Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dunno what you were watching but he just looks tedious trying to pass the ball and that was without options, just getting it to the next man. being a five eighth involves making decisions as well. and well we know the play 9 times out of 10 breaks down when he came into the line from fullback.

its centre or wing or nothing for me.

If we're going to use a fullback at 5/8, then this should be the 1, 6 & 7.

1. Hodges (When he comes back), Hoffman until then.
6. Barba
7. Hunt

When Hodges was at fullback for the Broncos last year, we became far more dangerous in attack.

I'm all for it. I was calling for this a long time ago, wanting Hoffman to continually switch throughout a game with Barba between second receiver and fullback, creating doubt in the opposition defence. I noticed Hoffman practising his left foot kick pre game against the warriors, which suggested he was in consideration.

I think Hoffman will surprise a lot of people at five-eighth, as he is more talented than we get to see. Quite frankly he didn't look to bad passing out the back to his fullback. In his brief time in the trials, our attack looked sharper, as we were stringing a few passes together. It certainly looked better than when Nikorima or Strasser played five-eighth alongside Hunt.

The interesting thing is, that Hoffman seems to play differently in whatever position he is playing. At five-eighth, he passed the ball more in that short amount of time, than in his combined time at fullback. I don't know whether that is due to coaching and just the gameplan.

Either way, Hoffman played five-eighth alongside Barba during his whole junior footy days, so they have that familiarity and knack of knowing what the other ones doing. Hoffman did express his desire to play five-eighth after Locky's retirement. I think that could be a real possibility.

i don't know what game you were watching but the one I watched on the weekend wasn't how you put it IMO. Kodi actually threw a couple of great balls, one to Maranta that if the slow useless shit was actually running onto we would have scored. Hoffman passed slowly and which slowed the play down. Kodi's passing game >>> miles >>>> few more miles >>>> hoffman's passing game.

The team I expect the Bulldogs to throw up

1: Sam Perrett
2: Chase Stanley
3: Josh Morris
4: Krisnan Inu
5: Mitch Brown
6: Josh Reynolds
7: Trent Hodkinson
8: Aiden Tolman
9: Michael Ennis
10: Sam Kasiano
11: Tony Williams
12: Josh Jackson
13: Greg Eastwood

14: James Graham
15: Frank Pritchard
16: Reni Maitua (if he is allowed to)
17: Dale Finucane

Sucks harder that Hodgo is unlikely to be back before Round 6.

Why was Hodges back in the centres after his super successful stint at fullback?

My Side for Round 1:

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Hoffman
6. Nikorima/Hoffman/Strasser
7. Hunt
8. Kennedy
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Oates
15. McGuire
16. Glenn
17. Molo

The team I expect the Bulldogs to throw up

1: Sam Perrett
2: Chase Stanley
3: Josh Morris
4: Krisnan Inu
5: Mitch Brown
6: Josh Reynolds
7: Trent Hodkinson
8: Aiden Tolman
9: Michael Ennis
10: Sam Kasiano
11: Tony Williams
12: Josh Jackson
13: Greg Eastwood

14: James Graham
15: Frank Pritchard
16: Reni Maitua (if he is allowed to)
17: Dale Finucane

I think mbye will play 6 in the opener, reynolds has been out injured but mbye looks like he may take that position now.

Because Hook was up to his tricks
And a few hamstring/achilles issues...

Just imagining what he would snap next, I would be grinding my teeth so hard each time he returned the ball, I would be down to the bone by the end of the game.

And a few hamstring/achilles issues...

Just imagining what he would snap next, I would be grinding my teeth so hard each time he returned the ball, I would be down to the bone by the end of the game.

Now, I'm no scientist or dentist for that matter but I can't help but feel its a little freakish it would take you that long to get to the bone.

I've got really big teeth.

Well that explains it, though now I'm picturing the big book of British smiles from that Simpsons episode.

My team for round 1 would be as follows...

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Vidot/Oates
6. Nikorima
7. Hunt
8. Mcguire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Kennedy
16. Glenn
17. Hala (don't care if he's lazy, he's huge)

I'm noticing most people are starting Gillett over Glenn - Is that just a reflection of which player you think is better? My concern is having Gillett and Thaiday both fatiguing at the same ~25-30 minute mark but Glenn only being able to sub for one. If you start Glenn over Gillett and have him play the bulk of his minutes in the first half with a smaller second half stint I feel you can get better impact and balance without having to change the total amount of minutes each backrower actually plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Foordy
  • Alec
  • Santa
  • Dee
  • Rambstien
  • blacknwhite
  • Canga
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.