Reffing

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Started the season pretty good with regards to the reffing, but it has hit a new low.

The Broncos v Titans game was pretty bad, the refs blowing the pea out of the whistle all night.

However the Penrith v Parramatta game was ATTROCIOUS. Parra should have won that game, but some strange penalty at the 5m line confused Parra and Penrith scored. NOt only did they score then, but they scored after a head high tackle earlier in the match. Now didn't they make up some rule that any contact with the head was illegal?

I was going for Penrith, but if that had of been the Broncos losing that match I would be furious.

I am so sick of the Refs. What can we as fans do about it?:ranting:

It wasn't a penalty, it was handover apparently. The penrith player was ruled not to have played at it.

Man, that loss cost me the top spot for the third quarter of my work tipping comp.

It wasn't a penalty, it was handover apparently. The penrith player was ruled not to have played at it.

Man, that loss cost me the top spot for the third quarter of my work tipping comp.

Oh man, it was a complete balls up if that is the case. Everyone thought it was played at. What a joke.

It wasn't played at by the Penrith player as the ball was kicked into his head as he was turning away from it.

what got me was that that the ref called time off for the last few seconds of the game ..... something they don't normally do ????

Anyway, parra should've won ..... Burt shouldn't have died with the ball

I thought the problem was that the ref (Checchin???) indicated with his hands that it was 6 to go for Parra or something?

I think it was Maxwell - Checcin did the Raiders/Storm game yesterday. I noticed in that game that Billy Slater bumped into him at one point - I wonder if he'll bitch and moan like he did about the JT incident...

I remeber Checchin getting up my nose at some point this weekend, :shake: I remember it was his warning to one of the Raiders players. Geeze he's a shocker. As is the video ref Mooney? Argh. Anytime he has to make a call it's usually the opposite to what I think.

I play C Grade touch footy, and the ref's down there make nowhere near as many bad decisions as they do at NRL level. Is it the pressure? the ego?

The reffing was definitely dismal this weekend, but I didn't think the Eels copped the worst of it.
Both the Broncos and the chooks have plenty to complain about, but we won the game easy.
The chooks on the other hand saw souffs scoring 2 of their tries irregularly, especially the one with a blatant knock on leading up to the try, that wasn't even sent to the video ref. And I ask why not? You would almost say the ref was afraid the try would be denied... :shake:

what got me was that that the ref called time off for the last few seconds of the game ..... something they don't normally do ????

Anyway, parra should've won ..... Burt shouldn't have died with the ball

Burt wasn't relinquishing the ball so I think that prompted the refs to call time out.

Eels fault though. Seriously the WORST clock management ever. You get 40 seconds before you have to drop the ball out, so why you wouldn't just run backwards and take the ball dead is totally beyond me. Nobody ever accused the Eels of being smart though.

I also think Brett Stewart should have been sent to the bin for a professional foul. But because it was Brett Stewart he didn't.

Nothing wrong with the ruling in the Parra-Penrith game. Wasn't played at, handover on the 20 where Burt got the ball. Ball wasn't handed over quickly enough and bang..time out called.

Would the ref call time off if that occured in the 10th minute? Nope.

BUT - Would the player try and waste time if that occured in the 10th minute? NO!

Therefore - Fair call for the ref to call time out!

QFT. Suck it up Eels and get over it.

I thought it was a good decision when I watched the game, and nothing has changed. I can't believe all the fuss. Parra kicked the ball and it went straight into a Penrith players melon. As if he played at it!

At first I was up in arms about the Parra/Penrith call but in hindsight, take a bow Maxwell, great call, 100% correct.

The reffing was definitely dismal this weekend, but I didn't think the Eels copped the worst of it.
Both the Broncos and the chooks have plenty to complain about, but we won the game easy.
The chooks on the other hand saw souffs scoring 2 of their tries irregularly, especially the one with a blatant knock on leading up to the try, that wasn't even sent to the video ref. And I ask why not? You would almost say the ref was afraid the try would be denied... :shake:
Can you tell me which tries you are talking about? I just watched the tries again to see and the only questionable one is the forward pass from Issac Luke, however I saw Jamie Soward throw an identical ball on Monday (around 3 minute mark, wasn't for a try though) and not a word about it being forward. Plus Inglis could have been penalised for walking off the mark in the lead up to his try that took it too golden point.

Roosters got away with their fair share as well. SKD tackling Inglis in the air, he never attempted to go for the ball. Forward passes missed (for both teams) 17th minute Friend passes a ball further forward than Issac Luke's pass that leads to a try. You could even call Pearces pass to SKD try close to forward (we know those have been called up before). The 29th mark, Symonds comes through the play the ball and knocks the ball out of Pettybourne's hands with his knee, ref rules loose carry and Pettybourne blows up and Roosters get the penalty. I could find more from this match and just as many from the weekend's matches.

Maybe you should watch the match again and go through and count the mistakes by the refs and realise both teams got some tough calls. Yet, this happens in every game and depending on your bias/hatred for a team you will see more than others.

Last edited:
So to summarise what Twiztid said "The refs are crap all round"

At first I was up in arms about the Parra/Penrith call but in hindsight, take a bow Maxwell, great call, 100% correct.
Did you hear the ref's mic replay on nrl on fox last night? he was calling 5th tackle 5th tackle once Burt got the ball!! so Luke Burt thought he had one more tackle. Terrible refereeing. Parra had every right to be upset.

Did you hear the ref's mic replay on nrl on fox last night? he was calling 5th tackle 5th tackle once Burt got the ball!! so Luke Burt thought he had one more tackle. Terrible refereeing. Parra had every right to be upset.

Huh? Really? Did the ref have his arm up to signal 5 and last at the play the ball? In which case, Burt's a moron, because if he called out "5th tackle" after the kick ricocheted off a Penrith player then that means it's still last.

I still don't see how it's an excuse.

It wasn't a charge down. It was a hand over. I don't see what the hissyfit is about.

No it was really quite confusing...You'd have to see the footage I guess. But he kept calling it after burt was tackled as well....

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • theshed
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosMan
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
  • bazza
  • BroncosAlways
  • AscotinOz
  • Fatboy
  • Bish
  • Splinter
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.