Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has done it, so I'll add my 2 cents...

I don't know what the solution is for the halves, but whatever we go with, it has to be given some time to gel, because this chopping and changing won't make things better!

1- Barba (has to be there, or we will negate much of his game breaking potential)
2- Hoffman (come on, he's the only top winger we have)
3- Reed (great combo with Hoffy)
4- Copley (has impressed me so far)
5- Vidot (whatever you did, you're forgiven mate!)
6- Nikorima (yeah, a liability in defense, so he'll need to be protected, but he's the only player with Barba that shows any spark of attacking creativity)
7- Hunt (I know... but I do think his creativity is being stiffled by Griffin's no error game plan)
8- Hannant (he needs to rekindle the fire in his belly, besides I want Moose to play big minutes once the initial onslaught is finished)
9- Macca (preferable the nines version of him!)
10- Kennedy (the only guy with real size in our pack needs to be a starter imo)
11- Gillett (he has to be on the left fringe where he seems to be much more comfortable in defense, and can hopefully create a good combo with Hunt and Reed/Hoffman)
12- Thaiday (in form, he is one of the best fringe backrowers in the comp)
13- Parker (I wanted to see the experiment with him as prop, but I didn't like what I saw)

14- Glenn (sorry, but I don't see him as more than a utility in the Berrigan mould. Should be able to give Macca, Thaiday and Gillett a rest)
15- McGuire (put him in there after 20 mins or so and let him carry the side with his energy)
16- Green (I liked what I saw from him, and he should be good enough to provide some relief to the other props)
17- Lowrie (has the size and tackling ability to cover for anyone in the forward pack)

The bench is very much up for discussion, especially when Oates comes back, as I want him in the 17 no matter what. Of course, if guys like Molo, Wallace, Hala, etc... put their hand up, Lowrie, Green and even Glenn's spots will be up for grabs.

Anyway, I just hope that the boys show up for the game at ANZ, otherwise round 1 might be a painful experience!

I seriously don't see how Gillett is any better than Glenn. They are both pretty ordinary at the moment. They need to be running onto the ball at speed, not catching it flat footed and dancing around.

Gillett may not even be in the side in Round 1. Rumours are he is injured, he came off the field early in the trial game.

Last edited:
I would prefer a 31yo Palmer Wapau as our 5/8. He would leave our current halves for dead.

I don't know what the solution is for the halves, but whatever we go with, it has to be given some time to gel, because this chopping and changing won't make things better!

1- Barba (has to be there, or we will negate much of his game breaking potential)
6- Nikorima (yeah, a liability in defense, so he'll need to be protected, but he's the only player with Barba that shows any spark of attacking creativity)
7- Hunt (I know... but I do think his creativity is being stiffled by Griffin's no error game plan)
8- Hannant (he needs to rekindle the fire in his belly, besides I want Moose to play big minutes once the initial onslaught is finished)
11- Gillett (he has to be on the left fringe where he seems to be much more comfortable in defense, and can hopefully create a good combo with Hunt and Reed/Hoffman)
13- Parker (I wanted to see the experiment with him as prop, but I didn't like what I saw)

14- Glenn (sorry, but I don't see him as more than a utility in the Berrigan mould. Should be able to give Macca, Thaiday and Gillett a rest)
15- McGuire (put him in there after 20 mins or so and let him carry the side with his energy)
16- Green (I liked what I saw from him, and he should be good enough to provide some relief to the other props)
17- Lowrie (has the size and tackling ability to cover for anyone in the forward pack)

The bench is very much up for discussion, especially when Oates comes back, as I want him in the 17 no matter what. Of course, if guys like Molo, Wallace, Hala, etc... put their hand up, Lowrie, Green and even Glenn's spots will be up for grabs.

Anyway, I just hope that the boys show up for the game at ANZ, otherwise round 1 might be a painful experience!

I'd tend to agree with all of that except Lowrie. Splitting hairs when I'm worried about #17, I know, but it really shows how much we need a damaging back-rower in our side. The fact that we have 4 80-minute back rowers and 3 50-60 minute props means we can use the bench for some semi-controlled mayhem. In fact, we could even use Josh McGuire in that role, he'd be a beast with his fast feet and aggression on the edges. The last spot can then go to another roughnut prop, whether that's Molo, Hala, even Martins?

Too bad griffin chose gillett over ben teo.

Lowrie is literally our smallest forward, and is also outweighed by the likes of Hodges, Copley, Vidot, Yow Yeh and Reed. I have no clue where everyone is getting the idea that he adds size/aggression/mongrel from. If his name was censored on these forums I probably would assume we'd signed Nigel Plum.

To be honest B4L he kind of loves himself a bit. I have him on instagram and he's always posting videos of himself in the car lip singing human nature, etc. I see a lot of the broncos boys commenting **** like "mate, get this down now" etc etc and vidot just laughs. He's very humble in real life though (from what ive seen) so I don't know why he does **** like that on social media

Yup. And he's involved with that douche wannabe rapper Fortafay (they've got youtube videos going to the gym pumping iron together, over Usher tracks etc) who had all that trouble with Ben Teo and the allegations that were floating around Origin time last year.

That attitude problem. Trouble for sure.

If he was "dual international" Wendell Sailor, people find that kind of lairiness almost endearing (or at least entertaining).

