Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Maranta is crap because he is not a winger so why put Mills in his preferred position and not Maranta. Lets face it wing was the position up for grabs not centre or fullback and Maranta was a much safer option than Mills.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
He hasn't just trained there for a week.

2 weeks then. Whatever. He will still be a useless as tits on a bull. I think the bigger issue is the club is clueless and has let it get in this situation. The other option was Kahu or a couple of hack halves who don't look likely to be up to the NRL ever.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
2 weeks then. Whatever. He will still be a useless as tits on a bull. I think the bigger issue is the club is clueless and has let it get in this situation. The other option was Kahu or a couple of hack halves who don't look likely to be up to the NRL ever.

Even the supposed "best case scenario" for 2014 (i.e. Milford in the 6) was far from a water tight, lock in a premiership solution.

Milford is good, but green and untested as a NRL 6.

I'm warming to the Hoffman idea. He's just got to make sure that he passes it early to Barba (though I feel Hunt will be roaming on both sides of the field).

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
I think Hoffman at 6 is the least of our worries. I'm more concerned about our forward pack continuing the trend of racking up record missed tackle counts every game and getting steam-rolled by supposedly inferior packs.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
McCullough & Hunt proved during the nines that when they're given space a room to move they have too tools to orchestrate points. It won't matter who plays fullback/centre/wing/5-8 if our forwards aren't doing anything. If our forwards can make metres and be committed in defense than Having both Hoffman & Barba on the field is only going to be a bonus for us. Also having Hunt on both sides of the attack limits opportunities for a 'target defender' to line him up every play.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Barba is apparently going to become 9's new poster boy on Friday night

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

He is still coming of severe personal problems and I think he shouldn't get drooled over by everyone just yet. Give the man some personal space and let him find his feet and best form first.

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
What I can't and won't ever do, is death-ride my team to achieve the purpose of getting rid of Hook (or anyone else), or even just to be able to brag about being right!
100% agree with this, no matter how much you hate a coach or positional changes etc should never wish your team to lose no matter what it may achieve, better to hope that the coach/changes pay off.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
His solution, like Hasler’s, stems from the most basic of principles. “We will be playing to our strengths and that is in our backrow where we have guys like Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker, Matt Gillett and Alex Glenn, who are all Test players and can really create a lot of second phase,” prop Josh McGuire said yesterday.

So says Josh McGuire. Corey Parker is supposed to be in the front row and not the back row. I cannot understand why you would pick a talented player in a bash and barge role. Until we start buying or developing top shelf frontrowers we will continue to be also rans. They win you GFs and we are light on.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Hey guys, just signed up - I was a fairly regular poster at rleague before that place went to shit so I know a few of you guys (such a Morkel) glad that I stumbled on this place, looks great!

Some absolutely baffling decisions, why Maranta is still in our jersey I will never know - zero broken tackles as a winger in the amount of games he played last year is totally unacceptable.

I'm apprehensive about Hoffman at #6, but I'm willing to give him a shot before I right him off. Even if he takes for of a running role akin to a Sutton (we all know Hoffman can break the line) I'd be quite happy.

All in all though, I'm just happy footy season is back and I'm quietly optimistic about our round 1 chances.

Saying you knew me would have given you far more street cred, but welcome to the forums! Essentially agree with everything you've said, quality first post.

Currently, I'm over the initial shock of the Hoffman/Barba situation and I'm interested to see how it goes...but I still can't stomach the Maranta selection. I hope the little tacker does well but history suggests otherwise.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think the Maranta selection is a defensive selection rather than an attacking one.

he does seem safe under the high ball and relatively good defensively (at least compared to our other options).

I just hope he learnt how to find the tryline over the offseason... maybe Hoffman helped him some, after all he was our leading try scorer last season and is our number 1 winger

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If you put Parker in the front row, McGuire should be at lock IMO. He's Parker 2.0, minus the offloading and a bit less talented (at the moment at least).

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
I think alot of people are forgiving the fact that Hoffman is at 6 because they are excited just too see some footy again. I hope he goes well but the pitch forks will be out for Griffin if he doesn't and the season starts slipping away. All good for now :)

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Yeah, when opposition gets 4 players sent off or sin binned, that's when we'll really shine.

The few times that McCullough & Hunt have played together and the fowards have done their job they have shown to be quite a good combination (even better with Norman there too). Like any side, you're creative players can't do anything if they're constantly down their own end.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Look, I don't feel great about our chances this week, let alone this season, but all the hysteria on here is a bit much TBH. I'm not having a go at anyone, you're all entitled to vent and I enjoy reading all the different discussions and opinions.

We haven't even played one NRL match this season and people are blowing up deluxe.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't think everything is rosy - but it's a fresh season, let's wait a few rounds and see what happens.

On Friday I'm looking forward to watching the match with an open book. I'm going to try and leave all my concerns and biases with last season and give the team a clean slate. Except for Maranta. Sorry Lachlan.

I'm gonna try and enjoy the game, rather than stress about who's playing where, why our tactics suck, etc.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
On Friday I'm looking forward to watching the match with an open book. I'm going to try and leave all my concerns and biases with last season and give the team a clean slate. Except for Maranta. Sorry Lachlan.

I'm gonna try and enjoy the game, rather than stress about who's playing where, why our tactics suck, etc.

i'm with this. my expectations have been lowered but i do have an open mind about how its going to go. really looking forward to it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncsgoat
  • levikaden
  • Wolfie
  • sooticus
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.