Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't bought this up elsewhere, but I've seen enough and this is how I would open the season

I'm relying heavily on our pack which on paper should be capable of doing a good job against almost any team ... but for whatever reason they collectively don't seem to have it in them currently ... the coach has lost the team ?

Barba
Oates if available, Vidot if not
Copley
Reed
Hoffman
Gillett (for 15 or 20 mins only, then McCullough to 5/8 and Granville plays 40 mins or so and see where we are with 20 to go)
Hunt
Hannant
McCullough
McGuire
Thaiday
Glenn
Parker

Granville
Kennedy
Vidot if Oates is playing, Lowrie if Vidot starts on the wing
Hala/Molo ... a prop whoever

All of Macca's younger days were in the halves. Barba will play like a 5/8 in attack anyway and with Macca in the front line at least our defence should be somewhat stronger.

It is a desparation move but we have no better options.

Macca and Hunt are my halves ... at least for now

Oink !

Why put Gillett in the halves? It was a massive fail last time and that was against the Eels.

its only for 15 or 20 mins ... hopefully to get through the initial onslaught and so Macca can get the pigs rolling forward to start the game ... also Granville will be more effective once the sting goes out of everybody's legs

Oink !

My team for round 1 would be as follows...

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Vidot/Oates
6. Nikorima
7. Hunt
8. Mcguire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Kennedy
16. Glenn
17. Hala (don't care if he's lazy, he's huge)

Really like this team I think that's the best we can field.

My team would look sumpthin like dis:

1-Barba
2-Vidot
3-Copley
4-Reed
5-Hoffman (if healthy)
6-Strasser
7-Nikorima
8-McGuire
9-McCullogh
10-Green
11-Gillett
12-Thaiday
13-Parker
14-Hunt
15-Kennedy
16-Glenn
17-Hannant

Hardly an imposing side but such is the 2014 version of the once mighty Brisbane Broncos. Strasser and Nikorima have been the 2 best halves in the 2 matches that I have seen,(not counting that Nines rubbish), Hunt can go back to his original role of which he occasionally had an impact, he is a disgrace to the Bronco colours, horrible player. Nikorima is quick and smart, Hunt wouldn"t even be clever in a removalist"s singlet. Liked what I seen with Jon Green vs NQ, might as well give him a shot, this team is going nowhere anyways. I gave Hannant a token bench spot despite being awful for 2 years now, might as well have Shane Tronc back if you going to have someone fat and slow. Hook's side will differ a bit from this one, but don't get me started on him. Will be an interesting season, double digits in the win column is not reality, will struggle to stay out of the basement. :(

i'm going with this

1 barba
2 hoffman
3 reed
4 copley
5 vidot?where is he
6 nikorima
7 hunt
8 hannant
9 macca
10 kennedy
11 mcguire
12 thaiday
13 parker

14 glenn
15 gillett
16 jwallace
17 molo

My team would look sumpthin like dis:

1-Barba
2-Vidot
3-Copley
4-Reed
5-Hoffman (if healthy)
6-Strasser
7-Nikorima
8-McGuire
9-McCullogh
10-Green
11-Gillett
12-Thaiday
13-Parker
14-Hunt
15-Kennedy
16-Glenn
17-Hannant

Hardly an imposing side but such is the 2014 version of the once mighty Brisbane Broncos. Strasser and Nikorima have been the 2 best halves in the 2 matches that I have seen,(not counting that Nines rubbish), Hunt can go back to his original role of which he occasionally had an impact, he is a disgrace to the Bronco colours, horrible player. Nikorima is quick and smart, Hunt wouldn"t even be clever in a removalist"s singlet. Liked what I seen with Jon Green vs NQ, might as well give him a shot, this team is going nowhere anyways. I gave Hannant a token bench spot despite being awful for 2 years now, might as well have Shane Tronc back if you going to have someone fat and slow. Hook's side will differ a bit from this one, but don't get me started on him. Will be an interesting season, double digits in the win column is not reality, will struggle to stay out of the basement. :(
Yuck.

I'm all for it. I was calling for this a long time ago, wanting Hoffman to continually switch throughout a game with Barba between second receiver and fullback, creating doubt in the opposition defence. I noticed Hoffman practising his left foot kick pre game against the warriors, which suggested he was in consideration.

