Ricky Stuart is a fraud

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Whether Stuart left the Eels for family reasons or not, Peter Sterling summed it up when he said that 2013 was a wasted year for Parramatta. Stuart came in, effectively sacked 12 players and then left.

It's like the captain of the Titanic fell asleep at the helm, Stuart came in and steered it into the iceberg and released all the lifeboats, saving himself and letting everyone else drown.

True, but if any side really needed a cleanout, it's Parra.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
True, but if any side really needed a cleanout, it's Parra.

Agreed.

I really hate to say it, but i think Stuart was on the right path as far as ditching some of the players he did.

I don't, however, think he was the right guy to try to take Parra back to the force they once were.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I don't think Ricky left Parramatta for family reasons entirely but it would've played a big part in his decision to leave. In code language he said he was leaving for his just for his family when in English he was saying "I've given it my best shot but I can't do anything for you bugger this i'm off".

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
I don't think Ricky left Parramatta for family reasons entirely but it would've played a big part in his decision to leave. In code language he said he was leaving for his just for his family when in English he was saying "I've given it my best shot but I can't do anything for you bugger this i'm off".
Don't think the end bit would've had anything to do with it, more a case the board is a mess and half of em wanted him gone so the writing was on the wall, accept an offer to coach Canberra or run the risk of being sacked and missing out on another 1st grade gig.

Rickys got a mixed history with coaching so a bit of a lottery how he'll go in Canberra but his style could be just what we currently need, a disciplinarian who is big on defence which along with consistency have been out biggest weaknesses for an eternity, my main concern is roster management but with the current re-signings of Lee, Wighton, Pengai it's looking good so far and the players appear to be buying what he's selling.

Hes a strange one, league fans don't think much of him but those within league do, I'd put money on Canberra being his last chance though, fail there and his careers gone.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I just think Ricky is the last coach you'd want to rebuild your roster. Sure, when the roster is there, then Ricky can do a job turning them into champions but when they're in the state the Raiders are in than I don't think he has what it takes. The whole thing hinges on how much the Raiders players respect him and I think that's a huge gamble.

People point to the Sharks but forget they had a decent roster before Stuart even arrived. Not to mention, it was really just one good season in a tenure of four years, which ended with the Sharks becoming the easy beats of the competition. That isn't rebuilding, that's deceiving. For all that heart-attack, Sharks fans only had one year of 'glory', where they never looked like premiers and pretty much got by because they were largely unaffected by Origin. (Bird and Gallen - backrows are probably the easiest position to cater for in League).

For the Raiders sake, I hope Ricky bucks the trend in the Nation's Capitol. However, on the surface it seems like a nothing move.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
I just think Ricky is the last coach you'd want to rebuild your roster. Sure, when the roster is there, then Ricky can do a job turning them into champions but when they're in the state the Raiders are in than I don't think he has what it takes. The whole thing hinges on how much the Raiders players respect him and I think that's a huge gamble.

I don't think the Raiders really need to 'rebuild' as such though. Or not in terms of finding the players ... they have a mix of good older players and plenty of young guys knocking on the door.

I think the Raiders just need to rebuild in terms of attitude and finding the right mix of old and new

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
The problem I see is that the players , especially the young one look to the coach for direction and guidance. When they see him losing his rag on the sidelines and in the media, it's pretty disheartening.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The problem is the talent they have are at two different extremes.

The senior players are closer to retirement than their prime and won't be able to offer the guidance the Raiders need.

Meanwhile, the juniors who should be the Raiders bread and butter are still a year or so away from hitting their peak.

They need a coach who's going to go down there and make the tough decisions. Ricky's efforts at his past three clubs leaves a lot to be desired in that regard.

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
Raiders roster needs more nurturing than rebuilding, they have the players there and coming through its just the case of getting the best out of them on a consistent basis and helping the juniors develop to their full potential. Players respect is for some reason a trouble Ricky doesn't have, it's fans that don't respect him. If Milf and Rhueben are the only 2 that don't re-sign then Ricky has the players to do well in coming years (maybe not 2014 as juniors need time to develop hence why it would still be good to keep Milf even for just 2014, Ahearn will probably need a year against men before stepping up)

How Ricky goes at the Raiders I think will be career defining, his main goals need to be retaining players, consistency, discipline and defence.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
The problem is the talent they have are at two different extremes.

