Rnd #1 Broncos line-up

You've missed the point.

Macca IS going to be in the team. Whether you think he should or shouldn't is irrelevant.
IF he's going to be in the team (which he will be) you can make the assumption that he will be playing some lock. If there's one thing Macca excelled it, it was keeping the defence organised. Being short a couple of experienced middle forwards we could certainly use his experience to start the year in that respect.

Re Glenn in the centres - obviously he wouldn't be moved there unless there was an injury. If we don't carry a back on the bench, then Glenn's the best we've got. I'd argue Bullemore could hold his own, but Siebold would opt for the experience of Glenn every day of the week.

I'm talking about contingency plans. Giving our best players the most minutes on the park should be the goal, and Macca can help achieve that.

Is he the best? No.
Is he the best option right now? IMO - yes.

The purpose of these threads is to express what we think. So what I think in these threads is bloody relevant .. to the purpose of these forums.

So I think Macca is wasted space. That he will be in the side? Of course he will be, as will Boyd and this side will take the consequences, as has been the case for say 3 years of failing to live up to our expectations.

As for Macca being a utility, I repeat my (irrelevant) thoughts - he ought not be anywhere near this team if this team is being rebuilt and rejuvenated. If worst comes to worst and we have nobody else, then sure.

As for Macca organizing the defence, um, I think he really didn't do much in that department either. Certainly not against the Eels last year.

BTW our middle forwards look good to me, or is Lodge's absence crippling? If so, our recruitment there is suddenly a major issue don't you think? While Offa is out, then give a genuine young prop a go. We have a few?

Glenn in the centres? Only if Macca is in the team and we don't have an outside back on the bench.

Again, it's always about Macca isn't it. Like Boyd, a protected species

Last edited:

Fucking dejavu all over again.
Disappointed that some of the more skilled and talented players were let go just to keep these two plodders.
Now the world 9's player of the tournament is going to lose his backline position to ISC while these 'superb pre-season trainers' are walk ins every fucking week. Thought I was coming around to liking the coach, but starting to think that all the tough talk after the 58-0 humiliation was just fucking hogwash.

The purpose of these threads is to express what we think. So what I think in these threads is bloody relevant .. to the purpose of these forums.

Sure, but you're talking about what SHOULD happen. I'm talking about what WILL happen. They are two different things.

So I think Macca is wasted space. That he will be in the side? Of course he will be, as will Boyd and this side will take the consequences, as has been the case for say 3 years of failing to live up to our expectations.

As for Macca being a utility, I repeat my (irrelevant) thoughts - he ought not be anywhere near this team if this team is being rebuilt and rejuvenated. If worst comes to worst and we have nobody else, then sure.

Yes and no. Stop following the masses and think for yourself. You haven't seen Macca as a bench utility and you haven't seen Boyd as a center. Anyone who is dismissing it because of past failures is ignorant and unwilling to consider things on their own merits. Until you've seen it you can't pass judgement.

As for Macca organizing the defence, um, I think he really didn't do much in that department either. Certainly not against the Eels last year.

Yes he did. It's literally the only thing he did all year. You can't use the Eels as an example. No one was good in that game.

BTW our middle forwards look good to me, or is Lodge's absence crippling? If so, our recruitment there is suddenly a major issue don't you think? While Offa is out, then give a genuine young prop a go. We have a few?

The word I used was experienced, and I encouraged the use of one of the young forwards - Bullemore. Youth and enthusiasm only goes so far, and they're prone to mistakes. No Gillett, Offa, Lodge - we're missing plenty of experience. You need that.

Glenn in the centres? Only if Macca is in the team and we don't have an outside back on the bench.

Correct - that's exactly what I said.

I'm not protecting Macca. I just think he serves a purpose right now. If we had another legitimate option then I'd happily consider it on it's merit. We lack experience and he provides it. He does less perceived 'harm' to the team off the bench.

I can see absolutely no reason why Macca should play lock. He is not a lock. All he would be good for is defence which is HALF the role of a lock, and compare him to say Carrigan, who ought to be, on form so far, our starting lock. There is no comparison.

Equally, I can see no reason why we need to carry a second hooker. In short, I fail to see why Macca should be in the team at all ... or is he the utility bench player we really need?

As for Glenn in the centres, why? He is too slow and no longer agile. We have an abundance of outside backs.

Playing Macca at all, and Glenn in the centres is for mine weakening the team for absolutely no good reason.

I dont think Turpin is capable of playing 80 mins at hooker. We clearly need another option imo.

