Round 1 Lineup

I went very close to picking him over Lodge but resisted the urge due to the amount of junior talent in the side. I don't rate Bullemor as an edge player either and while I've jumped the gun with Piakura I've got my fingers crossed he can be the Broncos next Su'A.
I think Piakura is the most likely break out rookie this year.

I believe he's a left sided second rower and if Glenn loses the captaincy he will be the one most likely ear marked for it.

All that being said the recruitment team have yet again failed to lock down a guy they probably know is destined to play first grade.

I believe he is off contract this year and is an absolute must re-sign given the absolute dearth of second rowers we have after losing Gillett, Sua and Fifita within a 2yr timeframe.

If he has a breakout year this year the offers will be coming in thick and fast (the offers are apparently already coming in) and we will have to pay above to keep him.

So many teams get value out of their rookies by getting at least a season or two out of them whilst they're on a cheap contract. We however seem to wait until they have 12 months left before deciding to put them in the shop front window every Friday night

I believe he's a left sided second rower and if Glenn loses the captaincy he will be the one most likely ear marked for it.

All that being said the recruitment team have yet again failed to lock down a guy they probably know is destined to play first grade.

I believe he is off contract this year and is an absolute must re-sign given the absolute dearth of second rowers we have after losing Gillett, Sua and Fifita within a 2yr timeframe.

If he has a breakout year this year the offers will be coming in thick and fast (the offers are apparently already coming in) and we will have to pay above to keep him.

So many teams get value out of their rookies by getting at least a season or two out of them whilst they're on a cheap contract. We however seem to wait until they have 12 months left before deciding to put them in the shop front window every Friday night
I don't think it is us waiting. I think it is their Managers doing it as a strategy

If he’d played ISC this year he would have got an upgrade. Giving an upgrade to a Meninga kid who has had a year off has some risks.

He’s certainly trained hard and impressed people in the bubble but hasn’t played yet.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he plays the first few rounds of ISC and gets himself a new deal.

Having said that I’ve been saying for two years he’s going to go alright, Tweed, Queensland and Australia he’s stepped up every time.

Last edited:
I went very close to picking him over Lodge but resisted the urge due to the amount of junior talent in the side. I don't rate Bullemor as an edge player either and while I've jumped the gun with Piakura I've got my fingers crossed he can be the Broncos next Su'A.

I always thought Bullemor would be good on an edge, but i wasnt over impressed with his performances there last year. Probably a bit harsh on him seeing as we were atrocious.

I always thought Bullemor would be good on an edge, but i wasnt over impressed with his performances there last year. Probably a bit harsh on him seeing as we were atrocious.
TBH, I don’t know anything about him other than what I have seen in Broncos colours and a few other highlights, but from what I did see, I was a bit disappointed in his involvement.

I think that’s probably a bit down to how he was used (he also only got slightly more than 10mins in a couple of games), but I also think he could have gone looking for more ball / work if he wanted to.

I guess he may not have felt comfortable doing so or with his place in the team, but I would have liked to have seen more output from him.

That said, better judges than me say he’s the goods, so I hope they’re right!

I always thought he looked a bit small compared to the other young blokes probably weighs something similar just looks a bit small.

I always thought he looked a bit small compared to the other young blokes probably weighs something similar just looks a bit small.
He's actually 190cm and weighs 105kg

Minus the shit for brains and feet for hands.
Gday, I quoted you here mainly to get your attention 🌝 I was thinking about KWs stated emphasis on defence this year and McCullough returning to the fold. I just have to think it's a good thing for a couple of reasons.

Solid and reliable ruck defence is the core. Already on the books, ticks all the boxes from a defence perspective. Great team defence and a moderate attack will get you better than 50% and that's finals.

Second major reason is KWs brothers played test foorball at hooker, one rated the best ever at the time and Kws twin played hooker. It's a position KW understands really well and I'd think having Macca back is exactly what KW needed.

Gday, I quoted you here mainly to get your attention 🌝 I was thinking about KWs stated emphasis on defence this year and McCullough returning to the fold. I just have to think it's a good thing for a couple of reasons.

Solid and reliable ruck defence is the core. Already on the books, ticks all the boxes from a defence perspective. Great team defence and a moderate attack will get you better than 50% and that's finals.

Second major reason is KWs brothers played test foorball at hooker, one rated the best ever at the time and Kws twin played hooker. It's a position KW understands really well and I'd think having Macca back is exactly what KW needed.
100%. He’s calm on the field and just does his job too. Never seen him drop his head.

Again, I’m in no way forgetting his flaws but I think reliable old Andrew is a key figure in a team vastly lacking players that just quietly go about their jobs no matter the pressure.

Isn't Niu look like holding Staggs spot till he gets back, I heard he has been training there.

Haven't heard anything about Farnworth being moved from centre back to wing though.

@Wolfie do you ever go to Broncos training? Do you know if they have any sessions on Friday or Monday I could take the kid to?

Just on Kerrod Walters, wouldn't he be a sensation under the new rules, have a look at some of his runs from dummy half, used to carve them up and Alfie and Kevvie were always with him

100%. He’s calm on the field and just does his job too. Never seen him drop his head.

Again, I’m in no way forgetting his flaws but I think reliable old Andrew is a key figure in a team vastly lacking players that just quietly go about their jobs no matter the pressure.
He will definitely put some starch into the defense and lead by example, he's solid as, in 2020 under the new rules and the coaches poor preparation for same we were caught short, I reckon McCulloch is a must in the team, if the defense doesn't aim up, we are in for more of 2020, Kev will use McCulloch as the cornerstone to get the forwards working as a unit, he knows the team has to crawl before it can walk.
Before he got injured and Newcastle imploded, McCulloch had their pack going forward pretty much every match, plus he did his 40+ tackles every time he played.

@Wolfie do you ever go to Broncos training? Do you know if they have any sessions on Friday or Monday I could take the kid to?

I havent been for over 12 months at a guess but they used to let you. Not sure what all the protocols are now around it.

Just on Kerrod Walters, wouldn't he be a sensation under the new rules, have a look at some of his runs from dummy half, used to carve them up and Alfie and Kevvie were always with him
I imagine Kev, Steve and Kerrod all played around at hooker. Having someone like KW as a coach would be good for McCullough. No, I don't think he'd train him like a relative rookie but he may see the game from Mcs perspective. Slight tweaks, possibly only one in a game play sense may be KWs go here.

Another great thing is KW was the type player we need now and McCullough is the same type. Hard working, average talent and making others around him look better. We just need Mcs normal game in 21 and if all the others play close to their abilities we'll be in the ascendancy.

Active Now

• scobie
  • Organix
  • Battler
  • Justwin
  • Brocko
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Rah88
  • Harry Sack
  • Mustafur
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ivanhungryjak
  • pennywisealfie
  • Foordy
  • BroncoFan94
  • Waynesaurus
  • RolledOates
  • Xzei
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncos4life
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.