10. Kenny
11. Thaiday
12. Sims
13. Parker

14. Gorrell
15. Taylor
16. Te'o
17. Setu

Pretty light on for props. Hopefully Taylor is a bit lighter and fitter this year. Would love to see Setu or Te'o get some serious game time.

Also, can anyone give me a link to or tell me a good game to watch some of the new recruits (Setu/Te'o in particular) on the highlights reels from 2008?

1. Hunt
2. Yow Yeh
3. De Vere
4. Folau
5. Michaels
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Kenny
9. Gorrell
10. Clinton
11. Sims
12. Thaiday
13. Setu

14. Taylor
15. Te'o
16. Parker
17. Wapau

Hope Gorrell can play 80 minutes.

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Steve Michaels
4. Michael De Vere
5. Isreal Falou
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Joel Clinton
9. Aaron Gorrell
10. Nick Kenny
11. Corey Parker
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Lagi Setu

14. PJ Marsh
15. Ashton Sims
16. Ben Te'o
17. Dave Taylor

lyn said:
1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Steve Michaels
4. Michael De Vere
5. Isreal Falou
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Joel Clinton
9. Aaron Gorrell
10. Nick Kenny
11. Corey Parker
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Lagi Setu

14. PJ Marsh
15. Ashton Sims
16. Ben Te'o
17. Dave Taylor

That is pretty much what I would go with assuming Hodgo doesnt play. Setu has to start in my opinion as does Gorrell

Something different.... [icon_shru

01. Hodges
02. Yow Yeh
03. Michaels
04. Devere
05. Folau
06. Lockyer
07. Wallace
08. Clinton
09. Marsh
10. Kenny
11. Parker
12. Thaiday
13. Hunt

14. Setu
15. Sims
16. Te'o
17. Gorrell

Why the hell would you pick an old man who hasn't played a match in multiple seasons in your first grade team when he wasn't anything other than a good defender and reasonable goalkicker in the first place?

The Rock said:
[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":2r6n3bnl]Why the hell would you pick an old man who hasn't played a match in multiple seasons in your first grade team when he wasn't anything other than a good defender and reasonable goalkicker in the first place?

Because he was reliable, he was a good finisher, he never gave away any penalties, never dropped the ball, and when a back line movement was on he always knew where to be, when to run, when to catch it and to pick it up, he was also an absolute rock in defence both one-on-one and positional play, so a lot of teams would tend to stay away from De Vere's side of the field due to the fact that he was so good as getting himself AND his winger (or his centre, depending on where he played) in a position to be make the best possible attempt at stopping the attack (so basically, is communication with the man next to him was just the best). Throw in being a pretty decent goal kicker, and you've got one top player IMO.

Just because he never made a break, that doesn't mean he was never a good attacking player.

Attack isn't just about breaking the line and fending off players to score a try - It's actually more about being able to position yourself for a try and being able to position yourself to set up a try and also being able to properly finish off a back line movement (which involves timing and game awareness) -- All of which De Vere was great at.

We all knew how great he was in defence and reliability, but his attack was just as good. I mean fack, how many times has Hodges or Boyd bombed a try by doing something stupid or selfish or just dumb? Plenty of times, and they only barely ever made it up by scoring trys on their own.

De Vere would be a great addition to our backline on a permanent basis IMO.[/quote:2r6n3bnl]

Agree with absolutely everything that you just said.

1. Hunt
2. Michaels
3. Folau
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Kenny
9. Marsh
10. Clinton
11. Taylor
12. Thaiday
13. Setu

14. Wapau
15. Te'o
16. Tupou
17. Gorrell

I don't know if all these players will be fit for round 1, but this will be the full strength team I would pick.
Speed and mobility from 1 - 17.
Sims and Parker can play QLD CUP.
If Clinton doesn't perform, he can join them

The Rock said:
[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":1iraetq8]Why the hell would you pick an old man who hasn't played a match in multiple seasons in your first grade team when he wasn't anything other than a good defender and reasonable goalkicker in the first place?

Because he was reliable, he was a good finisher, he never gave away any penalties, never dropped the ball, and when a back line movement was on he always knew where to be, when to run, when to catch it and to pick it up, he was also an absolute rock in defence both one-on-one and positional play, so a lot of teams would tend to stay away from De Vere's side of the field due to the fact that he was so good as getting himself AND his winger (or his centre, depending on where he played) in a position to be make the best possible attempt at stopping the attack (so basically, is communication with the man next to him was just the best). Throw in being a pretty decent goal kicker, and you've got one top player IMO.

Just because he never made a break, that doesn't mean he was never a good attacking player.

Attack isn't just about breaking the line and fending off players to score a try - It's actually more about being able to position yourself for a try and being able to position yourself to set up a try and also being able to properly finish off a back line movement (which involves timing and game awareness) -- All of which De Vere was great at.

We all knew how great he was in defence and reliability, but his attack was just as good. I mean fack, how many times has Hodges or Boyd bombed a try by doing something stupid or selfish or just dumb? Plenty of times, and they only barely ever made it up by scoring trys on their own.

De Vere would be a great addition to our backline on a permanent basis IMO.[/quote:1iraetq8]
So true, I have no idea why people are thinking of De Vere as a liability. He is exactly what the Broncos needed considering he played on the left as well I think.

De Vere WAS a good player there is no proof to say he will still be good enough.. The Broncos are dumb $hits if they think De Vere will just walk in to first grade and be able to handle the way the game is played... I feel for the youngsters like Beale, Yow Yeh and Tupou who could possibly lose there spot in the team to an old man who is going to get a game because he is an old favourite...

I don't think he is good enough to hold back our young backs though that is my opinion.. He wasn't that good of a player anyway all he could really do is defend and kick goals. The proof will be in the pudding De Vere will fail yet Henjak will continue to pick him ahead of good young players in turn destroying the young players confidence and drive..

But Beads, how good are Beale, Yow Yeh, Tupou etc anyway? They've only played NYC, which is pretty ordinary in terms of defence etc. Josh Hoffman is one guy who got promoted from that grade last year and IMO wasn't all that and a bag of chips.

Given the Broncos will be without Hodges - like or loathe him, he's an experienced player and an international - throwing another rookie in to replace him is frought with danger. There'll be a rookie on one wing already, having both wingers as rookies or even a wing and centre is probably too big a risk.

De Vere will get the job done and work with whoever's on his side of the field, and you can be sure if he's defending inside Yow Yeh or someone communication will be great, decisions made in defence will be great, and the young guy will learn from it.

How will we ever know how good Beale and the likes are if they are stuck behind De Vere???

Give them more time in Q Cup! That level is far greater than the under 20s comp, and it's a chance for them to get experience playing against men before being thrown to the wolves in the NRL.

I think 1 rookie in the backline is enough!

I am happy for De Vere to play after we know for sure these young guys can't cut it.. I don;t understand why other clubs will blood young players from the under 20's cup yet the Broncos rarely blood any young players instead they go backwards and play jokers like De Vere. This 2009 not 2001 ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Gaz
  • Waynesaurus
  • porouian
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Tim K
  • Skathen
  • Behold
  • Harry Sack
  • leish107
  • Foordy
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.