PLAYER Reece Walsh

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
When you're going in for a regular tackle and the player falls/slips and you hit them high, you're still penalized. So why would this incident be any different?

The onus is always on the defender to not make contact with the head. When you make the choice to shoot out of the line to put on a big hit and it goes wrong, you suffer the consequences.

If he just goes in for a regular tackle, it's nothing more than a penalty. But he doesn't do that so the consequences are harsher.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
he needs to keep his feet at the line or he'll keep getting his head taken off. both of his feet slipped before contact last night, if they didnt the tackle hits him in the chest.
i dont understand GIF

I thought Fatty in his horrendous commentary has lost the plot yesterday. My god, CH9 commentary was absolute clusterfuck.

How the heck was Walsh at fault and not the cockroach tackler?
In the very 1st set itself Walsh was taken out by Martin yet Clown turned a blind eye to it. If that tackle itself didn't tell whats NSW game plan for Walsh is, then I you’re lost mate.

QLD coaching staff have come out and said that these dog hits have no place in the game. Hopefully, Broncos does too.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Unfortunately through no fault of his own I think Walsh will have a far shorter career than he should.
So in theory no one should have any issues with Reece squeezing every dollar out of Brisbane before re-signing?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
So in theory no one should have any issues with Reece squeezing every dollar out of Brisbane before re-signing?
No the NRL should actually do something about this bullshit and practice the bullshit about protecting the players.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
No the NRL should actually do something about this bullshit and practice the bullshit about protecting the players.
What would be an appropriate punishment in your eyes? Being sent from the field and auto 4 week suspension is evidently not enough in the eyes of many, so how long should he be suspended for? Because you've already done the maximum you can do in the moment, so what else should be a deterrent? 8 weeks? 12?

Interesting that even though we accept he'll have a shorter career with hits like these, we still can't shake the tribal element of no he should just re-sign for less than the max because colours - so how much do we really care about his wellbeing? Or is it just his wellbeing while playing for the colours we like.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
What would be an appropriate punishment in your eyes? Being sent from the field and auto 4 week suspension is evidently not enough in the eyes of many, so how long should he be suspended for? Because you've already done the maximum you can do in the moment, so what else should be a deterrent? 8 weeks? 12?

Interesting that even though we accept he'll have a shorter career with hits like these, we still can't shake the tribal element of no he should just re-sign for less than the max because colours - so how much do we really care about his wellbeing? Or is it just his wellbeing while playing for the colours we like.
It's about consistency.

Just last week JWH smoked someone with his shoulder directly to his head ... no penalty, no sin bin and his 400th Grade 1 fine
Sivo has been smoking people high rushing in... sometimes it's a penalty, sometimes he gets binned... most times he's missing weeks
Taylan May comes in recklessly and contacts Walsh high after he's passed it... zero punishment... a few weeks later something similar happened and it came out as a Grade 1

Entirety of the media were building up that Walsh had to be targetted and had to be belted out of the game... he touched it like 3 times last night and was hit illegally each time (hit in the air after kicking is an automatic penalty, late flop on a kick return and then getting shotted in the head from Suaalii after passing)... reffing did nothing to try and curb the illegal play.

NRL talk a whole bunch of shit about safety and player welfare, but then rarely back it up, because they're shit scared of teh media... in this instance they made the right call... but then you have fuckwits in the media saying it should've been play on, because "occasion"

NRL should come out and confirm that it was the correct call on the field... they should also come out and indicate that it's fine for players to jam in, but if they make dangerous contact to the head then it will be punished harshly and then they have to actually follow through with it.

Repeat offenders like JWH keep doing it and then never get punished... Suaalii constantly gets dangerous contact charges for kneeing blokes in the head, but has rarely served a suspension.

NRL need to start walking the walk

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
@BroncsFan
At the risk of sounding like a dictator, the NRL probably need to get their media personalities in line if they want to maintain the consistency as well.

Hard to be consistent when they're attacked regardless of whether it's the right call or not. I mean you've got a prominent commentator saying it wasn't that bad.

The NRL aren't at the behest of the media, but it's hard to swim in a whirlpool.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I'm almost convinced a few NRL teams are prepared to tread a fine line if it means taking out an opposition outside back, we've seen a few times this year when a team is force to re-shuffle their centres/wingers it really does open up down that side of the field.
Which is why a clear message has to ring out......take the punt and get it wrong. You're off.

So while you might take out the player you've targeted....you'll be playing the rest of the game with 12 men.

Still want to tread that fine line....?

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
For the accidental shot gone wrong......?

1 week. The same as the guy you put into a HIA.
1 week is a bit of a tap on the wrist and doesn't really send much of a message. Personally I'm fine with 4 on those, but anything more is just bloodlust from the aggrieved. I think many will disagree with both of us though.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
@BroncsFan
At the risk of sounding like a dictator, the NRL probably need to get their media personalities in line if they want to maintain the consistency as well.

Hard to be consistent when they're attacked regardless of whether it's the right call or not. I mean you've got a prominent commentator saying it wasn't that bad.

The NRL aren't at the behest of the media, but it's hard to swim in a whirlpool.
100% ... they're clearly shit scared of the media and their opinions, but league commentators are so unprofessional it's ridiculous.

They appear incapable of removing their bias from any comment they make and the whole setup is jobs for the boys and wanting to relive their glory days like it's the 80's.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
1 week is a bit of a tap on the wrist and doesn't really send much of a message. Personally I'm fine with 4 on those, but anything more is just bloodlust from the aggrieved. I think many will disagree with both of us though.

If you cause a concussion that leads to the eleven day protocol through careless or reckless actions, you get stood down the same amount of time/games as the concussed player, at a minimum.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
@ningnangnong

Mate he's 20 years old. He probably doesn't know a life without social media.

It's a totally different world comparatively. SM is validation. It's weird for us oldies over 30 but for them it's everything.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • TommieToona
  • Mr Fourex
  • HVbronco
  • Alec
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • BroncosAlways
  • Pablo
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Dash
  • bazza
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.