Round 1 2015 Teams

I don't think it's a coincidence that 2 fan favourites a few years ago are now hated. Alex Glenn and Jack Reed are both victims of our halves as far as I'm concerned.

Copley played better than Reed this season because he has the wheels and fend to make something out f nothing. When Reed gets good ball he sets up millions of tries, scores himself, and has a great short kicking game for a centre. He's also a fantastic defensive centre which is not only good news for our otherwise struggling defence but also takes a lot of pressure off of Milford in the 6.

I admit that during this very frustrating season I did get aboard the dump reed in favour of Copley bandwagon but now things have cooled down I can definitely see how he would be deserving of a centre spot. In happy for either to play there.

The problem is I don't see Copley as a winger, he just isn't good enough under the high ball, so where does he play? He is just as deserving of the centre spot, if not more.

Completely agree. I was just putting forward an argument for Reed before the inevitable Bennett hate fest if he gets picked.

Id be happy with either player in the centres though Copley is a much better winger than Reed. If Reed gets picked, Copley can do a Ben hunt until Hodges retires (he'll get plenty of game time at centre with injuries anyway). In the mean time an off season practicing high ball catching will only improve him as a centre.

otherwise I wouldn't make that statement. . He had a lethal combination with hoffman when they played together.

There wasn't much creativity, Hoffman was just godly on that wing. I mean, yeah, it was handy having a centre who passes (though he seems to go in and out of that phase), but Hoffman did all the heavy work in most of those tries.

The problem is I don't see Copley as a winger, he just isn't good enough under the high ball, so where does he play? He is just as deserving of the centre spot, if not more.

This is a conundrum best left to who impresses the most in pre-season.

There wasn't much creativity, Hoffman was just godly on that wing. I mean, yeah, it was handy having a centre who passes (though he seems to go in and out of that phase), but Hoffman did all the heavy work in most of those tries.

A good winger needs a Centre creating space for him. . (Ala darius boyd) everyone on here bags his origin try record saying "its all inglis" now all of a sudden you think reed had little to do with the tries Hoffman finished? Yes, finished. . It's all about running the play and a cut out to a winger in position. Reed has every right to claim credit even positionally. But his draw and pass, short kicking game and defensive ability contributes a LOT to our game.

And as mentioned above, Copley will get his chance in a couple of years after hodgo moves on, not to mention through origin.

And speaking of origin. . Who is our fullback during this time? Hmmmmm

It means exactly what the words indicate. There is a separate thread for McGuire discussion but to save you looking, and as a one time only I will expand on it. I think he is a good hard working dedicated bloke who would be better at lock. I don't rate him in the first level of NRL props.

I don't rate McGuire in the top tier of props either - I think he is wasted there. For mine he would make an ideal lock - defending in the middle 3rd and running wide off Hunt and Milford.

I thought he was excellent as lock for Samoa - quick, good hands and passing. I'd like to see him at lock or in the back row in place of Thaiday who I am beginning to dislike more and more, except for the the way Meninga uses him in SOO.

For mine, McGuire will be an ideal lock when Parker calls it a day. In fact, under Bennett, I can see Josh turning into a top tier lock or back rower.

However, until then, I guess Bennett will play him as prop, only I hope he coaches Josh to be more than a simple battering ram as Griffin used him, and utilises his undoubted skills instead of hiding them.

On another subject - back rowers, Gillett is another example for mine where under Bennett (and + Milford undoing the damage of Hoffman at 5/8 and Griffin's pathetic forward coaching) he can resume his place as one of the absolute best back rowers in the game. He is a damaging runner, can pass, kick and hit hard in defence (except for his arm grabbing defensive flaws which I am sure Bennett will eliminate).

For mine, Gillett is an 80 minute impact player - given the right coaching where he plays out wide: a damaging back rower with the skills of a 5/8.

Glenn on the other hand is very good but lacks Gillett's class and impact. I'd pick Glenn over Thaiday though at this stage, unless Bennett gets Thaiday running wide as Meninga does, passing the ball at the line and offloading.

Glenn or Thaiday ... for mine, it's like the dilemma with Copley and Reed. Under Bennett, either should do well.

I don't rate McGuire in the top tier of props either - I think he is wasted there. For mine he would make an ideal lock - defending in the middle 3rd and running wide off Hunt and Milford.

I thought he was excellent as lock for Samoa - quick, good hands and passing. I'd like to see him at lock or in the back row in place of Thaiday who I am beginning to dislike more and more, except for the the way Meninga uses him in SOO.

For mine, McGuire will be an ideal lock when Parker calls it a day. In fact, under Bennett, I can see Josh turning into a top tier lock or back rower.

However, until then, I guess Bennett will play him as prop, only I hope he coaches Josh to be more than a simple battering ram as Griffin used him, and utilises his undoubted skills instead of hiding them.

On another subject - back rowers, Gillett is another example for mine where under Bennett (and + Milford undoing the damage of Hoffman at 5/8 and Griffin's pathetic forward coaching) he can resume his place as one of the absolute best back rowers in the game. He is a damaging runner, can pass, kick and hit hard in defence (except for his arm grabbing defensive flaws which I am sure Bennett will eliminate).

For mine, Gillett is an 80 minute impact player - given the right coaching where he plays out wide: a damaging back rower with the skills of a 5/8.

Glenn on the other hand is very good but lacks Gillett's class and impact. I'd pick Glenn over Thaiday though at this stage, unless Bennett gets Thaiday running wide as Meninga does, passing the ball at the line and offloading.

Glenn or Thaiday ... for mine, it's like the dilemma with Copley and Reed. Under Bennett, either should do well.
Kind of refreshing to find another poster thinking along the same lines. On your second point I find I agree too as there are times where both Glen and Gillett are first class. I don't know where blame lays for the in and out kind of game both players exhibit, sometimes great and at other times, quite poor. Perhaps complacency crept in over the last few years under Griffin. On Thaiday I have respect for his A game but Jesus,he can be both stupid and lazy at times. I think a reality check would help, some time back in the ISC to make him fully aware of what he is missing when not in the glamour team. He looks a touch fitter but he could drop another 3 or 4 kilo for mine although I can't talk ! Closer to 30-40 kilograms!

I want to see Oates starting and Thaiday coming in as the impact bench player running at the little guys on the other team. I feel as though with Oates on there's more of an opportunity for points. Then after he has destroyed the other team, Thaiday can come on and run them over for 10-15 minutes a half.

Bennett will pick Reed in rnd 1 purely for his defending which he is a very good centre at. I think Copley will eventually take either his or hodges spot but I think he will be on the wing come round 1 with either Vidot or Maranta.

Active Now

• Jason Simmons
  • jarro65
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.