10. Payne Haas
11. Tevita Pangai Jr
12. Jordan Riki
13. John Asiata

14. Cory Paix
15. Tom Flegler
16. Matt Lodge
17. Brendan Piakura

Is my best case scenario with the current squad. Obviously if the Broncos can land some astute mid-season signings that would be a nice bonus. Especially an outside back or two.

It's a relatively straight forward team, with Piakura being the only stand out choice. He's one of the Broncos brightest prospects and the selection is less about desperation and more Brisbane getting back to doing what they do best. Bringing through quality talent and making them into rep quality players. I'm going in with the idea that the Broncos are at full-strength too and the likes of Paix and Piakura have forced their way into the team.

I went back and forth on Pangai Jr. His best position is 13, but Pangai Jr + Asiata just looks better on paper. Asiata at 13 would justify Kevie's recruitment and suggest the Broncos found a crucial piece to their puzzle. Also went back and forth on Haas' partner. You could make a perfectly valid argument for Flegler and Lodge in an ideal world, I just went with Pat because he's the most balanced of the three.
Not bad. Interesting choice to exclude Glenn, Oates and Macca.

theshed

Return of the Mac
It might be hard but without them, Oates and Macca especially that side looks quite strong.
A very mildly interesting piece of trivia but if all of the following players who are off contract at the end of the season are moved on - Ben Teo, Macca, Glenn, Copley; then there will be no one in the broncos team who was apart of the club when Lockyer was playing.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
A very mildly interesting piece of trivia but if all of the following players who are off contract at the end of the season are moved on - Ben Teo, Macca, Glenn, Copley; then there will be no one in the broncos team who was apart of the club when Lockyer was playing.

Never fear, Kahu will be back...surely.

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris
Where is that coming from or is it pure speculation? Because if it is based on a source, yeah it is another stuff up but I haven't seen anything about contract values anywhere.
Just the $400-500k thrown around in here for Allan to the Bulldogs and our ability to pay through the roof.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
Just the $400-500k thrown around in here for Allan to the Bulldogs and our ability to pay through the roof.
We can only speculate about Allen to the Bulldogs, because the media never made up a figure ... if it was us they would have made a figure to the cent. All they confirmed for Allen was a 3 year deal.

We can base our speculation on a few titbits the media have reported.

Allen's salary demand was 500k a season

Allen's is on 350k a season at the Rabbitohs

The Bulldogs offered more than his Rabbitohs salary.

So based on that the 400-500k a season offer seems about right. And IMO, that offer would be paying him on potential rather than performance ... and we've done that with far too many players in the past. He'll half our side is paid on potential rather than consistent performance.

State of Origin Captain
In all seriousness

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Xavier Coates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Tesi Niu
5. Herbie Farnworth
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Patrick Carrigan
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Tevita Pangai Jr
12. Jordan Riki
13. John Asiata

14. Cory Paix
15. Tom Flegler
16. Matt Lodge
17. Brendan Piakura

Is my best case scenario with the current squad. Obviously if the Broncos can land some astute mid-season signings that would be a nice bonus. Especially an outside back or two.

It's a relatively straight forward team, with Piakura being the only stand out choice. He's one of the Broncos brightest prospects and the selection is less about desperation and more Brisbane getting back to doing what they do best. Bringing through quality talent and making them into rep quality players. I'm going in with the idea that the Broncos are at full-strength too and the likes of Paix and Piakura have forced their way into the team.

I went back and forth on Pangai Jr. His best position is 13, but Pangai Jr + Asiata just looks better on paper. Asiata at 13 would justify Kevie's recruitment and suggest the Broncos found a crucial piece to their puzzle. Also went back and forth on Haas' partner. You could make a perfectly valid argument for Flegler and Lodge in an ideal world, I just went with Pat because he's the most balanced of the three.
Why not Bullemor on the bench?

BroncsFan

NRL Captain
I went very close to picking him over Lodge but resisted the urge due to the amount of junior talent in the side. I don't rate Bullemor as an edge player either and while I've jumped the gun with Piakura I've got my fingers crossed he can be the Broncos next Su'A.
I think Piakura is the most likely break out rookie this year.

I believe he's a left sided second rower and if Glenn loses the captaincy he will be the one most likely ear marked for it.

All that being said the recruitment team have yet again failed to lock down a guy they probably know is destined to play first grade.

I believe he is off contract this year and is an absolute must re-sign given the absolute dearth of second rowers we have after losing Gillett, Sua and Fifita within a 2yr timeframe.

If he has a breakout year this year the offers will be coming in thick and fast (the offers are apparently already coming in) and we will have to pay above to keep him.

So many teams get value out of their rookies by getting at least a season or two out of them whilst they're on a cheap contract. We however seem to wait until they have 12 months left before deciding to put them in the shop front window every Friday night

Bongo

QCup Player

I believe he's a left sided second rower and if Glenn loses the captaincy he will be the one most likely ear marked for it.

All that being said the recruitment team have yet again failed to lock down a guy they probably know is destined to play first grade.

I believe he is off contract this year and is an absolute must re-sign given the absolute dearth of second rowers we have after losing Gillett, Sua and Fifita within a 2yr timeframe.

If he has a breakout year this year the offers will be coming in thick and fast (the offers are apparently already coming in) and we will have to pay above to keep him.

So many teams get value out of their rookies by getting at least a season or two out of them whilst they're on a cheap contract. We however seem to wait until they have 12 months left before deciding to put them in the shop front window every Friday night
I don't think it is us waiting. I think it is their Managers doing it as a strategy

State of Origin Captain

If he’d played ISC this year he would have got an upgrade. Giving an upgrade to a Meninga kid who has had a year off has some risks.

He’s certainly trained hard and impressed people in the bubble but hasn’t played yet.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he plays the first few rounds of ISC and gets himself a new deal.

Having said that I’ve been saying for two years he’s going to go alright, Tweed, Queensland and Australia he’s stepped up every time.

Last edited:

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
I went very close to picking him over Lodge but resisted the urge due to the amount of junior talent in the side. I don't rate Bullemor as an edge player either and while I've jumped the gun with Piakura I've got my fingers crossed he can be the Broncos next Su'A.

I always thought Bullemor would be good on an edge, but i wasnt over impressed with his performances there last year. Probably a bit harsh on him seeing as we were atrocious.

JAHHW

NRL Player
I always thought Bullemor would be good on an edge, but i wasnt over impressed with his performances there last year. Probably a bit harsh on him seeing as we were atrocious.
TBH, I don’t know anything about him other than what I have seen in Broncos colours and a few other highlights, but from what I did see, I was a bit disappointed in his involvement.

I think that’s probably a bit down to how he was used (he also only got slightly more than 10mins in a couple of games), but I also think he could have gone looking for more ball / work if he wanted to.

I guess he may not have felt comfortable doing so or with his place in the team, but I would have liked to have seen more output from him.

That said, better judges than me say he’s the goods, so I hope they’re right!

Xzei

NRL Player
I always thought he looked a bit small compared to the other young blokes probably weighs something similar just looks a bit small.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.