Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
McGuire has a good pass and offload.

He just doesn't use it much because props aren't there to do that.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Moving Corey Parker to lock made him Corey Parker. He certainly didn't offload or attack for a long time in his career.

When has Arrow balled played? I think Arrow's attack is under sold because his defence is so good and his strength. But I can't recall any ball playing.

Arrow off-loaded 55 times in the NYC in 2015 but was no where near that number last year in the ISC with it reduced to 40. He only had two off-loads in 12 NRL games.

Every time I've watched Arrow he's done plenty of passing in the lead up to sweeping plays, playing similarly to someone like Gallen, if I was going to compare it to someone in the NRL, he's no James Graham, but he can definitely pass the ball accurately and in a timely fashion.

And those off-load statistics 100% back-up what I was saying, in comparison to McGuire he's absolute light years ahead of him if we're looking for a lock similar to Corey Parker that can offload and defend at a high rate.

Also, in regards to your stats, you said that his number of offloads were "no where near that number" in the ISC, but followed up by saying he played in 12 NRL games, would I be correct in saying he played far fewer games in the ISC in 2016 than he did in the NYC in 2015? Statistically speaking he probably averaged more offloads per game in the ISC than the NYC.

And just as a side note:

McGuire in 2016: 24 games, 16 offloads.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
McGuire has a good pass and offload.

He just doesn't use it much because props aren't there to do that.

That's a cop out and you know it, Blair is a prop and is one of the best offloaders in the NRL, so is Fifita, so is Bromwich, so is Kasiano.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Why would all inexperienced guys be on the field at the same time?.. We have McGuire, Blair, Thaiday, Gillett, Glenn, Sims.. We certainly aren't lacking NRL experience in the forwards.

I said the middle and at some point you'd have McGuire and Blair both off with only sims as your experienced forward with arrow and ESE/offa out there with him.

Several years ago similar situation happened where the two bench props were inexperienced and we used to get dominated in the middle while they were on. Bennett then benched Sammy to provide experience off the bench

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
That's a cop out and you know it, Blair is a prop and is one of the best offloaders in the NRL, so is Fifita, so is Bromwich, so is Kasiano.

Other props do it. But it's not what they are there to do.

They are there to run the ball really hard and tackle really hard.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I said the middle and at some point you'd have McGuire and Blair both off with only sims as your experienced forward with arrow and ESE/offa out there with him.

Several years ago similar situation happened where the two bench props were inexperienced and we used to get dominated in the middle while they were on. Bennett then benched Sammy to provide experience off the bench

Glenn & Sims aren't inexperienced, I'm not sure why you're saying they are. As I said, if lack of experience becomes a major issue (for whatever reason), we have ample enough experience to use the rotation in a way that we always have at least 1-2 experienced middle forwards on the field at a time.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Other props do it. But it's not what they are there to do.

They are there to run the ball really hard and tackle really hard.

If virtually every team has a good offloading prop, that's what they're there to do. The only props who don't utilise their offload are ones who either aren't confident in doing so, or aren't capable of doing so. McGuire had 16 offloads in the ENTIRE 2016 season, are you saying that he's secretly a phenomenal offloader but because he's gotta run hard and tackle hard that he's not required to use it?..

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Got a feeling McGuire might leave at the end of the season.

I see TPJ as our long term lock, so I wouldn't mind seeing as already suggested McGuire starting at lock and then moving to prop when TPJ comes on.

Also don't think starting Glenn at lock and then bringing TPJ on to replace him is a bad idea.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
If virtually every team has a good offloading prop, that's what they're there to do. The only props who don't utilise their offload are ones who either aren't confident in doing so, or aren't capable of doing so. McGuire had 16 offloads in the ENTIRE 2016 season, are you saying that he's secretly a phenomenal offloader but because he's gotta run hard and tackle hard that he's not required to use it?..

Wayne probably just run hard and tackle hard and to not worry about offloading as he was making most of our metres.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The problem with Korbin Sims is that I don't trust him to control the middle.

He may have first grade experience, but it isn't quality experience either and he's going to have to develop some new habits at the club.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Seems to be a common association with ball playing and the lock position.

While many locks might have that element to their game, it's not a mandatory feature.

Klemmer, Finucane, Taumalolo, none of them known as prolific offloaders or ball players. You could add players like Moaeroa and Fensom too, though you could argue they're not particularly effective players by most measures.

I realise we have a surplus of experienced second rowers comparative to props but I still feel McGuire is the best fit.

He's tough as nails, can play big minutes and is pretty quick off the mark for his size. We just need him to punch out the minutes and rip in at full throttle. Preferably once our backs and props have the defence retreating.

If he adds an offload to his game, so much the better.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
I'd have offa in the starting side with Blair, Maguire at lock . although Simms looked good in the trial, he's new to the club. He's likely to offer more impact off the bench and can be worked into the side. The same with thaiday, though for different reasons. He hasn't had much of a pre-season. Maguire gets first crack at 13, but I'd personally prefer gillet. I remember him in the early years and he seemed to offload at will. That plus his short kicking game that's been forgotten about. If he wasn't so important on the edge....oh well.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Glenn & Sims aren't inexperienced, I'm not sure why you're saying they are. As I said, if lack of experience becomes a major issue (for whatever reason), we have ample enough experience to use the rotation in a way that we always have at least 1-2 experienced middle forwards on the field at a time.

I never said Glenn or Sims were inexperienced... I actually said Sims would be your only experienced forward out there.

With arrow, ESE/offa and tpj you're going to have inexperienced forwards playing minutes in the middle at the same time which has been shown to get dominated in none other than a Bennett coached team so he won't go down that path.

I actually want to see the young guys get a shot but Bennett doesn't roll that way and we all know it.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Mead has impressed me in the all stars game I think he's a certain starter.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I actually said Sims would be your only experienced forward out there.

Really so Bennett would have Gillett, Glenn, Thaiday, Blair and McGuire all off the field at the same time ... highly unlikely

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I actually want to see the young guys get a shot but Bennett doesn't roll that way and we all know it.

Wtf?

He gives young guys opportunities as much as any other coach, if not more.. Opacic, Pearson, Pangai Jr, Ese'ese, Arrow, Su'A.. all last year.. do I need to go on?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Who of those guys started in a full strength side?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Really so Bennett would have Gillett, Glenn, Thaiday, Blair and McGuire all off the field at the same time ... highly unlikely

**** me in the MIDDLE!!!

Second rowers don't typically come charging in for tackles unless it's on their EDGE. You know the edge where Matty G was protecting Hunt all year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.