Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
Chris Garry @chrisgarry1 5m
Ben Barba and Josh Hoffman will play 5/8 for the Broncos, interchanging during games this season

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
Hahaaa, its also quite concerning how many people want Barba at five-eighth

It's not really surprising (and it's still lower than 50%). If we signed *Billy Slater for 2014 effective immediately Barba would probably get 90% of the vote in the same poll. I don't blame people for not wanting to move Barba from his best position, but conversely can you really blame 37% of people for wanting to play their best five-eighth option at five-eighth?

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
but conversely can you really blame 37% of people for wanting to play their best five-eighth option at five-eighth?

but barbas best position is fullback, not five-eighth.

if we signed cameron smith he would be our best option at five-eighth - but you wouldnt go putting him there.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
This is what I expect the team to be.

1. Hoffman
2. Mills
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Thaiday

14. Granville
15. Hannant
16. Kennedy
17. Lowrie

$20 that's the side for Round 1.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
This is what I expect the team to be.

1. Hoffman
2. Mills
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Thaiday

14. Granville
15. Hannant
16. Kennedy
17. Lowrie

$20 that's the side for Round 1.

Mate, I reckon you're pretty close. I certainly wouldn't take that bet.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Super Freak, you're mean! You're making me cry...

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
That side looks just retarded enough to actually be it. I won't throw away my money.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
but barbas best position is fullback, not five-eighth.

if we signed cameron smith he would be our best option at five-eighth - but you wouldnt go putting him there.

I said Barba's best position is fullback. I also think Barba is our best five-eighth. My point was basically that I don't think it's right to act as if playing Barba at five-eighth is totally ludicrous, when with the options we have right now he is probably the best five-eighth we have on our books, arguably by some margin.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I think Barba's ball playing is pretty limited, it's just that he can use his speed and agility to get on the outside of defenders and create 3 on 2s or 2 on 1s. That's kinda going to disappear if he plays in the halves, unless he just plays as a second fullback.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Fucking hell if maranta gets a run ill be fuming. We were all so confident we had seen the last of him with these new signings. fucking griffin.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
****ing hell if maranta gets a run ill be fuming. We were all so confident we had seen the last of him with these new signings. ****ing griffin.

mate its a certainty. absolutely gaurentee that maranta will be on our wing in rnd 1

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The issue longterm is both Milford and Barba are probably better at fullback. One of them has to be in the halves so why not get Barba in there now and let him be the guy. He is bigger than Milford after all. It's not ideal but it's probably our best option long term.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
in all honestly im coming around to the idea (as the only real option we have), as long as barba stays at the back defensively.

hoffmans going to defend in the line better than nikorima.

the sticking point is that hoffman cant do a sweep play or similar to save his life. but i guess barba is probably the most talented player on the park so his hands on the ball are going to be key. and as beads, said, barba or milford are going to have to do it next year.

what they will need to focus on is getting parker and thaiday on the edges popping balls out the back to create a bit of space for him to work in

but if they go naming parker at prop then ffs....

Last edited:
B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I feel for Maranta. He's not even a winger! He's just forced to play there. No wonder his down on confidence. It's reflected by his poor performances.

He has never looked comfortable on the wing. I'll even go as far as to say that at the end of last year when he played fullback, he looked better in his brief stint at the back, than he did his whole year on the wing.

I reckon he feels the same way we do every time Hook picks him on the wing. He probably even reacts the same way. :laugh:

Last edited:
Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Chris Garry @chrisgarry1 5m
Ben Barba and Josh Hoffman will play 5/8 for the Broncos, interchanging during games this season

Bloody hell I can't stand players playing out of position it didn't work for us last year and under Griffin I've got little confidence with it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.