Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd sell my grandmother to have Justin Hodges play every game this year. 1. Hoffman 6. Barba, with Hodges switching in attack. A man can dream.

Should be an interesting couple of weeks leading up to the opener. Hook and the rest of the coaching team will be well aware that anything less than a win will be unacceptable. Especially given the strong opposition to come.

What I'm worried about is Hook's obsession with having his best 13 start regardless of their position. Last year it was Thaiday in the front row, now it's Parker with Thaiday playing lock. What was the point of buying Kennedy if he's not going to be in our top 3 props?

What I expect:

1. Hoffman
2. Maranta
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Mills
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. MacCullough
10. Parker
11. Gillett
12. Glenn
13. Thaiday
14. Granville
15. Kennedy
16. Lowrie
17. Hala

What I want

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Mills
6. Nikorima
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. MacCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker
14. Granville
15. Kennedy
16. Gillett
17. Hala

Once Hodges is back play him at the 6. In our attacking zone (if we ever get there) he can switch with Barba.

I'm delirious with lack of sleep but here's an idea. Our defence was shithouse, to the point where it was like good ol' Stevie Michaels was derping it up and ruining it for everyone. The whole team had to cover for his deficiencies and therefore it was like we were constantly a man short. Just like yesterday. Maybe that proves that regardless of how nippy our proposed 5/8's are, they're dragging the whole team down in defence. We need someone who has good strength & lateral movement in that position, but can still pass the ball or create chances. Kahu might be good enough at that, at least when he gets back.

Also, Parker or Thaiday at prop is a no from me. Parker was rooted and there were two tries that were caused by him not covering the inside in defence - and we know it wouldn't be effort letting him down. In McGuire, Hannant & Kennedy, we almost have the whole collective 160 minutes of prop game time covered, so having to 15-20 minute props on the bench is fine, leaving the back-rowers to be back-rowers. Problem is there are too many of them. Therefore I propose (remember again, delirium):

6) McCullough

9) Glenn

Just until Kahu gets back. Yes it ruins team dynamics and we all saw what happened with the 9) Wallace, 12) McCullough experiment, but just food for thought.

Delirium - great song!! I actually think it could work the other way Morkel. Glenn is a good hole running back rower which would possibly make him a good hole running six. The problem then though is all our creativity has to come through Hunt and Barba, which would work if our (should be) amazing forward pack are given freedom to ball play.

Not a stupid temporary fix Morkel. Anything is worth thinking about at present

What about Gillett at 9. No one would know WTF he was going to do not even our own players

Last edited:
Not a stupid temporary fix Morkel. Anything is worth thinking about at present

What about Gillett at 9. No one would know WTF he was going to do not even our own players

Well then he'd be no different to our current 9.

I'm delirious with lack of sleep but here's an idea. Our defence was shithouse, to the point where it was like good ol' Stevie Michaels was derping it up and ruining it for everyone. The whole team had to cover for his deficiencies and therefore it was like we were constantly a man short. Just like yesterday. Maybe that proves that regardless of how nippy our proposed 5/8's are, they're dragging the whole team down in defence. We need someone who has good strength & lateral movement in that position, but can still pass the ball or create chances. Kahu might be good enough at that, at least when he gets back.

Also, Parker or Thaiday at prop is a no from me. Parker was rooted and there were two tries that were caused by him not covering the inside in defence - and we know it wouldn't be effort letting him down. In McGuire, Hannant & Kennedy, we almost have the whole collective 160 minutes of prop game time covered, so having to 15-20 minute props on the bench is fine, leaving the back-rowers to be back-rowers. Problem is there are too many of them. Therefore I propose (remember again, delirium):

6) McCullough

9) Glenn

Just until Kahu gets back. Yes it ruins team dynamics and we all saw what happened with the 9) Wallace, 12) McCullough experiment, but just food for thought.

the more I think about it the more that your above suggestion makes sense around Macca at 5/8. Maybe we could use Granville at 9 for 50 minutes though.