I think Hoffman will surprise a lot of people at five-eighth, as he is more talented than we get to see. Quite frankly he didn't look to bad passing out the back to his fullback. In his brief time in the trials, our attack looked sharper, as we were stringing a few passes together. It certainly looked better than when Nikorima or Strasser played five-eighth alongside Hunt.

The interesting thing is, that Hoffman seems to play differently in whatever position he is playing. At five-eighth, he passed the ball more in that short amount of time, than in his combined time at fullback. I don't know whether that is due to coaching and just the gameplan.

Either way, Hoffman played five-eighth alongside Barba during his whole junior footy days, so they have that familiarity and knack of knowing what the other ones doing. Hoffman did express his desire to play five-eighth after Locky's retirement. I think that could be a real possibility.

If Hoffman plays 5/8 the only 'doubt' that will be created is whether or not the Broncos can even score a damn point this year...

As shown last year, he belongs on the left wing outside Reed. He scored 14 tries there and only 1 or 2 in any other position on the field.

Barba belongs at fullback and for 5/8 we should be going with Nikorima to start with and if he doesn't work out, Kahu when he is available.

This year is already shaping up as yet another 'patch work' year where we have a rubbish coach and a squad that lacks definite starters in many of our key positions. Hopefully that changes next year with Milford and Ben Hunt proves he is up to the job of long term half, because I for one am getting sick and tired of wondering why the richest NRL club in the comp can't find decent players who command their spot, let alone superstars for their damn STARTING team come round 1.

Is there ANY other club in the comp who 10 days out from round 1 are still wondering who their fullback, wingers, right centre, 5/8, their front row and bench players will be?

Talk about a friggin basket case...

For round 1 against the dogs and their massive forward pack, I'd be happy with:

1. Barba.
2. Hoffman.
3. Reed.
4. Copley.
5. Vidot.
6. Nikorima.
7. Hunt.
8. Kennedy.
9. McCullough.
10. Hannant.
11. Glenn.
12. Thaiday.
13. Parker.

14. Granville.
15. McGuire.
16. Gillett.
17. Molo / Hala / Green / Lowrie (whoever is fittest and has had the biggest impact in the trials).

In a few rounds when Hodges and Kahu are looking like coming back into the team there might be a few changes and against some teams we might want a bit more mobile pack, but the Warriors destroyed us with size, power, skill and enthusiasm the other day.

We can immediately address size, power and enthusiasm and can do so to a lesser degree with skill with Barba and Nikorima, so we should.

1. Barba
2. Oates
3. Hoffman
4. Copley
5. Vidot
6. Nikorima
7. Hunt
8. Kennedy
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Molo
15. McGuire
16. Gillett
17. Lowrie

Oates is injured and is still a month away.
Vidot trained with his ISC team last week.

That means if Hoffman is named at fullback OR 5/8 we are dead set going to have Maranta on the wing in round 1, unless he all of a sudden decides to go with Drew. **** me fucking dead I am going to be ropeable if he is named

1. Barba
2. Copley
3. Reed
4. Vidot
5. Mills
6. Hoffman
7. Hunt

Forwards blah pick themselves

14. Nikorima
15. Gillett
16. McGuire
17. Impact prop - give me 10 minutes a half of your most intense effort son.

Oates is injured and is still a month away.
Vidot trained with his ISC team last week.

So stuck with uninspiring Reed and no confidence Maranta... ****

So, according to 1910's post Oates & Vidot are all but ruled out for playing in Round 1.

I'm afraid Maranta & Maranta v2 will be there in round 1 (Mills)

1. Hoffman
2. Mills
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Barba
7. Hunt

My prediction, god we're going to get spanked.

I remember calling Hoffman playing in the halves this season as a joke last year...but now it wouldn't be a surprise if it really does happen.

I agree that Mills and Maranta shouldn't be playing FG right now, so I think we'll be "gimped" if Hoffman doesn't play on the wing or at least in the centres.

So stuck with uninspiring Reed and no confidence Maranta... ****

I didn't say Vidot can't be picked or won't be I just said last week he finished the week with his ISC team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BroncsNBundy
  • Sproj
  • marw
  • kwomo
  • jarro65
  • Culhwch
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.