When you can barely crack the Raiders/Dragons/Bronocs first grade, it's just lame.

I'd tend to agree with all of that except Lowrie. Splitting hairs when I'm worried about #17, I know, but it really shows how much we need a damaging back-rower in our side. The fact that we have 4 80-minute back rowers and 3 50-60 minute props means we can use the bench for some semi-controlled mayhem. In fact, we could even use Josh McGuire in that role, he'd be a beast with his fast feet and aggression on the edges. The last spot can then go to another roughnut prop, whether that's Molo, Hala, even Martins?

That's why I believe the Broncos never should've let go of the Sims brothers.

Ashton, maybe. But Tariq is one we definitely should've kept. He can be a hot head at times, but he is an aggressive player and fucking quick on his feet for a forward. He would've been perfect on the edges.

I think Oates could probably be used that way. Get him to bulk up a little bit more and use him on the edges, he is a strong runner.

Last edited:
That's why I believe the Broncos never should've let go of the Sims brothers.

Ashton, maybe. But Tariq is one we definitely should've kept. He can be a hot head at times, but he is an aggressive player and fucking quick on his feet for a forward. He would've been perfect on the edges.

I think Oates could probably be used that way. Get him to bulk up a little bit more and use him on the edges, he is a strong runner.

IMO we wanted to keep him, but he was stuck behind 5 Origin / International back-rowers. You can't keep them all. I'd have Tariq back in a second though.

Lowrie is literally our smallest forward, and is also outweighed by the likes of Hodges, Copley, Vidot, Yow Yeh and Reed. I have no clue where everyone is getting the idea that he adds size/aggression/mongrel from. If his name was censored on these forums I probably would assume we'd signed Nigel Plum.

Not sure where you are getting your info from but at the fan day Lowrie was one of the bigger forwards. Not the biggest but certainly was much taller than our other 2nd rowers. In fact it took me by surprise
If you are going from the Broncos website, they inflate figures for some players

I believe Gillett is the best backrower we have. Yes, better than Glenn or even Thaiday.
He has the size, ability and talent, but he needs to be coached properly. He is imo one of the biggest victims of this rabble we have in the coaching ranks.

Re Lowrie, I didn't realise he was so light weight at 96kgs. He certainly doesn't look it!
He is one of the tallest though...

Armed with the proverbial hindsight, I would've preferred to keep Te'o over Glenn though...

I keep wondering what a really good coaching team would do with the roster we have, despite the lack of halves solutions at the moment, because let's be real... Hasler took the Dogs to the GF with no better roster than us, including Keating and Josh Reynolds in the halves!

Whoever is chosen at 6 has to have the confidence and ability to take the pressure off of Hunt and I think Barba is our only option in that regard. A lot of sides will be able to take Hunt out of the game if they know he is going to be the only point of attack. You partner Hunt with Strasser or Nikorima and the opposition will go after Hunt to put all the pressure to create on the inexperienced guy and the attack will fall apart pretty quick. Defense is likely to be an issue with whoever you put in the halves.

I believe Gillett is the best backrower we have. Yes, better than Glenn or even Thaiday.
He has the size, ability and talent, but he needs to be coached properly. He is imo one of the biggest victims of this rabble we have in the coaching ranks.

Re Lowrie, I didn't realise he was so light weight at 96kgs. He certainly doesn't look it!
He is one of the tallest though...

Armed with the proverbial hindsight, I would've preferred to keep Te'o over Glenn though...

I keep wondering what a really good coaching team would do with the roster we have, despite the lack of halves solutions at the moment, because let's be real... Hasler took the Dogs to the GF with no better roster than us, including Keating and Josh Reynolds in the halves!

The funny thing was, when the discussions were happening, it was all about Teo vs Gillett. Glenn, Thaiday & Parker were must-haves.

Our roster should not be considered a bottom four possibility even with terrible halves, the buck stops with the coaches. Hook has to be less conservative because conservative, grinding footy is fine if you have the team to do it. We don't and will get slaughtered for it. We have a small, mobile pack, time to play like it and not masquerade as a monster pack who talk tout but just can't back it up.

And I will say, that in attack, even as we stand now, having Barba sniffing around the back will only be an improvement. It might take just enough pressure off the halves to let them do their job.

Whoever is chosen at 6 has to have the confidence and ability to take the pressure off of Hunt and I think Barba is our only option in that regard. A lot of sides will be able to take Hunt out of the game if they know he is going to be the only point of attack. You partner Hunt with Strasser or Nikorima and the opposition will go after Hunt to put all the pressure to create on the inexperienced guy and the attack will fall apart pretty quick. Defense is likely to be an issue with whoever you put in the halves.
Yes, but that goes for every inexperienced halve that starts playing FG, and it will keep happening until he starts to gain some game rhythm and confidence and starts taking advantage of the room he gets because the opponent is focussing on Hunt.

If we take that stance, we will never blood a new halve...

The side I want:

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copley/Vidot
5. Vidot/Copley
6. Strasser/M Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Kennedy
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. McGuire
16. Lowrie
17. Molo/Ofahengaue

I wouldn't mind seeing Marmin Barba get a shot in the halves, I thought he did alright in the QLD Cup. It really can't be any worse than the options we have. He may not be that great defensively, but what half is?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• scobie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.