Round 1 lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rock said:
Beads6 said:
I still reckon De Vere will be an almighty FAIL.

LOL ok.

When has De Vere EVER been an almighty fail?

That was a pretty stupid and out there comment dude.

He is coming back from retirement and hasn't played in the big time for 2 years he will get out classed by younger and faster players.. You can tell me how he is only 3 months older than Lockyer but De Vere will never be anything but a freckle on the Great Lockyers A$$

I didn't think the comment was that out there considering it could go either way so it is a 50/50 bet really..

Well it's not like we're expecting De Vere to come back and blow us all away, he will likely be solid at best. But he is good cover so it's not a bad thing having him back really. Just as long as he doesn't stand in the way of young players breaking into the game

Scotty said:
Well it's not like we're expecting De Vere to come back and blow us all away, he will likely be solid at best. But he is good cover so it's not a bad thing having him back really. Just as long as he doesn't stand in the way of young players breaking into the game

That is the only problem I have with De Vere coming back.. He will be selected for what he has done rather than what he can and will do this season. The young guys deserve first crack IMO but I doubt that will happen. Put yourself in Beale or Hoffmans shoes.

Who were all these players that were "playing like crap week in week out" last year to drop and allow the likes of Moon, DT (who was playing like crap), etc????

Name the positions and their possible replacements?

NRL

daylight

QRL

daylight

daylight

TYC.

Go to any youth carnival around QLD; The Stingers 8-), Mustangs, Capras all have an abundance of talent and you would think half these kids will be the next big thing. Until the reality of elite-ness hits home.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think is a realistic percentage for TYC players who will go on to play NRL?

30%?

Darren Smith was twice the player De Vere was I just don't think he is as good as some would think. If he does happen to go well and get a spot in the side good luck to him. I would just prefer the Broncos to look to the future instead of going backwards all the time..

Beads6 said:
Scotty said:

That is the only problem I have with De Vere coming back.. He will be selected for what he has done rather than what he can and will do this season. The young guys deserve first crack IMO but I doubt that will happen. Put yourself in Beale or Hoffmans shoes.

We'll all be in Hoffman's shoes. He'll be sitting in the stands like the rest of us. He is likely to miss half the season after shoulder surgery

just a side note has any1 been to any training sessions to see what backs are getting a fair bit of time in game practices, and what position?

I'm a bit late to the party, but here's who I'd pick in Round One.

01. Hunt
02. Yow Yeh
03. Michaels
04. Folau
05. de Vere
06. Lockyer
07. Wallace
08. Clinton
09. Gorrell
10. Kenny
11. Parker
12. Thaiday
13. Setu

14. McCullough
15. Taylor
16. Sims
17. Te'o (although he needs to show a heap of improvement based on last year. Also, hoping PJ can regain form but I'm not holding my breath.)

I don't know how much you can read in to it, but the Courier Mail have thrown Under 20's Skipper Alex Glenn name as a chance to make the Round 1 Team.
Not a bad idea either because he can play in both the forwards and backs

BroncoMatt said:
I don't know how much you can read in to it, but the Courier Mail have thrown Under 20's Skipper Alex Glenn name as a chance to make the Round 1 Team.
Not a bad idea either because he can play in both the forwards and backs

I'd back that as being a pretty decent idea. Back row or centres, good defence and IMO he wouldn't struggle too much in the top grade. Can't see him setting the world on fire until he gets a longer go, but he wouldn't let us down one bit.

The fact that he had a full year in the QLD Cup before playing Under 20's will help his cause too

Undoubtedly. He seems to me to be the sort of player who makes good decisions on the field - he doesn't make stupid, silly errors and is a pretty mature footballer. Has mixed it with the big boys already in the Q-Cup, as you said, and IMO as long as he just relaxes and does his job as best he can, he'd be great for us. He's probably one of only a few of our u20's boys from last year who could make it and do a good job in the NRL early this year - along with McCullough and Hoffman. Jury is still out with Yow Yeh, but I'd like to see him given a shot regardless.

Sounds like a plan.. Glenn to play in the centres until Hodges comes back.

Just got the internet back (only used my phone to have a go at Scotty, I just couldn't resist [icon_razz1 ), so bit late, but love these threads so here we go!

1. Hunt
2. Michaels
3. De Vere
4. Folau
5. Hewitt
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Clinton
9. Marsh
10. Kenny
11. Thaiday
12. Sims
13. Te'o
--------------------------
14. Setu
15. Taylor
16. Parker
17. Gorrell

Gone for a bit of a change up in the forwards and giving Sims a chance first up. I am basing that on his first 4 or 5 rounds of 2008 where he started the game and was one of our best over that period of the season. I reckon he'd be better served being there from the start rather than trying to provide some impact off the bench. I've benched Parker because I think that is his best position, despite his ability to go 80 minutes. His bench form in 2006 = outstanding.

Would like to see Tom Hewitt given a chance on the wing. He showed plenty of promise at St George, bugger injuries!! I think he could be a very good try scorer, not unlike Denan Kemp.

Bought PJ Marsh back and started him for some early sting in defence, maybe give him 20 or 30 minutes then bring Gorrell on for a bit of a run against tired forwards.

Taylor is there at the moment but I am happy to throw him back to the Q-Cup if he repeats his 2008 form.

Bring it on!!! 37 days to go, too bloody long!!

Jebadude said:
1. Hunt
2. Michaels
3. De Vere
4. Folau
5. Hewitt
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Clinton
9. Marsh
10. Kenny
11. Thaiday
12. Sims
13. Te'o
--------------------------
14. Setu
15. Taylor
16. Parker
17. Gorrell

That's a Bennett-esque side in my opinion (not entirely a bad thing, depending on who you ask!!), so you're probably on the money.

I am very interested to see how solid Devere is still. If he is rock solid in Defence and under the high ball he could be exactly what our flashy backline needs. My fear is he will be past it but will be good during Origin depth testing time.

Hewitt has the NRL experience which is a plus and we didn't get to see him last year. Who knows, he might have been able to keep Kemp out of the side if he had had a start.

Ok, because I'm still wide awake, I'm readjusting my line up considering injuries and the Redcliffe trial..

01. Hunt
02. Beale
03. de Vere
04. Folau
05. Yow Yeh
06. Lockyer
07. Wallace
08. Kenny
09. Gorrell
10. Clinton
11. Thaiday
12. Setu
13. Parker

14. McCullough
15. Sweeney
16. Te'o / Sims / Taylor
17. Glenn

I like your lineup ethos.
Mine would only be slightly different:

01. Hunt
02. Beale
03. Devere
04. Folau
05. Yow Yeh
06. Lockyer
07. Wallace
08. Kenny
09. Gorrell
10. Clinton
11. Thaiday
12. Te'o
13. Parker

14. Setu
15. Sweeney
16. Taylor
17. McCullough/Glenn

Although we know that won't happen, because Sims will be picked, so Sims will probably come in for Sweeney or Taylor.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Winterstein grab a wing spot. My side would look something like this come round one.

1. Hunt
2. Winterstein
3. De Vere
4. Folau
5. Yow Yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Clinton
9. Gorrell
10. Kenny
11. Parker
12. Thaiday
13. Setu

14. Te'o
15. Sims
16. Taylor/Glenn
17. Sweeney

I don't think we really need two hookers in the side given Gorrell's ability to play 80 minutes. He has shown in the trials that he is good enough, and I think for atleast round one we should give him a go on his own. This would also enable us to rotate our forwards a bit more and get that impact we need from Te'o and Sweeney off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Lozza
  • theshed
  • barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.