NEWS Rogers to exit for Madden despite slick Broncos display

BHQArticleImageLarge39

Brisbane halfback Josh Rogers received rave reviews after his second NRL match but appears set to be replaced next week by Jock Madden.

Such is Brisbane's depth that despite the 27-year-old kicking superbly and showing real poise throughout the 30-14 win over Parramatta, he will likely find himself back playing with Burleigh in the Queensland Cup.

Captain Adam Reynolds is unavailable for up to 14 weeks with a ruptured biceps and second in line half Madden missed the Eels clash with a pectoral injury. Madden is on track to be back next Friday night against Manly.

"I think Jock will come back in next week if he is fit," coach Kevin Walters said.

"We will just make sure he is fit. We were very happy with the number seven (against the Eels) so we are in a very good situation there regardless."

Walters was delighted with the display by Rogers, who is on a development contract with the Broncos.

"He was very solid. He kicked the ball well," Walters said.

"We asked him at the start of the week to do a few things. He is a capable player and was suited to the (wet) conditions with his kicking. His defence was really good and he passed well, and he challenged the line a couple of times as well."

The players also had faith in Rogers.

"I think he stepped up really well and showed how well he has been playing for Burleigh this year," prop Corey Jensen said.

"He is a calm head and did his job. He did himself proud."

There is an injury concern around hooker Billy Walters (wrist) who came off after 13 minutes. His father said he was no certainty to play the Sea Eagles.

"He has got a ligament problem in his wrist and he got a bang on there early in the game," Walters said.

"He got winded first, and then got that. It wasn't much point leaving him out there. He could barely pass. I'd say he is in doubt for next week but we will see how the week goes."

Canberra Times

I thought Rogers was good last night. Did his job well.
I like that he's such a big ****.

Not sold on Jock yet but his last game before injury was a cracker.
Its his to lose for now.

Ye jock. Josh did a solid job but jock has had a couple good games in a row that were better then Josh's last night. Jocks to lose at the moment. Hope he doesn't rush back though, I'd prefer a 100% rogers over anything less then that from madden...

I agree on this, Rogers was very much giving alot of 7 responsibility to Walsh in the last game and to be fair it worked.

Madden has a much more dangerous kicking game and has a wobbly high ball in him.

Plus Roger’s looks like he can’t pass right to left very well. Happy to have him as a decent third option though.

It’s-a-time-a-for the Mozer-Ella…..

Really bad Italian accent, I apologise to any of our Roman friends past and present :)
Don't forget, and emerging.

Happy if Rogers gets another crack.

Plus Roger’s looks like he can’t pass right to left very well. Happy to have him as a decent third option though.
Well spotted, if true. If so, I change my vote.

Hmmm , I thought he was a #6 ?
They usually operate on the left side . Seems strange he is less proficient passing right to left . He debuted last year on the left and threw some nice passes to his outside men if I recall .
I didn`t notice it . I will take more notice next time I see him play .

Rogers plays on the left and running is certainly his strength but I don’t think passing is a weakness. Hamilton does the passing. Hamilton has 11 try assists and Rogers has four.

He has that left foot step and through, he’s made 150m three times this year.

Bears rely on their forwards to score more than any other team, they have three forwards in the top 20 for tries this year.

Yeah I could be wrong but I just noticed a couple of times when he passed two wide or so from dummy half, he looked awkward and it didn't seem to have any fluency to the action or speed in the pass.

Yeah I could be wrong but I just noticed a couple of times when he passed two wide or so from dummy half, he looked awkward and it didn't seem to have any fluency to the action or speed in the pass.

How many times did he go to dummy half ?
Again I didn`t notice . I did notice he fell off a cpl of tackles that the cover defence made up for . That could be exploited in future opposition game plans .
I dunno about judging a 5/8`s ability to pass right to left based on passes from dummy half ? It`s not his job ?

As I said in the post match thread, if there's any question marks over Madden's fitness, let him rest and put Rogers in another week. Didn't put a foot wrong - a genuine backup option if that game is anything to go by.

There is a clear hierachy at the club when it comes to our halfs (non-Corey Paix division).

I have zero issues with Madden being ahead of Rodgers.

However, i'm very glad I now know what Rodgers can gives us next time we need him (say - SOO time?).

All of a sudden, like that, we seem to have very good depth in our halves.

Now...it's hooker depth we need to work out :)

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • mitch222
  • leon.bott
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • achievedrap
  • barker
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.