Round 1 2015 Teams

We all know that Srama has left the Titans and that some here wanted us to give him a go but we don't necessarily need him IMO. McGuire went very well at hooker for Samoa and if McCullogh was absent McGuire would take over and we could use Waddel on the bench as backup and we've got some depth in the front row and some good young props that can take McGuire's place.

What about Rod Griffin ? He should be a real chance off the bench, he's a deadset goer who would fill a back row spot.

If we were to give a young prop such as Ofahengaue or Molo a shot, I'd prefer Ofahengaue. The concern with Molo is fitness and whether he can keep up with the speed of the NRL. In his recent stints at a higher level than the under 20's he has struggled a bit.

Joe on the otherhand is much fitter, given the fact he can play 80 mins in NYC regularly, as well as the fact he finishes close to the top in most fitness drills during training, including the NRL players. Playing 80 mins regularly in the NYC holds him in good stead for the fitness requirements of the NRL and will atleast allow him to play a minimum of 30 mins with sustained intensity and at a high quality (at the very least).

As for Rod Griffin, he would be a good edge running second rower. Coming off the bench perhaps, he could add a bit of spark. He has good speed and can bust tackles. He also has a neat little offload. I wouldn't mind him coming on for Glenn.

Last edited:
Ok so for arguments sake, let's say McG at hooker:

8. Garbutt
9. McG
10. Joffa
11. Glenn
12. Oates
13. Parker

14. Jikka
15. Gavet/Folo
16. Thaiday
17. Gillett

i like it!! Allows us to throw in Jikka at the end of each half!!

I hope he kill it because both him and Ofahengaue have had huge raps on them for a while. If they gun it season we may not have to go out and sign a prop, which would be good.

Joe was playing Jets Colts last year, he hasn't had big wraps on him- that's what makes it even better what he's done this year. He's totally changed his body and game.

We all know that Srama has left the Titans and that some here wanted us to give him a go but we don't necessarily need him IMO. McGuire went very well at hooker for Samoa and if McCullogh was absent McGuire would take over and we could use Waddel on the bench as backup and we've got some depth in the front row and some good young props that can take McGuire's place.

Srama hasn't left the Titans at all.

Ok guys this is the team i think should run out for round 1, 2015 (and some reasons behind my thoughts)

1. Darius Boyd - Don't be shocked guys. With Barba gone, our fullback options are limited. while i like Hodges attack at fullback, he defence leaves a lot to be desired there, and is potentially a liability for us. Eden is a nuffie and i haven't seen enough of Kahu to know his abilities at the back. but if it isn't working, i really hope Bennett has the courage to move him to wing.

2. Daniel Vidot -
Strong runner of the ball, but for the love of god, someone teach him to catch a bomb!

3. Dale Copley - Enough of this shuffling of his positions, wing, center, right side left side ... just STOP, the left center position should be his. The guy will be a gun center for us for years. big, strong a good fend, a bit of pace, everything a quality center needs. now he just needs consistency in the same position.

4. Justin Hodges - Do i need to say more, I love the guys attack at the back, so i would love to see him swap with Boyd while attacking on occasions.

5. Jordan Kahu - I do think the guy has potential, so for now i think he should be given a wing position and lets see if he can get some consistent time on the field to see what he is made of.

6. Anthony Milford - Although i think his best position is fullback, i'm not sure our young halves are ready for the full time rigors of NRL footy. They should be given some time in the ISC to harden up a bit first. I also think that eventually Milford will make an excellent 5/8.

7. Ben Hunt - The kid arrived in 2014 in a big way. still has some things to work on in his games, lets hope the expert tuition of Walters, Langer and Lockyer help him during the off season. Looking forward to see how he backs up his 2014 season.

8. Josh McGuire - He was our best prop in 2014, first prop picked in 2015.

9. Andrew McCullough - only due to lack of a better option.

10. Mitch Garbutt - Big, strong, good offload, speed. looking forward to seeing what he has got. I think he may have a break out season.

11. Alex Glenn - Very under-rated IMHO. needs to start running good lines of Milf and Hunt.

12. Sam Thaiday - we need to get him to play like it is a rep game, during club games

13. Corey Parker - Let me say this first, I think he plays very similar no matter the jersey on his back, but i think we lose a bit with whoever replaces him at lock, and i think this is a better balanced side.

14. Matt Parcell - I wasn't really sure who to put here, but someone to put some pressure on Macca is a good thing and from what i know about Parcell (which admittedly isn't much) he is the best placed to do that.

15. Matt Gillett - I've always thought he was best coming off the bench as an impact player, and i've seen nothing from him to change my mind.

16. Corey Oates - This kid is a talent, reminds me a lot of Gene Miles actually. whether in the backs or forwards, he just needs some game time to continue his development.

17. James Gavet -
The perfect impact prop, size and aggression. something we sorely lacked in 2014.

Last edited:
What about Rod Griffin ? He should be a real chance off the bench, he's a deadset goer who would fill a back row spot.