Playing Macca at all, and Glenn in the centres is for mine weakening the team for absolutely no good reason.
Fucking dejavu all over again.
Disappointed that some of the more skilled and talented players were let go just to keep these two plodders.
Now the world 9's player of the tournament is going to lose his backline position to ISC while these 'superb pre-season trainers' are walk ins every fucking week. Thought I was coming around to liking the coach, but starting to think that all the tough talk after the 58-0 humiliation was just fucking hogwash.
Couldn't agree with this more. For mine both Macca and Boyd should have been let go/tapped on the shoulder at the end of last season, neither of them should be playing now. For both of them to be named in round 1 is a nightmare. Though we do seem to be making some moves towards playing the best player for the position (Bird at FB instead of Isaako), that Boyd still makes the starting 13 proves he is a protected species, and Isaako shouldn't even be on the wing but seems likely to be named. At least Seibs is benching Macca, that's a small (but cold) comfort I guess.

For mine both Macca and Boyd should have been let go/tapped on the shoulder at the end of last season

It's not that simple ... they have contracts. contracts that Seibs wasn't a party to, but has to abide by nonetheless.

Boyd still makes the starting 13 proves he is a protected species

No it doesn't ... it proves that we aren't going to rush guys that aren't ready yet.

Isaako shouldn't even be on the wing but seems likely to be named.

Is it? ... we've pretty much got our full strength line up for the trial on Saturday and Isaako is in the seconds. he'll need a very good performance to make the starting lineup for round 1

It's not that simple ... they have contracts. contracts that Seibs wasn't a party to, but has to abide by nonetheless.
Yes, thanks for explaining that, I would never have worked that out on my own. Pretty damn sure that if Seibs had told Macca he'd be playing in QCup baring injuries, he'd have taken the deal with the Tigers. There are ways around contracts, by both players and coaches, as has been demonstrated time and time again. We should have let at least one of them go, I don't give a flying **** how hard they train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, thanks for explaining that, I would never have worked that out on my own. Pretty damn sure that if Seibs had told Macca he'd be playing in QCup baring injuries, he'd have taken the deal with the Tigers. There are ways around contracts, by both players and coaches, as has been demonstrated time and time again. We should have let at least one of them go, I don't give a flying f@@@ how hard they train.

I dont recall Macca ever having to choose between Brisbane and Wests Tigers.

There are also arent really any ways around contracts if one of the parties is unwilling to break the contract.

I agree that Macca has held us back for years. But @Wolfie is right, Turpin’s game will not hold up for 80 minutes. Paix hasn’t played at hooker enough yet to be expected to spell Turpin every week. For now I think we need Macca for that role.

If we have to use him, we have to use him sparingly. 15-20 mins a game for me if we cant find a different option

Sure, but you're talking about what SHOULD happen. I'm talking about what WILL happen. They are two different things.

Yes and no. Stop following the masses and think for yourself. You haven't seen Macca as a bench utility and you haven't seen Boyd as a center. Anyone who is dismissing it because of past failures is ignorant and unwilling to consider things on their own merits. Until you've seen it you can't pass judgement.

Yes he did. It's literally the only thing he did all year. You can't use the Eels as an example. No one was good in that game.

The word I used was experienced, and I encouraged the use of one of the young forwards - Bullemore. Youth and enthusiasm only goes so far, and they're prone to mistakes. No Gillett, Offa, Lodge - we're missing plenty of experience. You need that.

Correct - that's exactly what I said.

I'm not protecting Macca. I just think he serves a purpose right now. If we had another legitimate option then I'd happily consider it on it's merit. We lack experience and he provides it. He does less perceived 'harm' to the team off the bench.

Ah, love a good debate. I am not saying you are protecting Macca. The club is, or Seibs, or whoever. The point is for mine, he holds the team back. The whole team is forced to play a style of football that accommodates Macca's skill set. Our results speak to that.

I am also SO over the Macca is experienced line. His experience has contributed very little. Our results attest to that. Time to move on. Our season depends on it.

I also remember his experience last year in Rds 9,10,11 when we beat Manly, Roosters and Warriors without Macca as starting hooker, IIRC. When he returned we went back to our old ways - losing.

"Past failures" as you say are to me FORM which needs to be considered. I've seen it - sadly - and I am passing judgement based on what I have seen. As for the "masses" to which you refer, sorry, I don't see any. Or, I see as many as I do Macca highlight reels.

Because Macca and Boyd ARE protected species, I am resigned to watching them deliver their exciting, creative, explosive, visionary play as soon as the season starts. Yeah, maybe they have both had epiphanies and will transmogrify into who they currently are not. I am crossing my fingers as I am sure are the rest of we fans on these forums.

Last edited:
Seibold:

“We are playing in the humidity of Townsville in Round 1 and there are potentially a couple of experienced players (in Lodge and Glenn) who won’t play, so we need someone like ‘Macca’ in the group. “This weekend Jake will start at nine and Macca will come from the bench and that is how I see it playing out for Round 1 as well. “We’ll give those guys an opportunity (against the Titans) and see how they go in their respective roles.”

i'm not sure i like our round 1 game being played on Friday the 13th 😧

I'm not minding how our round 1 team is going to look like.

Active Now

• Redux
  • LittleDavey
  • bazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • jd87
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Strop
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • ezpz
  • Foordy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.