NEWS Reece Walsh sells his soul to Warriors. No big deal.

Point totally missed.
Is this the point where we bleat how certain clubs get away with stuff? Because that whiny shit is unbearable.

Is this the point where we bleat how certain clubs get away with stuff? Because that whiny shit is unbearable.

No it’s about being a public facing organisation that needs to set standards and think about its image to parents who are thinking about which sports their kids will pathway into. Whether you personally think it is an issue is irrelevant as it is for anyone’s personal view. It is about public perception. I can’t believe I have to spell this out.

The Storm players shouldn't have been punished at all, and certainly not by the NRL. They are adults, subject to the law the same as us. They are guilty of being morons, allowing themselves to be filmed committing a crime. However, they are not guilty of any crime, or at least not one that can be proven. In the eyes of the law, they did nothing wrong.

This differs from Payne Haas, Anthony Milford, TC Robati and Reece Walsh who were arrested and charged. Dealt with by the police and courts, the way the real world works. That should be enough.

Getting histrionic about what players do on their holidays is a kangaroo court and miscarriage of justice. The players union should stand up to this shit. It's none of their employer's business. And these obscene fines are inappropriate. In what other job does that happen? Either terminate their employment, put them on notice or shut the **** up.

As for being sent to "rehab" what a fucking joke. This is the height of PR window dressing. These players don't need "rehab" for drugs. They're blowing off steam in the off season. If they have a genuine drug problem it will get flagged during the season proper, and the appropriate measures taken.
lol fucking what?

If have and orgy/bender at the local Meriton and some idiot films the use of charlie - the police will drug test and charge me as well as investigate possession and how it came to be.

It's insane that they expect us to believe that. Everyone who has ever gotten trashed knows you dont just lose your entire memory of the night. Maybe those three are coming down with early onset dementia or something.
Excessive drug use will do that to you, if you catch my drift.

No it’s about being a public facing organisation that needs to set standards and think about its image to parents who are thinking about which sports their kids will pathway into. Whether you personally think it is an issue is irrelevant as it is for anyone’s personal view. It is about public perception. I can’t believe I have to spell this out.
It's a job in the entertainment industry. Do TV presenters or musicians get fined? What about clowns?

lol fucking what?

If have and orgy/bender at the local Meriton and some idiot films the use of charlie - the police will drug test and charge me as well as investigate possession and how it came to be.
It's not illegal to have drugs in your system unless you're driving. You might have something in your employment contract that prohibits it, but that's between you and your employer. Video of drug use is not proof of drug use. It is only illegal to possess them. That is why Reece is in a different camp.

Besides which, if you break the law, the remedy already exists. We don't need to compound it just to satisfy our bloodlust.

It's a job in the entertainment industry. Do TV presenters or musicians get fined? What about clowns?

It's not illegal to have drugs in your system unless you're driving. You might have something in your employment contract that prohibits it, but that's between you and your employer. Video of drug use is not proof of drug use. It is only illegal to possess them. That is why Reece is in a different camp.

Besides which, if you break the law, the remedy already exists. We don't need to compound it just to satisfy our bloodlust.
LOL, I think we know who the clown is here mate :rofl

I seriously cannot fathom how this needs to be explained - their actions have brought the game into disrepute, and the club and/or NRL have every right to impose a punishment

Which if you are partaking in use, you would have by nature been in possession. The shit just doesnt magically appear in thin air and find its way up the nostril. To which they have broken the law.

The Storm players shouldn't have been punished at all, and certainly not by the NRL. They are adults, subject to the law the same as us. They are guilty of being morons, allowing themselves to be filmed committing a crime. However, they are not guilty of any crime, or at least not one that can be proven. In the eyes of the law, they did nothing wrong.

This differs from Payne Haas, Anthony Milford, TC Robati and Reece Walsh who were arrested and charged. Dealt with by the police and courts, the way the real world works. That should be enough.

Getting histrionic about what players do on their holidays is a kangaroo court and miscarriage of justice. The players union should stand up to this shit. It's none of their employer's business. And these obscene fines are inappropriate. In what other job does that happen? Either terminate their employment, put them on notice or shut the **** up.

As for being sent to "rehab" what a fucking joke. This is the height of PR window dressing. These players don't need "rehab" for drugs. They're blowing off steam in the off season. If they have a genuine drug problem it will get flagged during the season proper, and the appropriate measures taken.

Their contract they sign details they won't do this, the NRL have every right to punish their employee.

Which if you are partaking in use, you would have by nature been in possession. The shit just doesnt magically appear in thin air and find its way up the nostril. To which they have broken the law.
You still can’t be charged by the police though.

Or or or we could just move on. I mean, who cares? I certainly don't . Seasons over, the game's image is completely and utterly unaffected. It survived thousands of things and many of them were far far worse. Just think steroids, salary cap cheating, murders, rapes and multiple assaults. So so many things, gambling corruption, bent refs you name it and like water off a ducks back, all gone and the game moves on serenely.

LOL, I think we know who the clown is here mate :rofl

I seriously cannot fathom how this needs to be explained - their actions have brought the game into disrepute, and the club and/or NRL have every right to impose a punishment
The game is in "disrepute?" Bullshit. The offender is. I don't know why people keep repeating that nonsense like it means something.

Their contract they sign details they won't do this, the NRL have every right to punish their employee.

Why do they have a right to fine a player? The players union should refuse to sign any clause that enforces that. It's shite. No other employer pulls a stunt like this. Bear in mind I'm talking about off-field transgressions, where their behaviour is subject to the law of the land.