My team for the Bulldogs.

I am thinking we need a bit more size in the pack

1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Copely
5. Maranta
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. Macca
10. Kennedy
11. Macguire
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Wallace until Dodds is back
15. Molo/Hala
16. Gillett
17. Glenn

Only have one of Molo and Wallace on the field at a time

Last edited:
Whats with Maranta in your team?

the more I think about it the more that your above suggestion makes sense around Macca at 5/8. Maybe we could use Granville at 9 for 50 minutes though.

I thought about that, but despite him being a tenacious bugger in defence, Granville's just too small to leave out there for too long - in fact it will be no better than having one of the midgets at 5/8 like we saw yesterday. Which is why I went for Glenn, who is a much stronger defender and will not miss as many tackles as when he's on the edges compensating for those around him.

Strangely enough, for someone who's been criticised for a pedestrian running game and slow with passing, Macca was awesome in the 9's, so my thought is that he'd be better with a bit more space (#6 instead of #9), especially with Barba angling around.

My team for the Bulldogs.

I am thinking we need a bit more size in the pack

1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Copely
5. Maranta
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. Macca
10. Kennedy
11. Macguire
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Wallace until Dodds is back
15. Molo/Hala
16. Gillett
17. Glenn

Only have one of Molo and Wallace on the field at a time

honestly wouldnt mind seeing this forward rotation. mcguire is a lock in waiting, maybe we could utilise him on an edge.

ive just about had enough of gillett and glenn.

honestly wouldnt mind seeing this forward rotation. mcguire is a lock in waiting, maybe we could utilise him on an edge.

ive just about had enough of gillett and glenn.

I defy anyone on to tell me they would not like to see Mcguire run over the top of Reynolds on that left edge

As for Maranta on the wing that was a tough one. I thought he looked better than Mills yesterday but he goes when Hodges gets back

Last edited:
Mills seems talented, but I think he's a bit of a cat, which holds him back. Kinda like Maranta, though with Maranta it seems to be confidence, as he's shown to be fairly brave at times. Mills just seems afraid of getting tackled.

Mills seems talented, but I think he's a bit of a cat, which holds him back. Kinda like Maranta, though with Maranta it seems to be confidence, as he's shown to be fairly brave at times. Mills just seems afraid of getting tackled.

On that, I'd like to see a bit more of Michael Hancock in our players when they're tackled. Writhe around as if they are absolutely disgusted with the thought of the opposition touching them. Hodges does it all the time to draw penalties, most of the time it works. Our players seem too happy to be flopped on when they have the ball.

Why not just elevate Drew above the both of them? Like most of you I was disappointed in Mills but unlike previous years we do have a good deal of viable options this year. My personal pecking order for the wing is Hoffman>Copley>Vidot>Kahu>Oates>Drew>Mills>Maranta with Yow Yeh's place to be determined when he's playing 80 minutes week-in week-out at QCup level. For round 1 we could see Hoffman and Copley in other positions, Kahu is still injured and Oates may not be ready yet either, but by round 6-7 we could have Maranta 5 injuries away from first grade. And maybe it's just my eternal optimisim, but I honestly believe that as sixth-string wingers go, he has the potential to some day be in the top two-thirds.

On that, I'd like to see a bit more of Michael Hancock in our players when they're tackled. Writhe around as if they are absolutely disgusted with the thought of the opposition touching them. Hodges does it all the time to draw penalties, most of the time it works. Our players seem too happy to be flopped on when they have the ball.
+1 The faster you writhe, the longer it seems like they've been on top of you (doesn't only apply to football either).

What I would love to know is where are our young big islander wingers? Most other clubs have plenty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ChewThePhatt
  • leon.bott
  • Ondi
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • kman
  • Skathen
  • Fatboy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Fitzy
  • BRC088
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • winslow_wong
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.