Round 1 - Broncos vs Cowboys - Post Match Discussion

Big Pete said:
Porthoz said:
[quote="Big Pete":z18b51fd]3 and he proved himself in 2 of those years.

One game in, and we're already looking to buy other players...must be a new record on here.
Has nothing to do with the Broncos game mate. I already loved what I saw from the Raiders kid in Toyota cup, but he stepped it up in the NRL today, albeit it was against the Sharks...
I'm not saying we should get him now! [icon_non

I wasn't just referring to your post, I was also talking about the De Gois post.

Williams played well today, but let's give Wallace, Hunt, Norman and Cullen a go before we start looking to import some rookie.[/quote:z18b51fd]
When opportunities arise, you've got to grab them. This kid has the goods for mine, and if there is a chance, we should get him IMO.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that we need to give our team some time and games to work things out, or even experiment with Wallace at hooker and Hunt at HB.

shaneomac said:
i think wallace is still the long termhalf for brisbane.

Now that's faith! He's been with us 3.04 seasons and he's produced 15 quality games...

What about giving TeReo a run at hooker ?

Tapa-mafia member

Wrong, Rock. He was GOOD in the first 3 and last 6 games of 2008. Average in between. And good in the last 6 games of 2009.

= 15.

You just have lower standards.

Hey guys first post on the forum, long time reader.

Anyway, I’m kinda glad we lost a close game first up. Don’t get me wrong I would feel better if we won, but this lose gives the team a chance to be more critical of the terrible errors that were made in the game. If we score a try at the death and won, then this week the boys might have been running on false confidence. The raiders looked the goods on the weekend. If we give them the same chances we gave the cows then the score could be a lot more painful than it was on Friday. The team now has an opportunity to be critical of the errors and work hard during the week to improve. The cowboys were slightly better than average and take JT and Bowen out and well who knows... rather lose a close game like that, than win and get towelled up the next week.

Coxy said:
Wrong, Rock. He was GOOD in the first 3 and last 6 games of 2008. Average in between. And good in the last 6 games of 2009.

= 15.

You just have lower standards.
Can't argue with Coxy re: Wallace.

He did appear to be the bloke to break the curse of the Brisbane #7, and probably is the best half back we've had since Alf - but he has never recovered from his injuries.

Did anyone see Jarrod Mullen's kicking game yesterday? It was incredible. and Jamie Sowards on Saturday night. He isn't half as good as those guys, not even a quarter as good. And he won't even give the ball to locky when he calls for it ffs.

Ben Hunts kicks were better than Wallaces imo.

mrslong said:

Including the one in the first half that he did for himself on about the third tackle that led to a Cowboys try?

mrslong said:
Hunt didn't kick at all, unless you want to count that grubber... [icon_non and I don't think that was better than any of Wallace's kicks! [icon_wink

[eusa_doh [icon_shady OK well I might have got confused...was a bit loose at the game and haven't watched it on TV yet :oops:

We all know Wallace isn't exactly the second coming of Allan Langer but the simple fact is that for 2011 he's the best option we have. The more I see of Ben Hunt the less I like him - yes, he's playing out of position at the moment but seriously, he shows ZERO creativity with the ball and seems to lack what I would call "footy smarts".

Wallace is rubbish, always has been rubbish, and needs to go. thats all that needs to be said.

i wasnt excited about signing him, i wasnt happy with him in 2008 when he played a handful of decent games and poorly for the rest, i wasnt happy in 2009 when he did the same, and i certainly wasnt happy with his absolutely rubbish season last year. hes a nothing player. hes never going to be a top grade halfback. when he plays excellent by his standards, hes still only playing average compared to the rest of the teams' halves.

we shouldnt be subbing our hooker with a halfback. hooker is, and always has been, an 80 minute position unless you have 2 GREAT hookers. replacing our starting hooker after only 35 minutes in the first game of the season with a halfback is just ridiculous, when youve got a halfback whos proven to be as useless of a halfback as TC was.

until they get the hooker/halfback situation sorted out, we're not going to be winning many games. should never have put all of our eggs into the wallace basket.

i dont care if Hunt isnt looking that great - give him the starting halfback position for a few games and see how he goes. he cant turn in worse performances than Wallace has for the last 12 months. hes not going to get better as a halfback by playing 50 minutes at hooker every few weeks.

Well personally I'd rather have a guy that has shown (no matter how inconsistently) that he's up to first grade standard than someone who's shown absolutely nothing for years but that's just me.

Meat77 said:
Well personally I'd rather have a guy that has shown (no matter how inconsistently) that he's up to first grade standard than someone who's shown absolutely nothing for years but that's just me.

So you'd have preferred to keep Shane Perry rather than buy Peter Wallace in the first place? :P

[icon_lol1.

Nice try Coxy - except Wallace had shown some glimpses of ability with the Panfers before we bought him!

Seriously. Just leave the halfback position vacant. An odd bounce of the ball would direct it to a better player than Wallace would.

The Rock said:
Average in between? He was solid, consistent and directed the team around like a quality halfback. If that's your definition of average then your standards are too high.
but that should be the absolute bare minimum for EVERY first grade halfback. if he doesnt do that hes BELOW average.

he couldnt set up a try to save his life for most of the season. couldnt hit the ground with a kick most games. couldnt even muster up a line break assist most games. he was the very definition of average, if not below average.

this isnt the under 20s - its first grade NRL. if your halfback cant get points on the board, its time to start looking elsewhere.

The Rock said:
And yet we want to take a risk with Ben Hunt. And what happens if Hunt doesn't work out and is worse than Wallace, what do we do? Do we bring Wallace back? [icon_shru You can't do that.

That's exactly the point!

I'm no massive Wallace fan but no-one can honestly say that Hunt is even close to his standard - so for thos year we have no choice but to stick with Wallace.

Next year - sure, go into the market and see what we have - but right now there is no other option.

I think people are just praying that Hunt works out coz he was a gun in under 20's and the Broncos have invested a lot of time and money on him - but if you don't have what it takes then you have to cut the cord sooner or later...

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • johnny plath
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • Clintos
  • Fozz
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • leon.bott
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.