Round 1 lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't sound like De Vere is a definite yet - "Jharal and Antonio are in the picture and they have gone really well. I'm confident they can handle it. Alex is certainly in the mix for the centre spot but so is Mick De Vere." "It all depends on how Steve is," Henjak said.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html

VOTE 1 ALEX GLENN

I WOULD GO FOR:

1. HUNT
2. MICHELS OR WINTERSTEIN (IF MICHAELS OUT)
3. DEVERE
4. FOLOU
5. YOW YEH
6. LOCKYER
7. WALLACE
8. KENNY
9. GORRELL
10. CLINTON
11. THAIDAY
12. PARKER
13. SETU

14. TAYLOR
15. TEO
16. MCCULLOCH
17. GLENN

Ok here is my revised revised team of my revised team

1. Hunt/Beale
2. Winterstein/Yow Yeh
3. Folau
4. Glenn
5. De Vere
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Kenny
9. Gorrell
10. Thaiday
11. Parker
12. Te'o
13. Setu

14. Clinton
15. Sims
16. Sweeney/Taylor
17. McCullough

A bit different I realise but I have my theories.
Thaiday in the front row would keep it a bit more solid IMO. See how Clinton goes off the bench and if he does well then shift him there for week 2, with Thaiday moving to the back row.
Setu I hope can provide good protection for Lockyer, hitting hard but stepping in with good ball playing when it counts.
If Hunt isn't ready then Beale is probably our only options for Fullback (correct me if I'm wrong). He's apparently done alright in the trials, lets hope thats enough for him to give the NRL a crack.
I chose Glenn in the centers as I reckon it will boost our defence on his wing. Again, despite his lack of experience I'm hoping his promising displays in the NYC, Q Cup and trials show he is ready to step up to the plate for the Broncos. Same goes for the right wing with Winterstein/Yow Yeh, good performances in lower comps are all we can base our optimism for them on, but hopefully they do well.
I dunno about Taylor or Sweeny, from reports from the trials Taylor is still not up to scratch. Assuming that is still the case then Sweeny should be given the nod ahead of him IMO.

1. K Hunt
2. Yow Yeh
3. Glenn
4. Folau
5. Beale/winterstein
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Kenny
9. Gorrell
10. Clinton
11. Parker
12. Thaiday
13. Setu

14. Te'o
15. Sims
16. McCullough
17. Taylor

Why bother with Devere honestly he wasn't even good all he can do is take staples to the head woopdiefrickeendoo

Either you're really stubborn, or you're really stupid. For your sake, I hope it's the former.

Agree with everything Rock said. We need someone with experience in the backline. I think blooding three new kids in a starting backline is a risk that I don't believe is necessary. Give De Vere first shot, if he has a shocker and it seems we have no other choice, swap it for round 2.

That said, De Vere is under an injury cloud anyway, and may not even be available for round 1.

your annoying the hell out of me beads with all the devere hate

I don't hate DeVere I have never even met the bloke... My gripe with selecting DeVere is purely a one step forward 2 steps back theory.. In round 1 it doesn't matter if the young guys don't perform perfectly the fact that they get picked will give thme experience..

Here's my new team. I've decided that McCullough is needed on the bench, so he is now in my team.

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Gerard Beale
3. Mick De Vere
4. Isreal Folau
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Nick Kenny
9. Aaron Gorrell
10. Joel Clinton
11. Corey Parker
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Lagi Setu

14. Andrew McCullough
15. Ashton Sims
16. Ben Te'o
17. Aaron Sweeney

If Hunt isn't fit for round 1 i'd put Beale at fullback and bring in Winterstein to play on the wing.

I'm giving Clinton a starting berth because he played solidly in the trials, and I really expect him to stand up this year and regain his 2003 form.

I think Setu can play a Carroll type of role from lock this year. Protecting Lockyer in defence and playing that one-off running game that Carroll perfected.

Sims deserves a bench spot, and his ability to play both front row and back row will work to our advantage. McCullough deserves a spot for the variation he will bring off the bench late in the halves, and Te'o has shown great form and be our main impact player off the bench.

I've given Sweeney the nod ahead of Taylor for round one purely on trial form, and Sweeney's success in the QLD cup last year. He was constantly bending the line from his runs in the trials, and I expect him to do the same in the NRL. I think our pack is lacking that one big, aggressive forward and I think Sweeney will rectify that.

So why wasn't devere selected? Injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • theshed
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.