Roberts found guilty

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
What are his chances of playing against the Cowboys on Friday?

Last edited:
Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Re: Roberts chances at the judiciary?

It seems to be a lottery atm, so it's hard to have a considered position.
He Should miss a week for bring a dickhead, but should he miss a final?
Does that even come into consideration. It seemed to for Ennis and Wighton.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

The issue I have is the inconsistent grading of the charge.

Kasiano was charged with a Grade 2 Dangerous Contact for kicking a player, not Contrary Conduct.

While Nathan Brown had no case to answer for stomping a player apparently because there wasn't enough force.

I doubt the judiciary will buy either, but this case is a lot more complicated than it's being made out.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

he should miss a week for dangerous conduct (kicking) but that is not what he is charged with, what he did was not contrary conduct, so if this was a legit hearing he should be free to play.

I hope I'm wrong, but him getting charged with contrary conduct appears (to me at least) so they could increase his loading from 20% to 50% since he has already had a contrary conduct charge this year for touching a ref (another charge that seems to be randomly given to players, given not all players that make contact with a ref get charged)

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Zero to none.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Maybe if he was at another club he'd get off.

Not at the Broncos though, especially after all the outcry about the refereeing on Friday night.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015

Too inconsistent to make a call. It's 50/50. Now that Linnett is injured they will probably rub him out to even it up a bit.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

The issue I have is the inconsistent grading of the charge.

Kasiano was charged with a Grade 2 Dangerous Contact for kicking a player, not Contrary Conduct.

While Nathan Brown had no case to answer for stomping a player apparently because there wasn't enough force.

I doubt the judiciary will buy either, but this case is a lot more complicated than it's being made out.

Pete, if the correct charge was applied would he have been suspended anyway?

You explained his situation somewhere else I recall. I can't see him getting off,.

It's hard to defend what he did but given what happened last week it will be a joke but also given what happened last week the judiciary will want a scalp. It's the easy way out for everyone and nobody in the media has made a case for him or compared it to another charge and had a massive meltdown (Kent) about it .

FMD, the Sydney media were all pointing out Parkers so called head butt and wanting it scrutinised, even Blocker Roach, when Gallen does that about twice a game and gets a contrary conduct notice in the mail.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Pete, if the correct charge was applied would he have been suspended anyway?

You explained his situation somewhere else I recall. I can't see him getting off,.

I believe the right charge would have been Grade 1 Dangerous Contact, similar incident as Kasiano but a lesser charge since his kick wasn't as dangerous.

That would have seen him receive 120 Demerit Points with loading.

With an early guilty plea, he would have been right to play.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Isn't there a loophole they can take advantage of?

What he did wasn't contrary conduct.

It was dangerous contact based on every other kicking/stomping incident and he wasn't charged with dangerous contact.

So, really, he should be free to play based on the fact that they fucked up and issued the wrong charge.

Last edited:
abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014

I don't think he has much chance of getting off, but then I thought Wighton's case was pretty clear too and look how that went. Whether he should have been charged with kicking, dangerous contact or contrary conduct is somewhat irrelevant, I think it's pretty obvious that James kicked the Titans player deliberately and there's no two ways about it. I just can't see any way we can argue the case.

That said it'd be funny to send it a high falutin fancy-talkin law guy and have him argue that Wighton, Reynolds, Ennis, Matulino and plenty of others have flat out gotten away with shit with no justification. That's the precedent. A person who is obviously guilty can be let off because the judiciary has previously let off other people who were obviously guilty. Somehow I don't think it will work but it'd call them on their bullshit at least.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

Just for the record he could be charged with kicking grade 1 which carries 200 points.

It's hard to get your head around that he wasn't charged with kicking or dangerous contact rather than the less obvious contrary conduct charge.

There may just be some wiggle room to ask for the charge to be changed to dangerous conduct and therefore be found guilty but not accrue enough points for a suspension.

Judiciary saves face and we keep our player on the field.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

Grade 2
3d6c395e65f53351c32d4072a90732c1

e92ddb692a9fc744bd5e2e4cdd83390e

Grade 1

565003_640x360_large_20160909233545.jpg

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012

Fact is he kicked him. He didn't have the "I didn't see him defense". We just have to cop it sweet and lose him for this match. Do the crime, do the time. **** the precedent.

I understand the outrage but better to just plan to be without him.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Here's another thought... Have we possibly seen James Roberts in Broncos colours for the last time..?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Here's another thought... Have we possibly seen James Roberts in Broncos colours for the last time..?

Has Roberts really done enough to get the axe already?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

No.

He'll be there next year. Perhaps on the left.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • Johnny92
  • GCBRONCO
  • mitch222
  • Skathen
  • kman
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.