Round 1 2015 Teams

Worked well at times for us with Granville changing the tempo as such, well worth exploring.

1. Darious Boyd - I would have preferred to have had Barba here and Boyd on wing but that's not a possibility and as such you go with the best option available at present.

2. Daniel Vidot - Makes plenty of metres for us making him an extra forward but concerns exist of him under the high ball, I think he can overcome it.

3. Dale Copley - Chooses himself outright based on the form shown in 2014, Reed is solid but IMO that just doesn't cut it.
4. Justin Hodges - Agree with Fordy on Hodges rotating with Boyd in attack, definitely a player you want with more freedom in the opposition's half.

5. Corey Oates - I want to see this guy more involved and frankly while his future may be in the forward's, his IMO at present the best option we have on the wing and it won't hold back his development, has real potential to be a strike weapon for us on the wing, with the added power punch like vidot, I see lots of try potential here.

6. Anthony Milford - I see Anthony Milford's long term future here in at 5/8th however like Lockyer I could equally see him as successful at fullback, either way there's no need to rush to move him.

7. Ben Hunt - Clearly the go to man, the forwards give him the platform, he gets quality service from his dummy halves and the points will come be it through creating them for others or scoring them for himself, needs to get consistency with his general kicking game which is something Walters and Lockyer will hopefully work on, his actually pretty lethal with the kick near the line otherwise.

8. Josh McGuire - automatic selection

9. Andrew McCullough - It's do or die time for McCullough, we need more from our dummy half, quality service especially and he needs to take pressure off the halves with dummy half kicking where appropriate.

10. Mitch Garbutt - Originally I was happy to go with Parker but you know what, lets do it and from what I have seen from Garbutt the potential is there.

11. Alex Glenn - The Key for Glenn is to get him running better angles because I feel the opportunities are definitely there, I prefer to also rotate Thaiday and Gillett for impact purposes.

12. Thaiday - As Fordy point's out if we could bottle the rep games into water bottles for him to drink during the games we would see the best out of him, I want to see him back up his claims of wanting to finish his career at the Broncos with actions.

13. Parker, you still get the same workload from Parker at lock, but I agree he shines at lock, I see Mcguire there down the track too if we get our prop pack in order.

14. Matt Parcell - Seems to be a lot of interest in this guy, would like to see him in action and extra pressure on McCullough can only be a good thing.

15. Matt Gillett - Can be absolutely damaging in the right situation's and off the bench I can definitely see that being a real advantage, rotating between him and Thaiday seems right.

16. Mitchell Dodds - I would like to see Dodds back in action at least early on in the season, started to show some promise before he got injured and his got experience, can always go with another option if need be later in the season.

17. James Gavet - The impact prop we need to stand up, in doing so could make a big difference to how our pack fairs.

Can't handle Oates on the wing, I want him developing as a forward, not masquerading as a winger.

Only person would be Parcell, apparently he is the quickest hooker out of dummy half in the game.

Yeah for sure. I'd be happy to give him a shot as well. The only point I'm trying to make is I don't think McCullough should be considered a "given". Especially after players like Barba, Hannant etc have been told to look elsewhere.

Can't handle Oates on the wing, I want him developing as a forward, not masquerading as a winger.

Wouldn't be the first forward at the club starting out in the backs, even Tunsa spent some time on the wing(mostly centre granted) early on, doesn't have to be long term and I'm yet to be convinced there's a better option available at present who would offer the strike power potential he would. Maranta is solid and Kahu has potential but is also injury prone, he would do well just to stay on the field next season.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be the first forward at the club starting out in the backs, even Tunsa spent some time on the wing(mostly centre granted) early on, doesn't have to be long term and I'm yet to be convinced there's a better option available at present who would offer the strike power potential he would.

Give Kahu a go for a few games and he will gun it, take my word for it.

As much as I'd love to see someone take McCullough's job, it should be someone who's actually better than him, i.e anyone but Waddell.

Everyone is jumping the gun to write Waddell off on here. He will surprise a few people next season, he CAN play.....

Gold star, mate. The only reason is I don't know if McCullough has another gear to go up, tbh. It's interesting - Waddell has played roughly 70 games and yet most people on here have written him off - no improvement is possible. Macca, on the other hand, who is closing in on 200 games apparently still has potential and can improve...if only he has a decent coach, if only he can play 80 minutes, if only insert whatever excuse you want... It's a bit weird.

OK.

Others may rubbish the thought but I consider it interesting food for thought.

Here is my issue with your justification.

I disagree with the implication that games played is a reflection of development. Both players were afforded similar opportunities and both are at similar stages not only at their career but also in life. The difference is that McCullough was able to keep his spot where as Waddell found himself out of work at not one but two different clubs. Let's be honest too, neither of those clubs could really be choosers when it came to the dummy half position, yet they didn't think Waddell was good enough.

I don't mind the notion of changing things up at dummy half but I disagree with the justification there. In my view, Waddell would have to improve a lot just to reach McCullough's level, let alone surpass him.

