Roger Federer, the greatest

Jeba said:
Will be great when this man defeats "the greatest ever" at 3rd round of the US Open.

Lleyton-Hewitt.jpg

That man is an absolute champion on the court. His effort, the way he never givs up, his fitness and tenacity and his fighting attitude are what make me proud to be a LH fan.

I don't take notice of his off-court happenings and so called "on-court misdemeanours" which seem to put so many Australians offside.

He's a pussycat in this regard anyway compared to the Spanish and Argentinians. If they ever get an unwanted call, you'll know about it. Their fans will also react similarly.

Some people are just too precious to understand and appreciate.

Fed's won too much. The Spew can get him.

Del Potro US Open 2009 champion. Discuss.

As I've said on Facebook, **** YOU JUAN MARTIN OPORTO!!!! I'm never having another Bondi burger...EVER!

I think I need an explaination please Coxy. icon_thumbs_u

Have you had Fed's Swissmeat Burger with his special sauce yet Coxy?

Fozz said:

Absolute legend. Finally someone other than Nadal is able to expose Federer's brittle mental strength icon_thumbs_u

Hewitt isn't fit to clean the cheese off Federers balls.

So I take it that you've had the burger too.. on multiple occaisions?

Ari Gold said:
Fozz said:

Absolute legend. Finally someone other than Nadal is able to expose Federer's brittle mental strength icon_thumbs_u

I hope you stuck with him and bet on the big man again?

Did Roger cry this time or did he harden up before accepting the runners up prize??

The Gymp said:
[quote="Ari Gold":1vbi61eo]
Fozz said:

I hope you stuck with him and bet on the big man again?[/quote:1vbi61eo]

Nowhere near as big as I did on the French, plus he was about 1/5th the odds. Virtually no financial gain actually, but the pure enjoyment of seeing him take down the Swiss cheese was more than satisfying icon_thumbs_u

Why do people have so much of a problem with Roger Federer?

Scotty said:

It might be easier to list the things that I do like about Roger.

1) He'll retire soon.

/List.

On JMDP, it was only 8 months ago in the Aus Open QF that Federer trounced him 6-3 6-0 6-0. He walked off the court looking absolutely shattered and humiliated. To achieve what he did today is nothing short of amazing, particularly for a 20 year old. Federer could only dream of possessing that level of mental toughness.

Ari your criticism of Fed is harsh, he has been pushed and won more times than he has been pushed and lost (excluding against Nadal who I agree has it all over Federer in the mental department).

Scotty said:

Bitterness. Tall poppy syndrome. Their criticism is totally unfair. He's won 15 majors. Give him some credit.

The Gymp said:
Ari your criticism of Fed is harsh, he has been pushed and won more times than he has been pushed and lost (excluding against Nadal who I agree has it all over Federer in the mental department).

Be that as it may, the fact is, Federer is infinitely more talented than basically every single player on the ATP, including Nadal. It's not just about records, but also how they align with the level of talent the holder of said record has. If you told me Chris Guccione made an Australian Open Semi Final, I would prepare for an apocalypse. Why? Because Guccione is crap, and such a feat would be a huge over-achievement considering his talent.

The inverse, of course, is Federer, who triumphant as he may have been in the face of a struggle, still, IMO, has achieved less than what I think his talent should is deserving of. The reason for this void is, IMO, his mental fragility. I think the fact that he is so talented and has subsequentially won many titles hides this fact from most people.

Ari Gold said:
Fozz said:

It can't be too brittle if only 2 people are able to expose it.

schmix said:
Ari Gold said:
Fozz said:

It can't be too brittle if only 2 people are able to expose it.

Again, his vastly superior talent generally does a good job of masking it. It still exists though.

It's like the Death Star in A New Hope. Most people just think it can't be beat, because it's so massive (in this particular analogy, size is talent). However, just like the original Death Star, underneath the hulk of talent that is Roger Federer, there is a fatal flaw that can be exposed for maximum effect.

Forza Juan Martin Skywalker. May the force be with you always!

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.