PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2024] Roosters vs Broncos in Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Walters improves his fitness, Dad will want him to run more, rather than do a Macca/Turps and pace himself.
could do cartwheels for all i care lol as long as he can get thru 60+ quality mins

Short answer: no. Long answer: he's on a collision course with Billy for the 14.
But if he cant play 9, I don't see how he gets that 14 either way.

Whoever is going to be the starting 9 this year wont be lasting 80min.

IMG 8181

you seem confident he's locked down a bench spot

If it were to happen (which I don't think it will) I think Sailor either takes Smoothy's bench spot or else misses out. Too light on middles
Not at all, but the buzz yesterday is Kevvie has floated the notion of him being a "supersub" because he can cover a bunch of positions, and cover them well. The team has no other bench candidates who could cover an outside back position, so someone like him who can play Fullback, Wing, Centre, Five Eighth and Halfback would be pretty handy. The trouble is Kevvie's formula is three forwards and a hooker. So it would make sense, if he wants the 14, to get some time in that position.

But like I've said elsewhere, the collision course is that 14 has Billy's name on it, once Mozer takes the 9. And that might even be by the end of the year. But more likely Mozer will start at 14.

There's also the question of Reynolds replacement, and whether Ezra will get his wish and move to 7, leaving 6 vacant. Right now, I'd have Sailor ahead of Madden at 6.

And then there's Coby Black, who showed yesterday he will debut young.

Interesting times.

Simple game plan while we shake the rust (and jet lag) off: Get the forwards running hard and straight, bombs away into the 10 metre zone from Reyno, chase hard and lock down. If we overplay our hand and try and be all flashy in front of the Vegas crowd, it may come back and bite us.

If the Rorters very obviously tire late in the halves, then Mam and Walsh have a license to run riot.

if walters impoved his fitness ect this year like he did last year 60+ min from him wouldnt be out of the question and you could think bout running sailor at 14 but i dont think to start the year.
Reality is Sailor isn’t a very dangerous player in the NRL. Or at least not dangerous enough to leave yourself this vulnerable. We have enough flair as is we need composure and reliability, Smoothy or any normal hooker brings that. Sailor doesn’t.

Sure would be a great 24 round spine player but we don’t need a utility who possesses less punch than the blokes already on the field at the expense of a fresh hooker. Argument is he would be more of a liability than he would have been a point of attack if he was playing and defending through the middle.

I really don’t think it’s a viable option at any stage of the year personally. Just a bit of media to keep him working hard and hopeful and by the end of the season he will have played his 5 or 6 games been kept just happy enough and we can release him. Not a viable option realistically.

Without Capewell we're short someone who can cover the backline mid-game. This may work in Sailor's favour.

It leaves us very light on the bench though, especially considering we're already carrying a smaller body in Hetherington.

Without Capewell we're short someone who can cover the backline mid-game. This may work in Sailor's favour.

It leaves us very light on the bench though, especially considering we're already carrying a smaller body in Hetherington.
You’d actually go with a genuine back like Mariner if that’s the case. We can cover the spine through versatility however Sailor still doesn’t cover outside backs properly though. He would be no more reliable than Piakura or anyone getting shifted to the backline.

Reality is Sailor isn’t a very dangerous player in the NRL. Or at least not dangerous enough to leave yourself this vulnerable. We have enough flair as is we need composure and reliability, Smoothy or any normal hooker brings that. Sailor doesn’t.

Sure would be a great 24 round spine player but we don’t need a utility who possesses less punch than the blokes already on the field at the expense of a fresh hooker. Argument is he would be more of a liability than he would have been a point of attack if he was playing and defending through the middle.

I really don’t think it’s a viable option at any stage of the year personally. Just a bit of media to keep him working hard and hopeful and by the end of the season he will have played his 5 or 6 games been kept just happy enough and we can release him. Not a viable option realistically.
I disagree about Sailor, but I agree about Smoothy. Walters gets all the attention around these parts, mostly because of his surname, but here's what happened last time they played:

Panthers 8: Broncos 0 (Broncos lose by 8)
Walters off, Smoothy on
Panthers 14: Broncos 24 (Broncos win by 18)
Smoothy off, Walters on
Panthers 26: Broncos 24 (Broncos lose by 12)

With Walters on: Broncos lose by 20
With Smoothy on: Broncos win by 18

Now I'm not for a minute blaming Billy for the loss, but there's even less of a case to drop Smoothy.

You’d actually go with a genuine back like Mariner if that’s the case. We can cover the spine through versatility however Sailor still doesn’t cover outside backs properly though. He would be no more reliable than Piakura or anyone getting shifted to the backline.
Sailor has played Fullback, Wing, Centre, Five Eighth and Halfback. He's also come off the bench:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • The Strapper
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • Big Del
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.