**** the NRL treating them like children. They're men.

Cops don't magically appear out of thin air either. The horse had long bolted.

Why do they have a right to fine a player? The players union should refuse to sign any clause that enforces that. It's shite. No other employer pulls a stunt like this. Bear in mind I'm talking about off-field transgressions, where their behaviour is subject to the law of the land.

**** the NRL treating them like children. They're men.

I guess the answer is if you don’t like their rules go find an employer that lets you do what you want.

You don’t have to play in the NRL make a stance and say I want to be able to harm the game with my behaviour I’m not signing this contract.

Real Rosa Parkes moment.

Don’t stand for it any longer!

I guess the answer is if you don’t like their rules go find an employer that lets you do what you want.

You don’t have to play in the NRL make a stance and say I want to be able to harm the game with my behaviour I’m not signing this contract.

Real Rosa Parkes moment.

Don’t stand for it any longer!
I guess that's why they've been bullied into it. It's not a hill you would start out to die on.

Nevertheless fining your employee for something they did on their own time, while on holidays, is fucking obscene. The game suspension, well okay, they can do whatever they like there to make a little circus out of it. It's all window dressing.

I don't think you can object to the suspensions per se, although I think once the infringement crosses into the public domain it should be a public issue, not a private one.

My objection is chiefly about fining your employees for shit that happens off the field, that has nothing to do with their job. I'm not aware of any other class of employer who takes pay off their employees. I'm aware other sports do it too. I don't understand how they get away with it. It seems extrajudicial, like they exist in another universe outside the law.

As for their jobs being role models, please, they're fucking boof headed footballers with shit for brains. They're paid to beat each other around under specific rules that say it's okay to beat each other around. If they weren't on a football field it would be assault.

I guess that's why they've been bullied into it. It's not a hill you would start out to die on.

Nevertheless fining your employee for something they did on their own time, while on holidays, is fucking obscene. The game suspension, well okay, they can do whatever they like there to make a little circus out of it. It's all window dressing.

I don't think you can object to the suspensions per se, although I think once the infringement crosses into the public domain it should be a public issue, not a private one.

My objection is chiefly about fining your employees for shit that happens off the field, that has nothing to do with their job. I'm not aware of any other class of employer who takes pay off their employees. I'm aware other sports do it too. I don't understand how they get away with it. It seems extrajudicial, like they exist in another universe outside the law.

As for their jobs being role models, please, they're fucking boof headed footballers with shit for brains. They're paid to beat each other around under specific rules that say it's okay to beat each other around. If they weren't on a football field it would be assault.

Sign here and you can play NRL and make 700k a year. All you have to do is behave like a human grown up.

Oh the bullies! The horror. Won’t someone think of the 28 year old! Please!

Must be a 13 year old in Africa saying terrible life, glad I’m not him.

What justifies the NRL fining players for these types of misdemeanors is the fact that poor behavior from players that finds its way into the public eye can affect the whole operation. It is detrimental to the competition's image, which affects the competition's ability and clubs' abilities to attract and keep sponsorships etc etc etc.

If enough damage was done to the NRL's image through more and more off field incidents involving serious offences by players, eventually players wouldn't be getting six and seven figure earnings through the game.

Sign here and you can play NRL and make 700k a year. All you have to do is behave like a human grown up.

Oh the bullies! The horror. Won’t someone think of the 28 year old! Please!

Must be a 13 year old in Africa saying terrible life, glad I’m not him.
What justifies the NRL fining players for these types of misdemeanors is the fact that poor behavior from players that finds its way into the public eye can affect the whole operation. It is detrimental to the competition's image, which affects the competition's ability and clubs' abilities to attract and keep sponsorships etc etc etc.

If enough damage was done to the NRL's image through more and more off field incidents involving serious offences by players, eventually players wouldn't be getting six and seven figure earnings through the game.

What other employer fines their employees for such a contrived reason? The notion that a player taking cocaine makes the sport look bad is utter nonsense. The player looks how he looks, not his employer.

If you post a picture of your testicles dangling over a Big Mac on Instagram, are you going to get fined by your employer McDonalds for bringing their delicous range of fast food into "disrepute?" Or is the worst thing that could happen is you'd get a warning?

This "bringing the game into disrepute" chestnut is a load of hairy pie.

What other employer fines their employees for such a contrived reason? The notion that a player taking cocaine makes the sport look bad is utter nonsense. The player looks how he looks, not his employer.

If you post a picture of your testicles dangling over a Big Mac on Instagram, are you going to get fined by your employer McDonalds for bringing their delicous range of fast food into "disrepute?" Or is the worst thing that could happen is you'd get a warning?

You’d get sacked

What other company pays its employees as much as these guys? As has already been explained to you, why do they get paid so much? Because they are public figures and therefore have a responsibility to live up to certain standards.

Employees on similar salaries as these blokes are all at executive levels, do you think executive level staff would be laughed off if they did something like this and bought disrepute upon the company they are effectively the face of? It is about brand image and if they don't want to agree to this as part of their role than they should also not agree to getting hundreds of thousands / millions of dollars.

Active Now

• armchair
  • broncoscope
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Clintos
  • Fozz
  • Dash
  • simplythebest
  • winslow_wong
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Bronx48
  • Jedhead
  • Foordy
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Bish
  • Culhwch
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • Broncorob
  • Fitzy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.