11 B. Piakura 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0m 10m 0 0
12 J. Riki 0 0 0 0 0 0 46 3 2 13 0 0 0m 101m 1 0
13 P. Carrigan 0 0 0 0 0 2 19 5 3 16 0 0 0m 133m 0 0
8 C. Jensen 0 0 0 0 0 0 45 2 1 11 0 0 0m 87m 1 0
14 T. Smoothy 0 0 0 0 0 0 26 1 1 45 2 0 0m 30m 0 0
15 F. Baker 0 0 0 0 0 1 17 0 0 7 0 0 0m 54m 0 0
16 K. Hetherington 0 0 0 0 1 0 16 1 2 13 0 0 0m 82m 1 0

You will burn a lot of energy if you let that affect you… we are not well liked
It helps that I am a Sagittarius the last fire sign. I know we are not well liked no one can convince me to change teams

Well put. Exactly right, he should stick to rugby league instead of imploring on the impacts of colonisation to his people - 30% of which would not have survived tribal infanticide. Colonisation has nothing to do with what happened to Ezra and JT is a hypocrite for bringing it up in this context.
“I think sports people are held to a higher standard than the rest of the community, but I think the game has failed in this instance. I don’t think the eight weeks is sufficient for what has been said and the mental scars that have been brought up and what our culture has endured over the history since colonisation.”

Source

Is this what you're referring to? Because I don't see the issue with this statement in context of race relations and the history of racial vilification in this country. Watching the interview, he was primarily talking about it from a Rugby League context and how racism should be heavily punished which is what I'd expect an Indigenous representative to push for since he is a role model for the community.

“I think sports people are held to a higher standard than the rest of the community, but I think the game has failed in this instance. I don’t think the eight weeks is sufficient for what has been said and the mental scars that have been brought up and what our culture has endured over the history since colonisation.”

Source

Is this what you're referring to? Because I don't see the issue with this statement in context of race relations and the history of racial vilification in this country. Watching the interview, he was primarily talking about it from a Rugby League context and how racism should be heavily punished which is what I'd expect an Indigenous representative to push for since he is a role model for the community.
Yeah the first part is fine. He doesn't think it's long enough. Thats great... its the second part about what "his culture has endured over history since colonisation".

Perpetual victims like JT are bad for society because they omit conciousness to the ugliness of their "culture". Infanticide, cannibalism and rape towards women and the like. They walk around and pretend that Indigenous were peaceful highly moral individuals that had their lives destroyed by colonisation. It's the card they play at the slightest hint of any injustice. You could argue that JT is one of the biggest beneficiaries of colonisation we have in this country. Despite what white settlers did to his people, on the basis of morality, its only a fraction of what they did to themselves.

If my culture was categorically proven to burying up to 30% of infants alive, I wouldn't be baulking it's ruin at the hands of colonisation to prove a point on the basis of morality... unless your okay with that type of thing?

Yeah the first part is fine. He doesn't think it's long enough. Thats great... its the second part about what "his culture has endured over history since colonisation".

Perpetual victims like JT are bad for society because they omit conciousness to the ugliness of their "culture". Infanticide, cannibalism and rape towards women and the like. They walk around and pretend that Indigenous were peaceful highly moral individuals that had their lives destroyed by colonisation. It's the card they play at the slightest hint of any injustice. You could argue that JT is one of the biggest beneficiaries of colonisation we have in this country. Despite what white settlers did to his people, on the basis of morality, its only a fraction of what they did to themselves.

If my culture was categorically proven to burying up to 30% of infants alive, I wouldn't be baulking it's ruin at the hands of colonisation to prove a point on the basis of morality... unless your okay with that type of thing?
JT said it in the context of racism which is relevant to the discussion. You're arguing that it's a lesser evil because of all these alleged atrocities, but it's beside the point because neither should be tolerated at all.

I think you're getting side-tracked. The point is this dates back centuries and there's no excuse to think it's acceptable, especially when these players have such a high profile in the community.

JT said it in the context of racism which is relevant to the discussion. You're arguing that it's a lesser evil because of all these alleged atrocities, but it's beside the point because neither should be tolerated at all.

I think you're getting side-tracked. The point is this dates back centuries and there's no excuse to think it's acceptable, especially when these players have such a high profile in the community.
No, he's right to call out racism. Racism is evil and his people have historically suffered from racism. That is an undeniable fact. But that's different to raising the impacts of colonisation on his culture and any impact that it has on Ezra Mam or his people..

