Rnd #1 Broncos line-up

Staggs isn't a good enough goal kicker if Issako is pushed to q/c we can lose 6 points give or take a game and that's enough to get us a loss easily Issako needs to be wing at least.

When they were both fulltime kickers they were pretty similar in ISC.

2017- Isaako 80 goals and nine tries- 196 points- 4th most.
2018- Staggs 63 goals and 13 tries- 178 points- 1st

Staggs 14 games though and Isaako 23.

Staggs 1/6 in Colts earlier in 2018. From two games.

Last edited:
When they were both fulltime kickers they were pretty similar in ISC.

2017- Isaako 80 goals and nine tries- 196 points- 4th most.
2018- Staggs 63 goals and 13 tries- 178 points- 1st

Staggs 14 games though and Isaako 23.

Staggs 1/6 in Colts earlier in 2018. From two games.

Percentages are what matter with goal kickers, not total number of goals kicked

Percentages are what matter with goal kickers, not total number of goals kicked

Pretty sure total goals matters, if you kick 140 in a year even if that's 60% you're going to have a huge points tally and a NRL record.

Yeah, accuracy reflects on the player while total number probably reflects more on the team.
I wish there was a way to break down the sideline accuracy vs "straight in front" accuracy. I can imagine Parker kicking more from out wide than Isaako.

Yeah, accuracy reflects on the player while total number probably reflects more on the team.
I wish there was a way to break down the sideline accuracy vs "straight in front" accuracy. I can imagine Parker kicking more from out wide than Isaako.
Isaako kicked pretty well in the nines. He’s also handy at long range field goals. The question mark is only his defence, isn’t it?

What?..

Total goals is so irrelevant, Parker probably kicked more goals than Isaako every year, does that make him a superior, or even comparable goal kicking option?

My point is total goals does matter. The year Hazem kicked 139 goals and 342 points what was his percent? Don’t know? Me either because no one cares and it didn’t matter.

So if Isaako kicked 140 goals would anyone say- just unhappy with his percent it really could be a smidgen higher?

Last edited:
My point is total goals does matter. The year Hazem kicked 139 goals and 342 points what was his percent? Don’t know? Me either because no one cares and it didn’t matter.

So if Isaako kicked 140 goals would anyone say- just unhappy with his percent it really could be a smidgen higher?

If we lost a handful of games by a couple of missed conversions and missed the finals, then yes?

83.2%

Yes, that's exactly what people would say.

I'm not sure what total goals has to do with anything in the context of discussing who the better goal kicking option is. The only way it'd be relevant is if you paired it with their percentages.

Like if the hypothetical scenario was Staggs vs Isaako and their career numbers in QCUP were -

Staggs - 250 goals kicked @ 78%
Isaako - 75 goals kicked @ 80%

You could probably mount the case for Staggs being the better option in that scenario, but outside of that, I really don't see the relevance.

Goal kicking percentage is way more important as a reflection of the kicker himself, though total number allows for better sample size. Total number of goals kicked is pretty irrelevant outside of allowing more sample size.

Staggs isn't a good enough goal kicker if Issako is pushed to q/c we can lose 6 points give or take a game and that's enough to get us a loss easily Issako needs to be wing at least.

Staggs will need to get better or someone else will have to stand up. We cannot carry a player just because they are a great kicker. I like Isaako and if he can get his game up then that's great and he should be there, but if he is letting in tries one end and butchering them the other then the 4 - 6 points he may get over Staggs in kicking does not make up for it.

In regards to Isaako's defense on the wing, I don't think switching him for Coates would be an improvement based on what I've seen of Coates so far.

Still think Isaako's best position is on the wing personally, just needs to work on his defense and work rate in attack. There's no reason he shouldn't be one of those wingers who takes 15 runs a game and averages 130+ running metres.

Pretty much confirming what we already know, Turpin starting round 1, Macca on the bench.

Seibold also confirmed that it's possible that he'll playing McCullough + an outside back on the bench as cover.

1. Bird
2. Oates
3. Boyd
4. Staggs
5. Coates/Isaako
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Flegler/Pangai Jr
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Glenn (c)
13. Carrigan

14. McCullough
15. Pangai Jr/Flegler
16. Kennedy
17. Hopoate/Riki/Bullemor/Outside back

Seibold also confirmed that it's possible that he'll playing McCullough + an outside back on the bench as cover.

1. Bird
2. Oates
3. Boyd
4. Staggs
5. Coates/Isaako
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Flegler/Pangai Jr
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Glenn (c)
13. Carrigan

14. McCullough
15. Pangai Jr/Flegler
16. Kennedy
17. Hopoate/Riki/Bullemor/Outside back

Assuming Macca will play some lock I don't see why that wouldn't work TBH. I don't actually mind it.

Carrigan and TPJ could easily slot into prop rotation and play decent minutes.

At the same time it would be easy enough to move Glenn out to the centers if required and carry someone like Bullemor in 17 who could get a taste of first grade playing small minutes here and there, and still cover a number of positions.

Certainly not a bad problem to have for Siebs.

Assuming Macca will play some lock I don't see why that wouldn't work TBH. I don't actually mind it.

Carrigan and TPJ could easily slot into prop rotation and play decent minutes.

At the same time it would be easy enough to move Glenn out to the centers if required and carry someone like Bullemor in 17 who could get a taste of first grade playing small minutes here and there, and still cover a number of positions.

Certainly not a bad problem to have for Siebs.

I can see absolutely no reason why Macca should play lock. He is not a lock. All he would be good for is defence which is HALF the role of a lock, and compare him to say Carrigan, who ought to be, on form so far, our starting lock. There is no comparison.

Equally, I can see no reason why we need to carry a second hooker. In short, I fail to see why Macca should be in the team at all ... or is he the utility bench player we really need?

As for Glenn in the centres, why? He is too slow and no longer agile. We have an abundance of outside backs.

Playing Macca at all, and Glenn in the centres is for mine weakening the team for absolutely no good reason.

Last edited:
I can see absolutely no reason why Macca should play lock. He is not a lock. All he would be good for is defence which is HALF the role of a lock, and compare him to say Carrigan, who ought to be, on form so far, our starting lock. There is no comparison.

Equally, I can see no reason why we need to carry a second hooker. In short, I fail to see why Macca should be in the team at all ... or is he the utility bench player we really need?

As for Glenn in the centres, why? He is too slow and no longer agile. We have an abundance of outside backs.

Playing Macca at all, and Glenn in the centres is for mine weakening the team for absolutely no good reason.

You've missed the point.

Macca IS going to be in the team. Whether you think he should or shouldn't is irrelevant.
IF he's going to be in the team (which he will be) you can make the assumption that he will be playing some lock. If there's one thing Macca excelled it, it was keeping the defence organised. Being short a couple of experienced middle forwards we could certainly use his experience to start the year in that respect.

Re Glenn in the centres - obviously he wouldn't be moved there unless there was an injury. If we don't carry a back on the bench, then Glenn's the best we've got. I'd argue Bullemore could hold his own, but Siebold would opt for the experience of Glenn every day of the week.

I'm talking about contingency plans. Giving our best players the most minutes on the park should be the goal, and Macca can help achieve that.

Is he the best? No.
Is he the best option right now? IMO - yes.

Macca can cover hooker, half and lock. That is pretty decent for a forward utility on the bench. It might be what he needs to change up his game.

If it were me, I'd go:

14. Macca
15. TPJ
16. Flegler/Joffa
17. Oates

That's just me though.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Maddy
  • Hurrijo
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • Mick_Hancock
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brocko
  • cento
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wild Horse
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • winslow_wong
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.