The senior players are closer to retirement than their prime and won't be able to offer the guidance the Raiders need.

the only place I see that happening is in the halves, where McCrone is in the doldrums, Campese is broken and Cornish is too young. Maybe at hooker too

in the front row Shillo and Tilse still have a year or two and after that I think that Vaughan, Boyd and Nicholls will easily be ready for bigger roles. The backrow is good and they have Croker, Wighton and Lee all locked up in the centres. then at fullback Robinson is plenty good and they have Ahearn coming through to replace him in a few years.

I think by the time their current players hit retirement, the younger players will be past the stage where they need nurturing and guiding in the NRL. The only spot of bother would be the halves

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
They need a coach who's going to go down there and make the tough decisions. Ricky's efforts at his past three clubs leaves a lot to be desired in that regard.
Can't get much tougher than sacking half a team. :laugh:

Ages of players is a bit wider than you think, Shillo, TLL and Tilse aren't close to retirement, neither is Campo if he can come back strong, McCrone (who I hope isn't re-signed), Fensom, and while Croker is still young he's already played over 100 games.

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
the only place I see that happening is in the halves, where McCrone is in the doldrums, Campese is broken and Cornish is too young. Maybe at hooker too
Hooker is by far our biggest weakness.

Cornish is still young but has plenty of big game experience in the u20s and rep games plus spent a lot of time at the Mounties this year so hopefully is ready. Campo is a big question mark, 2 ACLs in two years, regarded as an injury that takes a year to fully recover (which explains his poor form this year) and this is his first off season of full training so while I'm cautious I'm not writing him off yet, also his passion and leadership are vital.

mcCrone is just rubbish I really wish the rumours of you guys chasing him were true :laugh:

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Can't get much tougher than sacking half a team. :laugh:

And replacing them with what?

Most of the players he got rid of, were players most coaches would cut at the end of the season regardless.

Age doesn't matter when it comes to players like Campo and TLL - both are pretty much on their last legs given the injuries. Tilse is nothing to write home about and Shillo is on his last legs.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Cornish is still young but has plenty of big game experience in the u20s and rep games plus spent a lot of time at the Mounties this year so hopefully is ready. Campo is a big question mark, 2 ACLs in two years, regarded as an injury that takes a year to fully recover (which explains his poor form this year) and this is his first off season of full training so while I'm cautious I'm not writing him off yet, also his passion and leadership are vital.

mcCrone is just rubbish I really wish the rumours of you guys chasing him were true :laugh:

Haha yeah I was horrified when that mccrone rumour came about, if he was our only option if rather thaiday play in the halves

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Ricky always struggles as a coach when voids are left or when there is instability in the team. Their halves are a worry; Campese spends more time on the sidelines, McCrone isn't much chop, Sam Williams is in the McCrone category and Milford might leave. The rest of the team is good though and they have some good young juniors coming through the NYC under 20's. I think Ricky will have trouble getting the team to the finals and a bottom 4 finish is a possibility again.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Ricky always struggles as a coach when voids are left or when there is instability in the team. Their halves are a worry; Campese spends more time on the sidelines, McCrone isn't much chop, Sam Williams is in the McCrone category and Milford might leave. The rest of the team is good though and they have some good young juniors coming through the NYC under 20's. I think Ricky will have trouble getting the team to the finals and a bottom 4 finish is a possibility again.

Sam Williams has already gone to the dragons, but I agree with what you have said

Xavier

Xavier

NYC Player
Mar 24, 2013

Forget about buying a hooker.
What the Raiders real issue will be is when some of the older players under perform, and Ricky throws in the young players too early and ruins their confidence and careers.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • Strop
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Big Del
  • Stix
  • Broncorob
  • Porthoz
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • kiwi2
  • Dony Eliakim
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.