Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Rising Star Riki Locks In With Broncos​

broncos.com.au
Tue 23 Mar 2021, 04:52 PM

Boom backrower Jordan Riki has committed to the Brisbane Broncos for a three-year contract to the end of the 2024 season.

The 21-year-old has used his powerful running, tough defence and high workrate to put his stamp on a second row starting spot since making his NRL debut for the Broncos in Round 14 last season.

Riki, who was a standout for the Maori team in the All Stars Game last month, is a product of Brisbane’s elite development program having been with the Broncos since he was 14 years of age.

In staying loyal to the Broncos, he joins a growing pack of high quality forwards in their early-20s committed to the club on multi-year deals including Payne Haas, Pat Carrigan, Tom Flegler and Ethan Bullemor.

Riki said: “I’m very excited and I can’t wait to rip in for the next three years. I’ve made a lot of close friends here at the Broncos – I call them family now – so I’m really comfortable here and I’m just so grateful to be staying.

“I’ve worked my butt off trying to get here and this was my dream and I’m so glad that can stay at this great club. It’s really exciting and every time I get to the stadium I have to pinch myself and remind myself that I’m a Bronco.

“I really want to work hard for the fans and my family and the people upstairs at the club behind the scenes, as well as my teammates and (coach) Kevie (Walters) and the coaching staff – it’s just really exciting to be here for the next three years.”

Broncos legend Petero Civoniceva – one of Riki’s mentors at the Club – said: “It’s fantastic news – Jordie is a player who I’ve been very much impressed with not just on the field but off the field as well.

“He’s got a great work ethic, he trains extremely hard and he was super impressive in the preseason, then carried that through into the season proper with some really good performances, it’s great news for the club moving forward.

“With my role with the Club I get a great opportunity to build a relationship with the players away from footy and I’m really enjoying my time working with Jordie.

“I’m excited to watch his career develop but at the same time to surround him with some people like myself, and other former players and the great staff that we have here at the Broncos to provide the support he needs as he starts his NRL career.”

Broncos coach Kevin Walters said Riki’s retention was great news for the Club and another key player locked into the team’s roster.

“Jordan is a really impressive young man and a player with enormous talent and potential who works hard to improve,” said Walters.

“He is exactly the kind of player we want in the Broncos jersey – we are building something special here and have started on that journey together.

“We know where are headed and we have a plan, Jordan has bought into that and wants to be a part of it, and that is something special for the whole club.”

Not bad

I love this for three reasons:

1. Finally some pen on paper
2. He is an amazing talent, has an amazing work ethic and is a future leader, plus those arms are dreamy
3. This has made the journalists look like the absolute hacks and fantasy writers that they are

I love this for three reasons:

1. Finally some pen on paper
2. He is an amazing talent, has an amazing work ethic and is a future leader, plus those arms are dreamy
3. This has made the journalists look like the absolute hacks and fantasy writers that they are
Absolutely Sprojie! This fella really has 'future captain' written all over him and has become my fave Bronco. Some great news at last lads. He is gonna be such an important part of our rebuild!

That is bad news... for the dragons.

If it were true, it would be an amazing outcome for us. Regardless of how Milf goes the rest of this year, we just need to move on.

Given the timing of the Badel article and the official announcement ... i have to wonder if we were trolling the media here and actually had his signature a week ago.

have it leaked that the Warriors and a Sydney club are trying to poach him.

wait until Badel prints his "exclusive"

then immediately announce Riki's retention, making Badel look stupid

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Rough and Ready
  • Sproj
  • Scorchie
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.