Roberts found guilty

B

BRC088

QCup Player
Feb 7, 2012
Re: Roberts chances at the judiciary?

I didn't see a kick, I saw him pushing the player out of the way with his foot.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Yeah that kick wouldn't even cause a warning in the UFC for kicking a downed opponent. He kicked, yes. But he kicked out of the leg hold, not at the player.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012

Pretty obvious why it was contrary conduct. You get a 50% loading for similar offences and only 25% for non-similar. A dangerous contact charge doesn't get him suspended (with an early plea).

Reckon they should fight it.....if there is a specific charge (kicking) usual rules of interpretation suggest that the less specific charge (contrary conduct) can't apply....generalia specialibus non derogant.

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013

Surely the defence will be that he was doing no more then trying to free his leg to play the ball quickly. I think it was a bit carless but there was zero intent to cause any harm. The reason he wasn't charged with kicking is because he didn't kick him. We definitely have to fight this. With a good lawyer he might get off.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Here's another thought... Have we possibly seen James Roberts in Broncos colours for the last time..?

No, not at all. Why would you even think that? I am genuinely interested.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

No, not at all. Why would you even think that? I am genuinely interested.

Just from the talk on here about him being let go and if he gets suspended plus if we lose this week...

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

It was the kick equivalent of Tate's smoosh on Bird.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

Pretty obvious why it was contrary conduct. You get a 50% loading for similar offences and only 25% for non-similar. A dangerous contact charge doesn't get him suspended (with an early plea).

Reckon they should fight it.....if there is a specific charge (kicking) usual rules of interpretation suggest that the less specific charge (contrary conduct) can't apply....generalia specialibus non derogant.

I may be wrong, but I doubt that an argument premised on a principle of statutory interpretation will carry much weight with the NRL judiciary.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

If this was Gallen, it's a kick any day of the week on here. Lots of blinkers on. He kicked him, I don't think he meant to, he looked to mean to shove, unfortunately, it ended up being a kick. He deserves to sit out the grub.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

If this was Gallen, it's a kick any day of the week on here. Lots of blinkers on. He kicked him, I don't think he meant to, he looked to mean to shove, unfortunately, it ended up being a kick. He deserves to sit out the grub.
Absolutely it was a kick... and he should sit out a week.

But for me given they have charged him with a different charge than the others who have commited similar acts, i hope he gets off.

The only reason i see for him to be charged with a different offence is the higher loading contrary conduct gives him. And IMO, that stinks to high heaven

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Absolutely it was a kick... and he should sit out a week.

But for me given they have charged him with a different charge than the others who have commited similar acts, i hope he gets off.

The only reason i see for him to be charged with a different offence is the higher loading contrary conduct gives him. And IMO, that stinks to high heaven

So does kicking a player on the field.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013

While Nathan Brown had no case to answer for stomping a player apparently because there wasn't enough force.

Yeah well if the Nathan Brown incident is anything to go by Roberts should get off, there was bugger all force, however I will not be surprised in the slightest when he gets a week. Its completely lucky dip stuff when it comes to the judiciary.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014

Yeah well if the Nathan Brown incident is anything to go by Roberts should get off, there was bugger all force, however I will not be surprised in the slightest when he gets a week. Its completely lucky dip stuff when it comes to the judiciary.

Stomping a bloke in the ballsack is heaps worse than what Roberts did but you hit the nail on the head re the lucky dip... Brown gets off, Roberts will get 4 weeks

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015

Didn't Brown get off because they found there wasn't enough force to cause injury? That should be our defence.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Didn't Brown get off because they found there wasn't enough force to cause injury? That should be our defence.

Absolutely. This all the way.

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013

Might have been a WWE kick.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Bucking Beads
  • johnny plath
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Aldo
  • Swordfish
  • Fozz
  • BroncoFan94
  • Brocko
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
  • BroncosAlways
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.