still exists. The new crop coming through see straight through their crap.

Let's look at this, recruitment meeting situation. You can sit down with a nevil no body like Nolan or you sit down with meninga, Bellamy, Trent Robinson and the likes.
I like Kevvy, however his persona is the joker and the good man. He doesn't have that hard edge like the other 3 and this will cause issues with culture and recruitment.

Sure you watched the game?

He didn't score a 90m try. First one he ran maybe 8m and second he dived on a grubber.

71m in total for the game.

Active Now

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.