Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
If any other player had gone to Souths under Maguire we'd be saying gee I wish we kept him.

Interchange them, its down to coaching.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
I believe Gillett is the best backrower we have. Yes, better than Glenn or even Thaiday.
He has the size, ability and talent, but he needs to be coached properly. He is imo one of the biggest victims of this rabble we have in the coaching ranks.

Agree with this, excluding Parker, i would say Gillett is the best player we have in our team (Barba could also challenge)
To me, he is our best chance of busting a tackle and creating something. He would be an absolute world beater if he was playing for Storm/Dogs/Easts/Souths/Manly etc

I think if Gillett, Thaiday and Glenn all hit the open market Gilletts manager would be the busiest fielding offers.

Glenn is the big letdown, i used to be such a fan but i wouldnt notice if he wasnt in the side anymore. In hindsight keeping Teo was definately the better option but i don't blame the club for making that call at the time.

I don't know why but i think we are a chance against the Dogs. If they are not on song they too can struggle to find points and i think our best bet is a real ugly spoiling type game, be up in their faces and out niggle Ennis/Reynolds.

I want to see Hannant run with some fucking purpose and lay the initiative for the rest of the side. He needs to be the one to lift the side with some no fear hitups into the meat of the Dogs defence, none of this marshmellow shit like in the trial.

If fatboy Kasiano, lazy Pritchard and dirty Graham realise that tackling our lads is going to be difficult we can get on top of those flat track bully's.

badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
"I would say Gillett is the best player we have in our team"

Over the last two seasons Gillett has the worst defensive record in the league for second rowers (percentage miss tackles / total tackles).

If he is the best player in the team - then Broncos deserve to lose against doggies.

First player to be shown the door - Gillett, Second player - Glenn, Third player - Hoffman.

I would not play them any of them in the first round (see my team list).

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Over the last two seasons Gillett has the worst defensive record in the league for second rowers (percentage miss tackles / total tackles).

If he is the best player in the team - then Broncos deserve to lose against doggies.

First player to be shown the door - Gillett, Second player - Glenn, Third player - Hoffman.

So missed tackle percentages is the way to go to judge players... cool story! :laugh:

Gillett's missed tackled percentage was due to:
- Playing between Prince and Hodges (his stats went up like a rocket once he was moved to the left fringe)
- Rushing out of the line (which is very coachable, although this is also due to how slow the rest of the line was moving up)
- Horrid defense from the team as a whole.

Besides, defending well is the easiest thing to coach. You don't discard a second rower, who is the most talented in your group and probably the fastest as well, because of his missed tackle percentage. That is a coaching issue!

Same thing goes for Glenn, who is another victim of this coaching staff.

And sure, let's get rid of the best tries finisher at the club, it'll really do us a world of good to have Maranta closer to a starting spot on the wing... :rolleyes:

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
Not sure where you are getting your info from but at the fan day Lowrie was one of the bigger forwards. Not the biggest but certainly was much taller than our other 2nd rowers. In fact it took me by surprise
If you are going from the Broncos website, they inflate figures for some players
I was going by weight, not height. Height can be useful, but for a slightly built non-offloading lock it's not as crucial. Weight on the other hand, directly impacts the momentum in your runs. Lowrie is a 96kg lock who averaged 63 metres a game at 6.6 metres per run last year. He may be a little taller, but he's not 'big' in any productive sense. He's just another tackle-bot with a limited running game.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013

You took my quote a little bit out of context. I said excluding Parker (and Hodges is unavailable) but yes, i think the top 4 players in our team are Parker, Hodges, Gillett and Barba. All 4 of these are starters in any of my Broncos sides all year if fit.

I think it would be a mistake for the club to get rid of Gillett, i'd rather wave goodbye to Glenn and Thaiday first.

Admittedly i probably see Gillett like some people on here see Mccullough so their is some fanboy bias. when i think of Gillett i picture that fend/shrug he has to tear a tackler off him, when i think of Glenn it is him submitting in a tackle or dropping the ball and Thaiday it is running into and being tackled by the markers.

Getting back to the game, some agression and desire could get us over the line against the Dogs. Get ugly against those fuckers. If we just play Griffin percentage footy while trying not to upset anyone all our weaknesses will shine through.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I was going by weight, not height. Height can be useful, but for a slightly built non-offloading lock it's not as crucial. Weight on the other hand, directly impacts the momentum in your runs. Lowrie is a 96kg lock who averaged 63 metres a game at 6.6 metres per run last year. He may be a little taller, but he's not 'big' in any productive sense. He's just another tackle-bot with a limited running game.
6.6 mtrs per run is not that bad, is it?
I don't have access to player stats at the moment, but I doubt anyone but Parker has better stats at the Broncs...

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yes, but that goes for every inexperienced halve that starts playing FG, and it will keep happening until he starts to gain some game rhythm and confidence and starts taking advantage of the room he gets because the opponent is focussing on Hunt.

If we take that stance, we will never blood a new halve...
You don't want to throw them to the wolves either and with a far from established HB in Hunt that's what we would be doing imo.

I think puff pieces in the paper lead some fans to expect more from the two of them than what they are actually capable of atm.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
You don't want to throw them to the wolves either and with a far from established HB in Hunt that's what we would be doing imo.

I think puff pieces in the paper lead some fans to expect more from the two of them than what they are actually capable of atm.
I'm not guided by the media pieces, only by what I see.