Last edited:
[h=1]Matt Parcell has emerged as a serious contender for the Broncos’ No. 14 jersey[/h]

• CHRIS GARRY
  • THE COURIER-MAIL
  • NOVEMBER 14, 2014 11:00PM

532347-ca41c69a-6baf-11e4-ae84-798920b22a79.jpg

Matt Parcell at pre season Broncos training. Photo Steve Pohlner

[h=3]Sam Thaiday comments on Broncos signing Darius Boyd[/h]

external

CIVIL engineer Matt Parcell has emerged as a serious contender for the Broncos’ No. 14 jersey that Ben Barba wasn’t suited to.
Regarded as the best league player yet to make first grade, Parcell is the rare athlete who has sacrificed money to chase his NRL dreams.PUNTERS BACK BENNETT’S BRONCOSBARBA OUT FOR REVENGE ON BRONCOSBarba’s move to Cronulla and Jake Granville’s shift to the Cowboys has opened up the interchange utility position at Brisbane and Parcell, a 22-year-old hooker, is a major contender after he broke Brisbane’s running records this month.
532375-5a5d1a86-6bb5-11e4-ae84-798920b22a79.jpg

Jake Granville has joined the Cowboys. Pic Peter Wallis

The Ipswich Jets star beat Jake Granville’s 2.5 kilometre cross country record twice in one hour and then set a new mark for the Broncos 1.8 kilometre run.The grandson of Kangaroos prop Gary, Parcell ignored overtures from the Titans, Roosters and Bulldogs to sign a top 25 contract with the Broncos.While Andrew McCullough has the starting hooker spot sewn up, Parcell’s speed and creativity would provide Brisbane a dynamic interchange option.Parcell regularly came off the bench for the Jets, terrorising tired forwards in the back end of each half.

He graduates university with a civil engineering degree in December and quit his job at international firm Sun Engineering to sign with the Broncos.Parcell could have earned more money in the private sector than as an NRL player.“I probably could have but I love being here. This is what I want to do and every second I am here reinforces that,” Parcell told The Courier-Mail.“I graduate civil engineering in December. I have put that career on hold to have a crack here.“We had to get 60 days as a professional and I had done 100 days there at Sun when this came up.“This is a great opportunity and I need to make the most of it.”
533172-db1130be-6baf-11e4-ae84-798920b22a79.jpg

Matt Parcell in action for Ipswich. Pic Peter Wallis

Wayne Bennett said last week part of the reason there was no place for Barba at Brisbane was because he was unsure if Barba could defend in the ruck as an interchange hooker.“He did well defending in the frontline last season but the reality is he would have to defend in the ruck if he played off the bench and that is a big ask,” Bennett said.Parcell’s fitness allows him to punch above his weight in defence.Parcell was reluctant to talk up his record breaking running feats but credits Jets’ coaches and former Broncos Ben and Shane Walker for preparing him physically.“Ben and Shane have given me a lot of confidence. They always help me when I chat to them. They really helped me this year,” Parcell said.
532453-df480bc6-6baf-11e4-ae84-798920b22a79.jpg

Matt Parcell at pre season. Photo Steve Pohlner

“The first week I got a couple of records in the two and a half kilometre cross country and the 1.8km run.“Jake Granville had the record apparently and we had to run the 2.5 kilometre twice and I got it both times but I didn’t know about the record until after.“My goal is to play NRL next year. I just want to train hard to take any opportunity.”Shane Walker said Parcell was the best player yet to crack the NRL.“I thought last season he was the best unsigned player and thankfully that has changed with this deal,” Walker said.“I don’t know what Wayne’s thoughts are about him but I believe Matt is a real chance of getting on that Broncos bench.”

I didn't take much out of that highlight video someone posted of him other than his acceleration (from being flat footed 90% of the time). If he can scoot without stopping, I'd take him on the bench for impact, and then we'll see if he's good enough to maybe completely take the hooking spot.

OK.

Others may rubbish the thought but I consider it interesting food for thought.

Here is my issue with your justification.

I disagree with the implication that games played is a reflection of development. Both players were afforded similar opportunities and both are at similar stages not only at their career but also in life. The difference is that McCullough was able to keep his spot where as Waddell found himself out of work at not one but two different clubs. Let's be honest too, neither of those clubs could really be choosers when it came to the dummy half position, yet they didn't think Waddell was good enough.

I don't mind the notion of changing things up at dummy half but I disagree with the justification there. In my view, Waddell would have to improve a lot just to reach McCullough's level, let alone surpass him.

Agreed it is food for thought. You made a good point - I also accept that games played may not be an accurate reflection of development. I do think though that McCullough, after 7 years in first grade, is probably drifting more towards the end of his career than the start, he's had multiple coaches and hasn't really kicked on to the level we need him to be.

I understand McCullough will be our dummy half. It just irks me that it's because there are no other genuine candidates. It doesn't really give him an incentive to improve. He did seem to lift when rumours of Cameron Smith signing started gaining momentum. I think it shouldn't take that to get him to start delivering.

Agreed it is food for thought. You made a good point - I also accept that games played may not be an accurate reflection of development. I do think though that McCullough, after 7 years in first grade, is probably drifting more towards the end of his career than the start, he's had multiple coaches and hasn't really kicked on to the level we need him to be.

I understand McCullough will be our dummy half. It just irks me that it's because there are no other genuine candidates. It doesn't really give him an incentive to improve. He did seem to lift when rumours of Cameron Smith signing started gaining momentum. I think it shouldn't take that to get him to start delivering.

Chuck Parcell on the bench for impact, that should McCullough a kick in the butt.

I agree I think McCullough's days may be coming to an end if he does not improve.

Thank goodness for the media, if only someone had been saying all that for the last 53 games.

Thank goodness for the media, if only someone had been saying all that for the last 53 games.

Yes 1910, we know you've been singing his praises for a long time, well done.

I'm more impressed about the fact he's a league player and an engineer student. The broncos average iq must have sky rocketed after dropping Barba and signing this kid.

Rod played prop for the Jets this year in a very very untraditional role which he isn't going to get at NRL because they'd never do it. I think he's up to it no doubt but I am a bit unsure how you'd best use him.

I think WB will know best but a fast hard nut must be an asset. I just love the idea of an underdog spending some time in the sun especially when never having had the chance. In my mind I will never forget when a hard nut got his one and only chance and outplayed all the other forwards while in the losing team. That was Danny Nutley, it can happen !

I think Copley is also an engineering student.

Active Now

• Jason Simmons
  • jarro65
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.