Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrows team selection will be a debacle. Parker at Prop, Thaiday at lock and Hoffman in the 6. What a mess. Griffin hasn't learnt a thing. I can't wait till he is gone.

I reckon Nikorima will be at 6, Corey Parker spilled that it was a rookie on 9 news the other night.

Barba and Hoffman trained at 6 this arvo.

I honestly don't see the point of Parker at prop just to fit all of Gillett, Thaiday and Glenn in the back row. Really pointless IMO, especially when it means it will force both McGuire and Kennedy on the bench (most likely with Hannant starting?) I haven't waived from my views about 5/8th from what I said last year either - I prefer Strasser to get first crack.

Just thinking, Thaiday at lock is so bizarre, like really bizarre - Gillett is a better fit at lock for me anyway. Hopefully Parker will stay lock, but I'm not counting on it

While I don't think moving Parker to prop would really damage his game too much (as they are very similar positions), there's just no point.

dont want to cause alarm before tomorrow, but ol mate from CM reckons:

Todd Balym@toddbalym 29s
Tipping Josh Hoffman will be Brisbane's No.6 when teams are named tomorrow.

doesnt really line up with thaiday/parkers comments alst week though.

Thats only about the 3rd or 4th guy the media have tipped to get the spot ... the media have no idea who it will be. but if one of the players they have previously tipped to get the spot is actually named, then they will act as if they knew it all along.

I think Griffin may be messing with their heads !!!

Thats only about the 3rd or 4th guy the media have tipped to get the spot ... the media have no idea who it will be. but if one of the players they have previously tipped to get the spot is actually named, then they will act as if they knew it all along.

I think Griffin may be messing with their heads !!!

True, but I do worry about the below comment....

Barba and Hoffman trained at 6 this arvo.

I only see Hoffman playing 6 in defence ... i personally think Barba could make a good 6. and i'm not sure that Nikorima is ready to be our full time 6

I have good news and bad news after watching ball work training session today if it actually resembles the team.

Once they finished their left hand and right hand side attack and defensive drills. The team did a full 13 man session which had Vidot on the left wing (good news) and Maranta (bad news) on the left. Note that they were not interchanged for the entire 15 min full team session. They look locked in. Mills and Drew were both there fit and defending.

More bad news, Hoffman was never on the wing. Both he and Barba played in the middle both changing sides. It was hard to tell who had the 5/8 role due to the constant switching which tells me Hoffman will be named at 5/8 and they will probably share the role.

To make matters worse, at the end of the ball work session, both Barba and Hoffman went behind the post for bomb practise. Hoffman then practised cross field kicks to Vidot.

Kodi N never once filled in the halves. He just defended.

Kennedy and Hannant started as well but that really doesn't mean to much but based on what i saw today the team will be:

Barba
Vidot L
Reed L
Copley R
Maranta R
Hoffman
Hunt
Kennedy
Mc
Hannant
Thaiday
Gillett
Parker

I think it there will be 4 forwards no hooker on the bench
Lowrie
Maguire
Glenn
Molo ???

Last edited:
This is Griffin we're talking about here, Hoffman will play at 5/8 in attack throughout the game also. He fucking loves Hoffman for some reason.

We can all hope Hoffman is only at 5/8 in defense, but $20 says that he will be doing more than defense.

This is Griffin we're talking about here, Hoffman will play at 5/8 in attack throughout the game also. He fucking loves Hoffman for some reason.

We can all hope Hoffman is only at 5/8 in defense, but $20 says that he will be doing more than defense.

They were both taking bombs but Barba did the most. Hoffman certainly practised cross field kicks and grubbers which is not a good sign.

Actually its a good sign if you want Griffin gone by Round 4.

The Courier Mail uploaded an article at 6:59 tonight talking about Nikorima getting the 5/8 spot

BRISBANE co-captain Corey Parker is confident teenage playmaker Kodi Nikorima can handle the intense pressure if he is thrown into a round-one NRL debut against Canterbury.Ben Hunt’s halves partner should be known on Tuesday afternoon when Broncos coach Anthony Griffin names his squad for Friday night’s Bulldogs clash at ANZ Stadium.
There has been speculation Griffin will alternate the five-eighth role between prize recruit Ben Barba and New Zealand international Josh Hoffman or throw rookie Nikorima into the cauldron.
Parker said on Monday he had faith in the 19-year-old Nikorima to handle the heat in the role formerly occupied by Darren Lockyer, Kevin Walters and Wally Lewis.
``The best thing about young guys is that they play footy for what it is and they don’t seem to worry about external pressures,’’ Parker said.
``If he was to be put in the first-grade team for round one, I’m sure he’d do a good job, like he’s done the last two times in the trials.’’
New Zealand-born Nikorima made a strong case for inclusion in the Broncos’ starting side with a dominant display in the Auckland Nines, although the NRL will be a different beast altogether.
``We all got to see Kodi play in the Nines and that style of footy suited him,’’ Parker said.
``He’s certainly impressed. He’s only a young guy and his (younger) brother (Jayden) is on board training in the first-grade squad too.
``What he might lack in size (Nikorima is 174cm), he certainly makes up for in ability and speed.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...or-nrl-big-stage/story-fniabm4i-1226844093809

sorry double post

Last edited:
Seems to me Parker is trying to pressure the coach into picking Kodi but Hook seems to have other ideas.

The Courier Mail uploaded an article at 6:59 tonight talking about Nikorima getting the 5/8 spot

[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

Unless Griffin turned into a spin doctor during the off season and didn't want to play Kodi in front of the cameras then I can safely say, he didn't touch the ball in the 13 man 15 minute drill. He defended with Mills, Marmin Barba, Drew and the rest of the forwards.

Should be interesting tomorrow when the team is announced.

I'm hoping for the best team possible tommorow and no Maranta involved

Dont let me down Mr Hook Griffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Morkel
  • marw
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Mick_Hancock
  • levikaden
  • FACTHUNT
  • mystico
  • TimWhatley
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Canga
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.