PRE-GAME Round 1 - Dragons vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't recall anyone expecting TPJ at prop.. Except for Kyall.
Not in the first round, but I said it'd happen by the end of the year.

I now officially have a better strike rate then news corp journalists.1/372

The more that beast is on the field the better.

Yeah except if he starts we won’t see him again till last 20. Unless he has added a sh**ton of fitness in offseason first 15-20 will spend him. Let him come on for impact at 25 minutes. How will Lodge go in first NRL game with his motor too? As useless as Sims has been in attack like him to hold together the middle in first few games of season until we know we can trust TPJ and Lodge combo to stay switched on in defence.

Not unless he has significantly improved his fitness ...

If it is still as poor as it was last year, he will be a liability for periods of the match, rather than an asset

How long until Bird is back?

This is a bit complicated, but hear me out. Oates starting on the wing is all wrong. Not because he won't potentially start on the wing, but because of the bench - there is no cover for him to move to the forwards at a later stage of the game. Unless of course Glenn shifts to centre and Kahu moves to wing - which is extremely unlikely. So the way that team's named, Oates would have to see out the game on the wing. That would indicate that the Oates to the forwards experiment is over, Bennett has said that if he wants to be in the side it's on the wing, and Oates has accepted that. For mine, it's extremely premature for that trigger to have been pulled, and I would think that unless Oates was a complete write-off in his trials in the back-row (he wasn't), Bennett would at least give Oates time in Q-Cup to get more experience in that role.
This would of course mean the courier fail has managed to pick the names out of the hat correctly

This would of course mean the courier fail has managed to pick the names out of the hat correctly
They leaked the Round 1 side early last year as well and everybody scoffed at Moga's inclusion but it turned out to be spot on. I'd say that this will be the makeup of the squad for Thursday.

This is a bit complicated, but hear me out. Oates starting on the wing is all wrong. Not because he won't potentially start on the wing, but because of the bench - there is no cover for him to move to the forwards at a later stage of the game. Unless of course Glenn shifts to centre and Kahu moves to wing - which is extremely unlikely. So the way that team's named, Oates would have to see out the game on the wing. That would indicate that the Oates to the forwards experiment is over, Bennett has said that if he wants to be in the side it's on the wing, and Oates has accepted that. For mine, it's extremely premature for that trigger to have been pulled, and I would think that unless Oates was a complete write-off in his trials in the back-row (he wasn't), Bennett would at least give Oates time in Q-Cup to get more experience in that role.

Sua to center?

According to the Courier Mail, this will be the team for round 1 ...

BRONCOS ROUND 1 TEAM
1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. Jordan Kahu
4. James Roberts
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matt Lodge
9. Sam Thaiday
10. Tevita Pangai Jr
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire
BENCH
14. Andrew McCullough
15. Korbin Sims
16. Joe Ofanhengaue
17. Jaydn Su’A

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...a/news-story/b9f60e95227562d9af7a1e5e77314ced
I think you will find that by round 4 / 5 (when Bird Returns) the team will be a lot closer to what we initially expected with a lineup something like this.

1. Boyd
2. Isaako
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. Kahu (broncos do their centre numbers opposite to most teams I think, so Kahu is outside roberts)
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Sims
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. McGuire
BENCH: Thaiday, Oates, TPJ, Offa

The team we have for round 1 is because macca hasn't played so starting doesn't make sense, and having 2 people in background without much experience isn't ideal in the opening rounds. Once bird is back for his centre position, I do think Oates will move to the bench and be our utility option covering injuries in the back, otherwise providing Glenn a break. The reason for Sims being on the bench is to have some more experience on the bench with thaiday starting. But once thaiday is on the bench, I believe Sims will start as TPJ offers more impact I think.

You're logic here is pretty flawed. If we were full strength and this was the team, then sure. But we have Macca coming back from injury, thus being on the bench, and Bird out who will no doubt be our left centre. Come round 4/5 Oates will be on the bench as a second rower / utility who can sub in as centre/wing if any injuries to the backline. I feel this year we will very rarely, if ever run with a small utility. We have Jack Bird who has the ability to play any position in the back 6, as well as second row, lock and hooker if required. Oates will be our perfect "utility" as he showed promise in the forwards in the trials, and is obviously a more than capable wing replacement.