The truth is unequivocally that Indigenous culture had some nasties that were saved by westerners.. and he shouldn't use his culture or colonisation to prove a moral argument. It would be like modern day Germany critisizing the potsdam agreement on the basis it was socially unfair on Germans despite the fact that they had just killed 6 million Jews...

On the basis of morality, you are never going to win that argument.

No, he's right to call out racism. Racism is evil and his people have historically suffered from racism. That is an undeniable fact. But that's different to raising the impacts of colonisation on his culture and any impact that it has on Ezra Mam or his people..

The truth is unequivocally that Indigenous culture had some nasties that were saved by westerners.. and he shouldn't use his culture or colonisation to prove a moral argument. It would be like modern day Germany critisizing the potsdam agreement on the basis it was socially unfair on Germans despite the fact that they had just killed 6 million Jews...

On the basis of morality, you are never going to win that argument.
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to accept the Indigenous got what they deserved as an acceptable reason why JT shouldn't bring up colonisation when discussing race relations. It maybe the lesser of two evils but that doesn't mean it's right and I've got no qualms with JT talking about the history of racial abuse.

I'm amazed that there are people who don't think it was a racist comment or that his punishment was too severe. You don't see him calling Carrigan a monkey or even Staggs for that matter, he aimed it at the person with the darkest skin on the field because he knew it was going to hurt them the most. He thought about it and made a conscious decision to single out Mam with that insult, and now he gets to think about for 8 more weeks.

You’ve now assumed manifoneway is white and now said he it doesn’t matter what he thinks… pretty offensive
I assumed based on his comments that he was white and have accepted his claim that he is not (despite all his talking points being lifted straight out of the white nationalist handbook), I never said his opinion didn’t matter, I said whether or not he would find the term monkey offensive is not relative to if Ezra did. This was pretty easy to comprehend if you wanted to.

I reckon 8 weeks is a bit much. This isn't really that serious. I mean.. if they can dish out 4 weeks for breaking someone's leg in an illegal tackle I don't see how calling someone a word is worth more than that.

Spencer is definitely a scapegoat. This has more to do about public perception than the severity of what occurred.
Breaking a leg is accidental .
Calling a slur is calculated and deliberate . You can`t see any difference ?

If you deliberately broke their leg .
If you were doing a team job and you got it wrong by mistake with no malice no ...
So if there’s no malice in saying monkey it’s ok?

We’ve heard from two posters itt that this language is normal amongst Polynesians and Indigenous….

We’ve heard from two posters itt that this language is normal amongst Polynesians and Indigenous….

Doesn`t make it right .
And why is the Ref not nipping that crap in the bud , by warning , then sending off fools who use that language ? Who is their supervisor and who sets the standards ?
They are letting the game down .

Doesn't make it right.

The game has an impact on society and must set a clear example, above the standard of society. That's why NRL players are role models and have an impact on children.

If little John playing under 10's hears that a player he likes called someone a monkey - he's likely to walk into the school yard saying it, or at his next training session. He's not old enough to understand, but he can create hurt by saying it to someone.

How do you prove there's no malice?

And if you say you ask the person who said the racial slur, then you are being willfully obtuse.

So you think there might be a chance that Leniu was using that word as a term of endearment?

Really?

hey @Xzei what's your take on it? (probably posted already but not reading 61 pages)

Well we have to accept it to some degree. It's like any abhorrent crime in society. There's a consequence, 8 weeks is too long in my opinion. JT is a hypocrite. Spruiks about the impacts of colonisation but has made himself rich on a game that migrated here with the British.

Perpetual victimhood spruiked by the likes of JT has probably had more of an influence on why ezra feels sad about being called a monkey, rather than actually organically feeling bad at all.

I mean, can we really sit here and listen to these guys imply that society has been bad to these ridiculously highly paid athletes because of their skin color? Seriously?
BP touched upon this, respectfully I disagree with your take on this. People like JT have a profile and a following, and therefore a platform to be utilised to shine a light on issues like this or other issues of concern to the indigenous population, like health, housing, job creation, educational opportunities for youngsters.

If people in the fortunate position of JT do not speak out and use their platform, all you have is silence and the issues are not brought forward to the public mind. Every incident of racial abuse like this is an opportunity to educate the broader public about the issue and to reinforce the message that it is just not acceptable.

If JT stayed quiet, there would be people (perhaps not necessarily you) shouting, he has got his and he only looks after himself, he has forgotten his roots and turned his back on his people. I am sorry but I think your take on this one is flawed.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • HVbronco
  • marw
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Cavalo
  • jarro65
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.