OFFICIAL Rising Star Riki Locks In With Broncos

Isn't there a 10 day cooling off period before you can announce it?
If so likely had it for atleast that long

Last edited:
If it were true, it would be an amazing outcome for us. Regardless of how Milf goes the rest of this year, we just need to move on.
I'm over him going missing all the time and the blame being placed on the other half. His one thing was that he used to be able to run and dodge but he ran straight into the fullback on the few breaks made in the Parra game. If he's injured like Huge said then that's a good opportunity to bring in Dearden.

Given the timing of the Badel article and the official announcement ... i have to wonder if we were trolling the media here and actually had his signature a week ago.

have it leaked that the Warriors and a Sydney club are trying to poach him.

wait until Badel prints his "exclusive"

then immediately announce Riki's retention, making Badel look stupid
Riki's imminent signing was leaked everywhere last week.

On keeping Brendan Piakura.

Walters:

“I don’t want the Broncos losing these kids. We lost ‘Walshy’ to the Warriors but I’m working hard to keep Jordan and Brendan. I’m doing everything I can to make sure our best young talents stay — you can quote me on that. We’re in talks with Brendan’s management, we’re aware he has interest but we don’t want to be losing our best kids.”

Carrigan:

"It’s really important to keep him. I know what Brendan is going through. As a young kid, you are 18 and a few clubs are chasing you and it feels pretty cool. I love the Broncos, but ‘Brendy’ has to weigh up what is best for himself and where he can best develop. The club value him really highly and I hope he decides to put on a Broncos jumper ahead of the Bulldogs.”

McHunt

i think a players current club can announce it any time.
That's right. No cooling down period applies if extending contact with current club. A new club requires 10 business day cooling off period and can't be announced publicly until that period is served.

I actually think this kid could develop into an even better 13 than edge. He is robust defensively which I think could well be better used in the Middle. He can still carry the ball on the A defender on the edge along with a carry through the middle as required.
He has a good engine, good footwork and leg speed.
Interesting to see the rule changes have seen an increase of trys either right through the middle or the A defender slot and not just the out the back plays to the edge and even more so the wingers. The middles who are either poor laterally or a touch slower are being found out very quickly now
I think he can benefit by shifting to 13 over the years to come and become a real power option with the ball and an enforcer with out it.
I have been a Carrigan fan a long time, but riki offers more now.

Last edited:
I actually think this kid could develop into an even better 13 than edge. He is robust defensively which I think could well be better used in the Middle. He can still carry the ball on the A defender on the edge along with a carry through the middle as required.
Interesting to see the rule changes have seen an increase of trys either right through the middle or the A defender slot and not just the out the back plays to the edge and even more so the wingers. The middles who are either poor laterally or a touch slower are being found out very quickly now
I think he can benefit by shifting to 13 over the years to come and become a real power option with the ball and an enforcer with out it.
So you’d move Carrigan to prop?

Do we not have that in tpj? Carrigan should be playing prop with prop minutes.

Do we not have that in tpj? Carrigan should be playing prop with prop minutes.
Tpj short term, but riki long term. And no reason there can't be 2 enforcers in the middle with similar defensive and attacking abilities. I also think tpj is better on the edge, his best games are when he gets 1 out and then attracts 2 and 3 with a late offload. You can also get 80 mins out of him on the edge

Last edited:
So you’d move Carrigan to prop?
I just don't know with carrigan, maybe even a move back to the bench. He no doubt does a hell of a lot of work but he is very up and down, so maybe 8 or 10 maybe his go long term. I just think riki would offer more dynamically.

Random question but what was Riki like coming through the lower grades? Everyone is after Piakura yet Riki seems as good as you would ever want from a second rower and I barely heard his name mentioned until the week of his first grade debut.

Why do some get more attention than others?

Random question but what was Riki like coming through the lower grades? Everyone is after Piakura yet Riki seems as good as you would ever want from a second rower and I barely heard his name mentioned until the week of his first grade debut.

Why do some get more attention than others?

The young Queensland prospects get far more attention by the Brisbane media. Example: Fifita, Fa'asuamaleaui, Niu, Dearden, Walsh, etc.

Riki is a kiwi, so hasn't been in the emerging origin camps, which is where a good portion of the media hype is generated.

And I also put it down to his hair. He looks normal, doesn’t have a mullet, a Carrigan style wig, spikes or whatever it is Paps thinks is cool for some reason. I’m joking of course.

The way Riki stepped up when others were falling to pieces was a good sign.

It's a joke considering that's something a captain is supposed to do.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • NSW stables
  • Johnny92
  • Spoon
  • The Don
  • Skyblues87
  • Alec
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Santa
  • Broncosarethebest
  • bert_lifts
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • BroncosAlways
  • BooKhaki
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Foordy
  • mystico
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.