My expectations level as far as the halves are concerned is really low at the moment. But I think there is some potential there, and I would let them gain that experience, as I don't believe we can look at this year other than a rebuilding year and bridge to 2015, where we should benefit from the gained routines and hopefully will have another game breaker in Milford.

Besides, I really don't want to weaken the team even more by moving Barba up to the line and Hoffman to custodian.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
When i think of Gillett i get dizzy because of all the running around in circles instead of running straight. His should be a simple fix and by himself without help from the coaches

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Remember when there was a Lockyer feeding him the ball while he was running at full pelt?

Compare that with today. He gets the ball with a wall in front of him and he's obviously trying too hard to create something out of nothing.

Look, as much as I am a fan of Gillett, I'm not saying he doesn't need to correct aspects of his game, but I am a firm believer that he is much more a victim than a culprit of the current situation!

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I really don't care any more which one out of Strasser, Nikorima, B.Barba, Hoffman or M.Barba plays five-eighth, as long as we name someone quick. We need to give them enough time before round 1 to work on combinations. I feel we should have picked and sticked with a halves pairing for the Warrior trial.

Realistically their are only two likely possibilities. Most of us fans want either Nikorima or Strasser. Both are talented and good enough to do a good job as long as they are given enough time to be ready. Keeping the team in doubt about crucial positions doesn't exactly help the teams confidence about the year ahead.

Someone should be picked and given faith that they're the right the man for the job. That sort of confidence can do a world of good for a young play maker.

If were looking for a composed five-eighth who who is constantly backing up his players through support play, but can also run the plays effectively, either with a short flat ball, a cut out pass or a deep pass out the back for his sweeping fullback, then Strassers our man. He would do well with a simple, yet effective gameplan.

However if were looking for some individual brilliance, who can also do the things mentioned above, but also add some much needed spark or x-factor to our attack, than Nikorima is our man. Players with attacking flair, such as Marshall and SJ tend to be guilty of going missing throughout games. Lets hope its not the same for Kodi.

An interesting thing is that Nikorima had so much wraps on him as a youngster, that he was considered the superior player over Milford. Hence the Broncos chose to keep Kodi in their system ahead of Milford, who was then let go. That is similar to Taumalolo being considered better than Papalii by most talent scouts etc, but has yet to deliver.

Maybe Nikorima is better than Milford. Lets just hope if he is chosen, he can deliver and show us his attacking talent.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
He looks like a mong because he's getting the ball standing still (like everyone else in the team) with the defence already in his face.

Put him in a team where they play deep and put people through holes and he'd be destroying again.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
6.6 mtrs per run is not that bad, is it?
I don't have access to player stats at the moment, but I doubt anyone but Parker has better stats at the Broncs...
6.6 metres per run is actually abysmal.

2013:

Parker - 7.9mpr
Thaiday - 7.6mpr
Glenn - 8.8mpr
Gillett - 7.5mpr
Stagg - 7.5mpr
McGuire - 8.6mpr
Hannant - 8.1mpr
Dodds - 8.6mpr
Hala - 8.3mpr

As you can see, all our forwards are clumped relatively close together in this stat, and Lowrie lags way behind.

2013 Warriors Season Review And Ratings | NZ Warriors.com | NZ Rugby League Supporters
Lowrie Released! | NZ Warriors.com | NZ Rugby League Supporters

^ A couple of threads if anybody's curious about how Warriors fans thought about Lowrie.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I'm curious to see his stats at Storm. I thought Warriors were not using him the right way, and Storm were.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
An interesting thing is that Nikorima had so much wraps on him as a youngster, that he was considered the superior player over Milford. Hence the Broncos chose to keep Kodi in their system ahead of Milford, who was then let go. That is similar to Taumalolo being considered better than Papalii by most talent scouts etc, but has yet to deliver.

Maybe Nikorima is better than Milford. Lets just hope if he is chosen, he can deliver and show us his attacking talent.
Milford was never in the Broncos system to 'let go'.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
If I see Marmin Barba's name even mentioned again for the Five-Eighth role I'm gonna neck myself, from all reports in the trials he's been absolutely atrocious.

Nikorima, Strasser, B.Barba, Hoffman are all better options. (If we were to give a kid a run based on trial form, it'd have to be Cameron Cullen, he's been playing well)

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
6.6 metres per run is actually abysmal.

2013:

Parker - 7.9mpr
Thaiday - 7.6mpr
Glenn - 8.8mpr
Gillett - 7.5mpr
Stagg - 7.5mpr
McGuire - 8.6mpr
Hannant - 8.1mpr
Dodds - 8.6mpr
Hala - 8.3mpr

As you can see, all our forwards are clumped relatively close together in this stat, and Lowrie lags way behind.

2013 Warriors Season Review And Ratings | NZ Warriors.com | NZ Rugby League Supporters
Lowrie Released! | NZ Warriors.com | NZ Rugby League Supporters

^ A couple of threads if anybody's curious about how Warriors fans thought about Lowrie.
Where do you get these stats from mate?

I have trouble believing all our forwards averaged close to 8 mtrs per run!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • peter09
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Spike
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Midean
  • Alec
  • Bronco bob
  • Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
  • Galah
  • broncos4life
  • Old Mate
  • Morkel
  • Santa
  • Rambstien
  • Battler
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.