Round 1 Lineup

Niu showed quite a nack for hanging around the ruck for offloads. Never really transpired but he was always energetic and in the right position.
Dearden had a habbit of following the ball too iirc.

People on here have a very short memory on how limited McCullough is. Up there with the worst service in the comp.

Everyone knows he's got very little in attack. But he's solid in defence.

Given injuries etc., come round 1 I’d like to see a forward pack / bench of:

8. Haas
9. McCullough (takes the initial brunt)
10. Lodge
11. Glenn (see McCullough)
12. TPJ
13. Asiata

14. Turpin
15. Flegler
16. Carrigan
17. Riki

That seems like a pretty strong rotation with a good balance of strike, ball-playing, experience and toilers.

Our backline stocks are pretty puss though:

1. Isaako (is there anyone else?)
2. Coates
3. Farnworth
4. Copley
5. Mead
6. Milford (has A LOT to prove, must know his contract won’t be renewed unless he plays the house down)
7. Dearden

Honestly though, you could probably interchange any number of the old / unproven kids / average outside backs we have into the 1-5 and probably get a similar result.

Anyway, will be interesting to see what transpires over the next couple of months.
Don't mind it but Pangai isn't great on an edge, rushes to put shots on and slow lateral mover. I would have the same line up with Pangai starting 13 for the initial 20min stint then Asiata coming on with tired defenders. Pangai to the rotate through middle and cover edge or Glen (Shouldn't be playing 80min).

Agree with Macca to take the initial brunt. same with carrigan and Flegler then coming off the pine would give us great go forward. So bench would be:
14. Turpin (hok/Middle cover)
15. Fleg (prop rotation)
16. Carrigan (prop rotation)
17. Asiata (predominately lock, ball player)

Leaves Oates out.

Don't mind it but Pangai isn't great on an edge, rushes to put shots on and slow lateral mover. I would have the same line up with Pangai starting 13 for the initial 20min stint then Asiata coming on with tired defenders. Pangai to the rotate through middle and cover edge or Glen (Shouldn't be playing 80min).

Agree with Macca to take the initial brunt. same with carrigan and Flegler then coming off the pine would give us great go forward. So bench would be:
14. Turpin (hok/Middle cover)
15. Fleg (prop rotation)
16. Carrigan (prop rotation)
17. Asiata (predominately lock, ball player)

Leaves Oates out.

I pretty much completely agree with this.

As for @JAHHW ’s back line, I would swap Coates and Mead so each young player has an experienced player next to them. If we do end up signing man I would go for

1. Isaako
2. Farnworth
3. Mann
4. Copley (make Staggs earn his spot back)
5: Coates

This will change over time but I am thinking I'd go:

1. Isaako
2. Farnworth
3. Mann
4. Copley
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Carrigan (c)
11. Capewell (hehe)
12. Haas
13. Asiata

14. McCullough
15. Flegler
16. TPJ
17. Riki

Yes I am aware this won't be the side.

1. Isaako
2. Farnworth
3. Mann
4. Copley
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Carrigan (c)
11. Capewell (hehe)
12. Haas
13. Asiata

14. McCullough
15. Flegler
16. TPJ
17. Riki

Given your propensity for rattling off team lists, I’m surprised it hasn’t already changed 😂

Last edited:

1. Isaako
2. Farnworth
3. Mann
4. Copley
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Carrigan (c)
11. Capewell (hehe)
12. Haas
13. Asiata

14. McCullough
15. Flegler
16. TPJ
17. Riki

That bench though😍. Minus Mecca 🤣

house city GIF

I just watched round 1 2020 again and Isaako actually was quite impressive. Ran hard, made some breaks, set up some breaks with nice offloads, a few good ball movements. He might go alright with a decent pre-season. I hope his ankle is alright.

I’m not happy that someone like Allan was available and we didn’t get him. But Capewell and Mann are exactly the no frills players that we need at the club. With Te’o we also have our 30 players which is worrying. Who do we lose to fit them in? And B.Smith too? I’d say Te’o, Isaako and Oates are gone before the year ends. Wouldn’t be surprised if Boyd plays again this year if Isaako gets injured early on.

I’d be happy to lose most of this team to be honest. Coates, Farnworth, Dearden, Carrigan, Flagler, Haas and Riki are the ones I’d want to keep. I’d have some faith in this team I have named, but the club would have to stop sitting on their hands to get it done. Holy shit I had to do some gymnastics to find a possible team that isn’t filled with reserve graders though.

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Xavier Coates
3. Tesi Niu/Kotoni Staggs
4. Kurt Mann
5. Herbie Farnworth
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Payne Haas
9. Brandon Smith
10. Patrick Carrigan
11. Tevita Pangai jr
12. Kurt Capewell
13. John Asiata

14. Jake Turpin/Cory Paix (we are going to lose one of these for Smith I imagine)
15. Tom Flegler
16. Matt Lodge
17. Jordan Riki

I’m more curious to see what people think the team will be by the final round this year

Why do people keep talking about Mann?
I'm 100% with you on this. Mann is absolutely nothing special, he has won nothing and completely over rated compared to other stars of the nrl. He most probably would want a good amount of money that we shouldnt just throw around as well.

Why would we sign Mann when we apparently could've had Allan for around the same price

Why would we sign Mann when we apparently could've had Allan for around the same price

Where is that coming from or is it pure speculation? Because if it is based on a source, yeah it is another stuff up but I haven't seen anything about contract values anywhere.

I'm 100% with you on this. Mann is absolutely nothing special, he has won nothing and completely over rated compared to other stars of the nrl. He most probably would want a good amount of money that we shouldnt just throw around as well.
Why exactly would he be after good money??

He's 28 and has hardly set the rugby league world on fire, primarily because he hasn't really nailed down what position he'd play.

He's a very solid NRL player, but he's been around long enough that teams can evaluate him on what he's shown rather than trying to invest in potential.

In that respect he seems to be a $300-$350k player and would probably be happy with a 2-3yr deal. 2yr would be better for the Broncos though.

He's also from Qld and his mother had health issues last year so there's a chance he wants to come back to QLD for personal reasons more so than money.

I think that would be a good price and he's more than capable of filling our vacant and troublesome left center spot... and that would be a reasonable price for a center. Hell that's not even a bad price for a bench utility that can cover almost every position in the back line and spine

Last edited:
Why exactly would he be after good money??

He's 28 and has hardly set the rugby league world on fire, primarily because he hasn't really nailed down what position he'd play.

He's a very solid NRL player, but he's been around long enough that teams can evaluate him on what he's shown rather than trying to invest in potential.

In that respect he seems to be a $300-$350k player and would probably be happy with a 2-3yr deal. 2yr would be better for the Broncos though.

He's also from Qld and his mother had health issues last year so there's a chance he wants to come back to QLD for personal reasons more so than money.

I think that would be a good price and he's more than capable of filling our vacant and troublesome left center spot... and that would be a reasonable price for a center. Hell that's not even a bad price for a bench utility that can cover almost every position in the back line and spine
How bout we just leave it at 1yr like the others

Active Now

• Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.