Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Roosters v Souths game (1 v 2), I am resigned to the fact that the Broncos are a good few seasons off being premiership material. They are the pace setters without a doubt. The Broncos just aren't in the same class.

But that's not the reason I'm a member of the Broncos. They represent more than that for me and so long as they continue to play with pride and ambition. I'd love it even more if they went back to the ethos of the early 90's when we genuinely were the entertainers with our halves having a genuine go.

That's all I hope for tonight, is something different than the effort and the performances of 2013, which was effectively a rehash of 2012, which was effectively a rehash of 2011, minus Darren Lockyer.

Tough times don't last.

+1

+FIH returns....

.... something's building fellas..... (could just be a cat 1 elec storm in Syd's west - but I hope it's fireworks at ANZ tonight....)

So pumped for this.
All I want is the team to play well together, see Barba tear it up and watch Vidots awesome kick returns.

So pumped for this.
All I want is the team to play well together, see Barba tear it up and watch Vidots awesome kick returns.

+1 on this. I'm getting really pumped up. Win or lose I just want to see a good team performance with the boys playing for each other

Looks like Mbye will start at 6 and Thompson at 1.

Josh Reynolds must be out then.

Footy on tonight. No better way to spend a friday night.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the team puts together a quality all round performance, win, lose or draw, us fans should be happy and not too critical. We still have to remember, were working with a fairly new spine, with new players here and there.

Through more game time we'll only see improvement. Tonight's match could be a huge confidence booster and stepping block for the season ahead. As combinations settle, and players figure out what works to their strengths and what doesn't, we'll see a new brand of footy.

I really hope Hoffman plays out of his skin and just backs himself to choose the right option. Throughout his time at fullback, he often shaped to pass, but just looked tentative and reluctant to actually pass it. This always appeared to be a confidence thing. I reckon, at times this wasn't a true indication of his ball playing ability, because in almost all instances, his outside men were always too flat to offer any opportunity for a pass.

One thing I'd love to see, is our players playing deep and running onto the ball. Not only does this create more time for the halves to pick their options, but it creates more space to play to as the defending team often don't move up in a perfect line.

For instance, when the defenders push up and the attackers are flat, it is easy to maintain a straight defensive line. However, if the attacking team having multiple options deep, defenders have to move up more which can create attacking opportunities through poor defensive reads such as a player rushing up too far by himself, or even just one player becoming lazy and not keeping up with the rest of the defensive line.

A deep attacking structure poses more of a threat than a flat one, as it is harder to defend against. Flat defence just requires the defensive team to slide with the attacking team. However if players are deep and there are multiple options running onto the ball with speed, the defence has to make a decision, and quite often, can make the wrong one. They can either go for the decoy runner, leaving the fullback open, or can even hold back in anticipation for the fullback to get the ball, which allow the hole runner to sprint through a gap.

Barba, Hoffman, Hunt and McCullough could develop a really strong combination. Hoffman, Hunt and McCullough all came through the lower grades together, so there's that sense of familiarity between the three, plus Barba has a pre-existing combination with Hoffman which stems all the way back to their days as kids growing up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all four played in the NYC in the same year.

According the the Dogs' twitter feed we're both 1-17. I was really hoping Hala would get a spot as having a four forward bench that includes Wallace and Lowrie just seems unnecessary. I just don't want to see a scenario in which we have 2 of Hannant, McGuire, Parker, Glenn, Gillett, Thaiday and Kennedy on the bench but decide to send in Todd or Jarrod.

[MENTION=8440]bazza[/MENTION] stop being positive ... apparently thats no longer allowed on this forum.

According the the Dogs' twitter feed we're both 1-17. I was really hoping Hala would get a spot as having a four forward bench that includes Wallace and Lowrie just seems unnecessary. I just don't want to see a scenario in which we have 2 of Hannant, McGuire, Parker, Glenn, Gillett, Thaiday and Kennedy on the bench but decide to send in Todd or Jarrod.

Hala's form is so ordinary right now that there's virtually no difference between him or Wallace.

I'd say Wallace is a real chance of not getting game time tonight imo.

Hala's form is so ordinary right now that there's virtually no difference between him or Wallace.
They aren't the same style of player. Looking at our bench they'd be lucky to get one 10-15 minute stint. If we had some players out and needed someone to start and play a solid 30-35 minutes I'd go with Wallace. But for a just-go-wreck-shit stint that lasts as long as you can hold your breath I'd go with Hala.

So Josh Reynolds is playing...damn.

I disagree.

Both guys rely on their size to bend the line. Heck, I think both guys share the same weaknesses, both have poor lateral defence and have issues with fitness.

I suspect Wallace will play the 'Hala' role tonight.

I disagree.

Both guys rely on their size to bend the line. Heck, I think both guys share the same weaknesses, both have poor lateral defence and have issues with fitness.

I suspect Wallace will play the 'Hala' role tonight.
They are both big but in totally different ways. Hala is faster, stronger and subsequently more explosive whereas Wallace is taller, fitter and a better defender. Hala breaks tackles (30 in 187 NRL carries) whereas Wallace doesn't (1 tackle break in 50 NRL carries). I still like Wallace, but there is a massive difference between the way he and Hala play.

All that illustrates is that Hala was better at the job than Wallace.

That hasn't been the case so far this season.

Perhaps if their were defensive stats and minutes stats, I'd be persuaded but right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • Astro
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • NSW stables
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.