Rod played prop for the Jets this year in a very very untraditional role which he isn't going to get at NRL because they'd never do it. I think he's up to it no doubt but I am a bit unsure how you'd best use him.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that Glenn is very underrated and was VERY underutilized in the last couple of seasons. He's the first back rower I'd select in my starting side.

1. Boyd
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Garbutt
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Oates
16. Gavet
17. Dodds / Ofahengaue / Molo

1: Boyd
2: Vidot
3: Copley
4: Hodges
5: Kahu
6: Milford
7: Hunt
8: McGuire
9: McCullogh
10: Garbutt
11: Gillett
12: Thiaday
13: Parker

14: Gavet
15: Glenn
16: Ofa or another young prop
17: Oates

Good team, Broncoman. Pretty much what I had in mind. Only real changes I'd make is Maranta for Kahu. I know Kahu has more potential but I don't think Maranta has done enough to lose his spot (thought he had a pretty good year). I am a fan of Kahu though and hope he gets some decent game time no matter where he plays.

I'd be happy to give Waddell first crack at hooker too. McCullough's selection should not be a given, imo as he has been very patchy in form over the last few years.

Good team, Broncoman. Pretty much what I had in mind. Only real changes I'd make is Maranta for Kahu. I know Kahu has more potential but I don't think Maranta has done enough to lose his spot (thought he had a pretty good year). I am a fan of Kahu though and hope he gets some decent game time no matter where he plays.

I think it is about who is best for the position, not if a person has done enough to keep it. A new season, a new coach, a new lineup IMO.

Captain Hook said:
I'd be happy to give Waddell first crack at hooker too. McCullough's selection should not be a given, imo as he has been very patchy in form over the last few years.

If I'm reading this right, you want Waddell at 9?

If I'm reading this right, you want Waddell at 9?

Gold star, mate. The only reason is I don't know if McCullough has another gear to go up, tbh. It's interesting - Waddell has played roughly 70 games and yet most people on here have written him off - no improvement is possible. Macca, on the other hand, who is closing in on 200 games apparently still has potential and can improve...if only he has a decent coach, if only he can play 80 minutes, if only insert whatever excuse you want... It's a bit weird.

As much as I'd love to see someone take McCullough's job, it should be someone who's actually better than him, i.e anyone but Waddell.

1. Darious Boyd - I would have preferred to have had Barba here and Boyd on wing but that's not a possibility and as such you go with the best option available at present.

2. Daniel Vidot - Makes plenty of metres for us making him an extra forward but concerns exist of him under the high ball, I think he can overcome it.

3. Dale Copley - Chooses himself outright based on the form shown in 2014, Reed is solid but IMO that just doesn't cut it.
4. Justin Hodges - Agree with Fordy on Hodges rotating with Boyd in attack, definitely a player you want with more freedom in the opposition's half.

5. Corey Oates - I want to see this guy more involved and frankly while his future may be in the forward's, his IMO at present the best option we have on the wing and it won't hold back his development, has real potential to be a strike weapon for us on the wing, with the added power punch like vidot, I see lots of try potential here.

6. Anthony Milford - I see Anthony Milford's long term future here in at 5/8th however like Lockyer I could equally see him as successful at fullback, either way there's no need to rush to move him.

7. Ben Hunt - Clearly the go to man, the forwards give him the platform, he gets quality service from his dummy halves and the points will come be it through creating them for others or scoring them for himself, needs to get consistency with his general kicking game which is something Walters and Lockyer will hopefully work on, his actually pretty lethal with the kick near the line otherwise.

8. Josh McGuire - automatic selection

9. Andrew McCullough - It's do or die time for McCullough, we need more from our dummy half, quality service especially and he needs to take pressure off the halves with dummy half kicking where appropriate.

10. Mitch Garbutt - Originally I was happy to go with Parker but you know what, lets do it and from what I have seen from Garbutt the potential is there.

11. Alex Glenn - The Key for Glenn is to get him running better angles because I feel the opportunities are definitely there, I prefer to also rotate Thaiday and Gillett for impact purposes.

12. Thaiday - As Fordy point's out if we could bottle the rep games into water bottles for him to drink during the games we would see the best out of him, I want to see him back up his claims of wanting to finish his career at the Broncos with actions.

13. Parker, you still get the same workload from Parker at lock, but I agree he shines at lock, I see Mcguire there down the track too if we get our prop pack in order.

14. Matt Parcell - Seems to be a lot of interest in this guy, would like to see him in action and extra pressure on McCullough can only be a good thing.

15. Matt Gillett - Can be absolutely damaging in the right situation's and off the bench I can definitely see that being a real advantage, rotating between him and Thaiday seems right.

16. Mitchell Dodds - I would like to see Dodds back in action at least early on in the season, started to show some promise before he got injured and his got experience, can always go with another option if need be later in the season.

17. James Gavet - The impact prop we need to stand up, in doing so could make a big difference to how our pack fairs.

As much as I'd love to see someone take McCullough's job, it should be someone who's actually better than him, i.e anyone but Waddell.

Only person would be Parcell, apparently he is the quickest hooker out of dummy half in the game.

Active Now

• Browny
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Yellowfella
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.