Round 1 Lineup

And that's the only one, or is there a possibility for more to be added?
I don't know the number but I did read they were cutting the trial games down this year because of the shorter pre-season.

I don't know the number but I did read they were cutting the trial games down this year because of the shorter pre-season.
I quite like the trial games. You get a feel for depth. Wasn't a good sign when we struggled to dominate the last couple of years.

The only reasoning I can come up with is that the cost outweighs the potential income.
In the smaller picture I'm sure you're right, but getting a glimpse of who's waiting in the wings is fantastic fan service.

I remember being way more interested in seeing Dearden, Paix, and Tanah Boyd making their debuts in senior football than Milford, Macca and Nikorima flogging their respective dead horses. It gives you a ray of hope when your team is struggling to know there's pressure from below. And then when they make their inevitable NRL debut you want to be there to see it.

Can't say I'm anticipating any youngsters coming through this season, but I might be after the trials.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m not arguing that at all. We as diehard fans all have that same appreciation of the trials; I’ve been to many myself over the years, or watched live boot-leg streams.

Footy ain’t really just a sport anymore. It’s big business and as much as we hate that aspect, it isn’t about to go back to the good old days, for better or worse.

Everything is about the bottom-line, sadly.
I think it's branching outside of just the diehards due to the increased popularity of supercoach and fantasy football.

I pretty much watch all 8 games each weekend because basically every game has some sort of supercoach related aspect to it.

Supercoach diehards tune in to trial games to find out if players will be in a new position heading into the next season and how they look.

Just at the Broncos people will be wanting to know if Riki is getting that second row spot, who's playing left center or left wing, will Asiata start at lock, how's Milf and Dearden look, who's got inside running for fullback, etc.

And that's just Broncos... people will tune into other teams as well so I think the NRL really is missing the jump not streaming trials properly

Last edited:
The clubs that host the trials rely on the income, it's their big earner for the season. If you televise them it affects the gate and revenue.

People should be encouraged to go.
This is true. However, if I was a sponsor I'd be paying a lot more if my sign was visible in a trial on tv with an NRL club.

The only reasoning I can come up with is that the cost outweighs the potential income.
If that ever was the case even for a trial game, League would be dead in this country. Especially a Broncos trial game.

Last edited:
So are we only having one trial this year - vs Cowboys Feb 27? I can't find any info on playing the usual lower grade games.

Clubs are only permitted one full strength trial this season.

i believe they are also permitted a second one for players who have played under a certain amount of games in 2020. i think the figure is less than 12 games, but don't quote me on that

i believe they are also permitted a second one for players who have played under a certain amount of games in 2020. i think the figure is less than 12 games, but don't quote me on that
If that is the case, we'll be able to put a fair few of our starters through a second trial as a good chunk of our team didn't make 12 games.

If that is the case, we'll be able to put a fair few of our starters through a second trial as a good chunk of our team didn't make 12 games.

So for the first trial (without checking games played), something like:

1. Isaako
2. Copley
3. Arthars
4. Niu
5. Mead
6. Gamble
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Hetherington
10. Flegler
11. Glenn
12. Riki
13. TPJ

14. Walsh
15. Bullemor
16. Kennedy
17. Piakura

18. Peterson-Robati (of course)

Clubs are only permitted one full strength trial this season.

Wonder what the go will be with ISC??

They haven't played a game in 12 months and I'm guessing they organise trials as well. We may have a few guys flagged to start off down in ISC and they may be able to get a few runs in with their trials as well

@Big Pete may have a better idea though??

Last edited:
How about ISC??

I'm guessing they can organise trials as well and we may have a few guys flagged to start off down in ISC.

@Big Pete may have a better idea though??

No idea about ISC ... but i assume if they are in our top 30 they would fall under the NRL teams trial requirements

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Behold
  • Maddy
  • Footy Fanatic
  • sooticus
  • Splinter
  • BroncoFan94
  • LittleDavey
  • achievedrap
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bronx48
  • bb_gun
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • rj9
  • mystico
  • Bish
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.