EG. Boyd gets injured, isaako moves to fullback oates comes on to wing.
EG2. Roberts gets injured, kahu moves to centre and oates comes on to wing.
EG3. Milford gets injured, Bird moves to 6, Kahu moves to centre, Oates comes on wing.

A lot of people have bawked at Birds price for being a centre. But he is a great player, and the amount of versatility he provides is huge if we have any injuries mid game.

I'm almost thinking that bird could be used as the utility this year... hear me out.

- He's missed the entire preseason
- Can cover every position bar prop
- We've already locked him up for 4 years I.e. It's a sunk cost so who cares where the **** he plays
- Would allow us to use the season to bulk him and convert him into a forward
- Under normal conditions (I.e no injuries) he could come on and play as a roving ball player

Should opa (who we're expecting to get left centre) play well enough in the first month, then Bird takes a spot on the bench as a roving forward able to defend and play make from anywhere across the field. He'd be a utility on face but could be incorporated as a 2nd rower or second five eighth/fullback and able to defend wherever.... could even move opa to defend on the edge (he's got the build) and Bird defend in the centres for the early part until he bulks up

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised although I don't like the idea that Oates will start wing but isaako/Pearson/opacic will be on the bench and depending how we are going decides how Bennett uses Oates

I'm almost thinking that bird could be used as the utility this year... hear me out.

- He's missed the entire preseason
- Can cover every position bar prop
- We've already locked him up for 4 years I.e. It's a sunk cost so who cares where the **** he plays
- Would allow us to use the season to bulk him and convert him into a forward
- Under normal conditions (I.e no injuries) he could come on and play as a roving ball player

Should opa (who we're expecting to get left centre) play well enough in the first month, then Bird takes a spot on the bench as a roving forward able to defend and play make from anywhere across the field. He'd be a utility on face but could be incorporated as a 2nd rower or second five eighth/fullback and able to defend wherever.... could even move opa to defend on the edge (he's got the build) and Bird defend in the centres for the early part until he bulks up

I think it's next to no chance considering the money he is on, but this is well thought out.

I think it's next to no chance considering the money he is on, but this is well thought out.
Yeah I know haha... the media would have a field day and Bird would be questioning his agent as to why his pay packet isn't reflecting the $3.5m advertised in papers.

He may play utility for a couple weeks to get up to speed (he will have been out of the game for a looooong time at that point) and you could then see if he can handle second row. If not then chuck him in centre.

It just seems a waste of a season. I doubt they bought him for that cost to play centre but have almost been left with it because of surgery. He doesn't have a combination with the players around him to warrant coming back for combinations sack.

Wayne doesn't care that much for the media so maybe he could just laugh them off. He could be a game changer off the bench he did start in the same fashion for the sharks and was a revelation before moving to 6 (or did he start at 6 on debut??)

I think it's a great idea but won't happen. Bennett wouldn't worry about what the media says but bird would cop it in the media and it'd be more about how he'd cope with it. If the coaching staff can turn it to a mental psych up then it's possible but I bird gets effected by the media judging by the past year..

You're logic here is pretty flawed. If we were full strength and this was the team, then sure. But we have Macca coming back from injury, thus being on the bench, and Bird out who will no doubt be our left centre. Come round 4/5 Oates will be on the bench as a second rower / utility who can sub in as centre/wing if any injuries to the backline. I feel this year we will very rarely, if ever run with a small utility. We have Jack Bird who has the ability to play any position in the back 6, as well as second row, lock and hooker if required. Oates will be our perfect "utility" as he showed promise in the forwards in the trials, and is obviously a more than capable wing replacement.

EG. Boyd gets injured, isaako moves to fullback oates comes on to wing.
EG2. Roberts gets injured, kahu moves to centre and oates comes on to wing.
EG3. Milford gets injured, Bird moves to 6, Kahu moves to centre, Oates comes on wing.

A lot of people have bawked at Birds price for being a centre. But he is a great player, and the amount of versatility he provides is huge if we have any injuries mid game.
I've always thought @Morkel was logic as well.

I've always thought @Morkel was logic as well.

There’s always more than one way to skin a cat. @Morepudding makes some good points and it just comes down to each person’s intuition/hunches/guesswork on the finer details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Scorchie
  • pennywisealfie
  • barker
  • Culhwch
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrMoore
  • Fitzy
  • broncoscope
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncsgoat
  • scobie
  • theshed
  • YeahNahMate
  • Spoon
  • Skyblues87
  • Dash
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.