PRE-GAME Round 1 - Dragons vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Courier Mail, this will be the team for round 1 ...

BRONCOS ROUND 1 TEAM
1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. Jordan Kahu
4. James Roberts
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matt Lodge
9. Sam Thaiday
10. Tevita Pangai Jr
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire
BENCH
14. Andrew McCullough
15. Korbin Sims
16. Joe Ofanhengaue
17. Jaydn Su’A

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...a/news-story/b9f60e95227562d9af7a1e5e77314ced
If this is the team it shows how much the media knows...

And if it isn't the team, it shows how much the media knows...

"Hey Phil, did you want to pick names out of a hat this week or hit the rumour piñata?"

I imagine if this is going to be the team, then it's only going to be the team for a few weeks until we get all of the players back.

Oates will move to the bench to play in the fowards, Kahu back to wing and Jamayne to left wing, Thaiday back to prop, TPJ back to bench, Macca back at hooker.

With the exception of Su'A on the bench ... we discussed all of those possibilities as one time or another during the off season ...

I can't recall anyone expecting TPJ at prop.. Except for Kyall.

My initial thoughts before the trials would have been Kahu at center, but i'd be surprised now if we didnt pick Opacic there after playing him in the trial games. also think Sua has done enough for a bench spot.

With the exception of Su'A on the bench ... we discussed all of those possibilities as one time or another during the off season ...

Discussing possibilities =/= expecting

:P

So close to this game, just can't wait :biggrin:

I don’t know why but again these articles drive me crazy how it’s all written as if gospel and Wayne has handed the team sheet to the nrl and it’s set in stone. Deadset last week Todd Murphy “will make his debut for the broncos come round one” this week sunrise surprise no sign of him.

I mean ffs even the headline “Brisbane Broncos reveals the starting team for clash with St George Illawarra” is a blatant lie, nothing will be revealed until Tuesday. At least State that this is all speculation based on how they lined up at today’s “secret” (even though every man and his dog were there) training run. This shit sends me crazy

Oh right, there's a game on this week. Hooraaaaaay!!!

I don’t know why but again these articles drive me crazy how it’s all written as if gospel and Wayne has handed the team sheet to the nrl and it’s set in stone. Deadset last week Todd Murphy “will make his debut for the broncos come round one” this week sunrise surprise no sign of him.

I mean ffs even the headline “Brisbane Broncos reveals the starting team for clash with St George Illawarra” is a blatant lie, nothing will be revealed until Tuesday. At least State that this is all speculation based on how they lined up at today’s “secret” (even though every man and his dog were there) training run. This shit sends me crazy

Even the side Bennett has to name on Tuesday means squat, it's just a squad of possible players for the 17, so much can change between then and kick off.

Pangai and Lodge would have to be the biggest starting prop combo in the league: both are 120+. Their ball playing will be huge as well.

Pangai and Lodge would have to be the biggest starting prop combo in the league: both are 120+. Their ball playing will be huge as well.
Can't wait to see them (hopefully) lasso old Tamalooloooo.

TPJ is 113kg according to the broncos website

This is a bit complicated, but hear me out. Oates starting on the wing is all wrong. Not because he won't potentially start on the wing, but because of the bench - there is no cover for him to move to the forwards at a later stage of the game. Unless of course Glenn shifts to centre and Kahu moves to wing - which is extremely unlikely. So the way that team's named, Oates would have to see out the game on the wing. That would indicate that the Oates to the forwards experiment is over, Bennett has said that if he wants to be in the side it's on the wing, and Oates has accepted that. For mine, it's extremely premature for that trigger to have been pulled, and I would think that unless Oates was a complete write-off in his trials in the back-row (he wasn't), Bennett would at least give Oates time in Q-Cup to get more experience in that role.

This is a bit complicated, but hear me out. Oates starting on the wing is all wrong. Not because he won't potentially start on the wing, but because of the bench - there is no cover for him to move to the forwards at a later stage of the game. Unless of course Glenn shifts to centre and Kahu moves to wing - which is extremely unlikely. So the way that team's named, Oates would have to see out the game on the wing. That would indicate that the Oates to the forwards experiment is over, Bennett has said that if he wants to be in the side it's on the wing, and Oates has accepted that. For mine, it's extremely premature for that trigger to have been pulled, and I would think that unless Oates was a complete write-off in his trials in the back-row (he wasn't), Bennett would at least give Oates time in Q-Cup to get more experience in that role.

I think it's just for the time being until Bird is back and Macca is back to full fitness.

I think it's just for the time being until Bird is back and Macca is back to full fitness.

If that's the case, throw Opacic at left centre. It makes it a far easier swap-in, swap-out situation. With our key players not having much of an off-season, the team is going to have to use game time to build combinations. That can't happen while you're swapping players all over the park during the course of a game.

If that's the case, throw Opacic at left centre. It makes it a far easier swap-in, swap-out situation. With our key players not having much of an off-season, the team is going to have to use game time to build combinations. That can't happen while you're swapping players all over the park during the course of a game.

Maybe it's just a case of Bennett wanting Oates on the wing this season instead of in the backrow.

possibly gave him the trials in the backrow for two reasons ... to evaluate him in the position and to evaluate possible replacements for him on the wings.

it is certainly possible that the outcome of the "evaluations" was that it best served the team for Oates to stay on the wing this season, instead of moving to the bench.

Exactly! I for one am not in favour of copying melbourne but one thing they do rings true: and thats letting players train, build combinations, play in one role as much as possible. Sure you have your utilities that slip into halves, but centres should be training as centres and wingers as wingers. What was the point of not playing kahu in one trial, at any time, in the centres, then playing him (without testing his defence) there in round 1.
If one thing is true, its that defence wins matches. The greatest attacking back line in the competition is useless if it cannot defend. Now I'm not saying kahu can't, but why not confirm that given match conditions he trusts his body and can. In 3 games he never played a minute in the centres. Tevita Pangui Junior will be starting prop for the first time against top 8 contenders whilst sims, a proven defender sits on the bench. Tevita is great fresh. How will be playing 20 minutes at prop? He might be great but why hasn't he done it in a trial?
Players playing in roles defined by their abilities can be constricting during a whole season, but we're talking about a game, the players have been building for months for. Surely, you use those months and then the trials to be your best in the position your starting in?
I hope for common sense, that team is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Locky24
  • Griffo
  • BroncoFan94
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Lazza
  • Skyblues87
  • lynx000
  • Hoof Hearted
  • pennywisealfie
  • Elcapitano20
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • UP DA BRIZZY BRONX
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Scorchie
  • barker
  • Culhwch
  • Xzei
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.