PRE-GAME Round 1 - Storm vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Storm losing in NQ and the boys just getting home can only spell disaster for our opener against them at AAMI.
They will target the unsettled Bird and run all sweeping plays down the left edge.
Milf returning underdone will also cop a lot of defensive pressure.
Whoever slots in for Billy will do a hell of alot better than our limp fullback, whilst their hooker controls the game (and the refs) to his whim.
Storm 13+

O’Sullivan looks to be, at worst, a competent NRL half and should be pushing Nikorima (Dearden could be flat out special but yet to drink a legal beer yet). Isaako should be close to replacing Boyd at 1 if Seibold has the gonads to do it (which he should). Bird and Roberts both under pressure from Staggs.

Seibold has to include at least one of the young halves or Turpin on the interchange, so he can sub out Macca. Or rip the bandaid off week one. That's what I'd do.

Interested to see this one.

No tougher road test than the Storm away from home.

Roy Masters is predicting a crowd of 18,000 down in Melbourne. I don't think they have a hope in hell of that but that would be awesome.

Am completely over big match games being played in cavernous, near empty stadiums on a Thursday night. It's a terrible spectacle to watch onscreen.

Why is Thursday Night Football still a thing? I don't know of anyone, either real or on-line, that actually likes it or thinks it's good for the game. Most fans just begrudgingly put up with it.

The reason, I guess, is some rich prick paid another rich prick a stack of cash to play a game there. Bugger the fans.

As for the game itself, I'm finding the Melbourne Storm's approach to the game to be just as compelling as the Broncos.

I'm not getting too carried away with the absence of Slater. He missed most of 2015-16 and Melbourne were very competitive.

The Storm are big believers in the basics. Completing sets, good defense etc. I think that's the key to their on-field success more than wrestling or any other grubby stuff they're accused of doing.

One thing the game will do is strip away all the rubbish that's been written. Even by off-season standards it's been a shocker.

I'm way behind the pack but when did Rugby League become so complicated?

For example, for a hundred years we had metres gained. Then it morphed into 'post-contact' metres. Everyone's favourite stat these days.

Then we moved onto game management. I'm trying to remember when that term entered the rugby league vocabulary. Were Lockyer and Johns great managers or is that a label that's been retroactively applied to them. After all, we're so much more 'enlightened' now.

It's about blasting "No Easy Way Out" by Robert Tepper at training during the week.

You need to be pumped. Pumped up! What next? Danger Zone. Will pretending to be Maverick and Goose give us an edge. I'm up for anything, fellas.

The Edge. Starring Anthony Hopkins. Alec Baldwin. Elle Macpherson. A grizzly bear.

We had second rowers for all time. Now they have become "edge" forwards.

We need hard running edge forwards. The razor's edge.

What next? Edge forward management? Will that be the new thing?

Personally, I'm just looking to see whether we run hard and tackle hard. If we do that I think there will be little difference between a win and a loss.

Let's take it to the Storm on their own terms. Get the basics right and see what happens.

Drinkwater hasn’t looked overly special anyway, will be interesting to see who Bellamy goes with in the 1.

He has played 1.5 trial games. We're you expecting a billy Slater type performance from him in that time?
Drinkwater is a damn good player and when fit you will see how good he is..

Seibold said Bellamy has never lost a round 1 game. I reckon he'll be absolutely pumping the boys up to win here.

I'll never be confident of beating Melbourne with Smith around but I'm as confident as I've been in many years. Can't wait for round 1.

Storm losing in NQ and the boys just getting home can only spell disaster for our opener against them at AAMI.
They will target the unsettled Bird and run all sweeping plays down the left edge.
Milf returning underdone will also cop a lot of defensive pressure.
Whoever slots in for Billy will do a hell of alot better than our limp fullback, whilst their hooker controls the game (and the refs) to his whim.
Storm 13+

Stop it

Over the three trials I could see improved passing, and more ball movement, not too sure they're down with why and when they're doing it yet. But education continues. Seibold is happy for you to try things and but be prepared for 30 questions on why even if it works.

Still saw plenty of the same issues, last year the Broncos couldn't build pressure 23.7 tackles in the opponents 20 a game- fewest in the competition. That is still a work in progress.

26 tries conceded by kicks last year, the most in the NRL and I still think Brisbane struggle with fielding kicks and being decisive.

Lodge was passing again before the line and if guys push up with them breaks will come. Dolphins used him down the right hand side to great effect.

Glenn was terrific just loved his work and effort.
Carrigan I am even more sure of than 12 months ago. He's too smart, Bullemor will be the next player like him to come along and play for the Broncos.

Last edited:
Seibold said Bellamy has never lost a round 1 game. I reckon he'll be absolutely pumping the boys up to win here.

I'll never be confident of beating Melbourne with Smith around but I'm as confident as I've been in many years. Can't wait for round 1.
There's no way that's accurate.

*Checks Wikipedia*

Holy shit, that's accurate. 16 straight wins in round 1. For a guy with a 68% win record, the chance of winning 16 season openers in a row is 1 in 478.

O'Sullivan plays like everything is in slow motion, he always looks like he has time.. That's a huge change to what Milford and Nikorima look like on the field. I understand why we recruited O'Sullivan, he'd complement either one of those halves very nicely.

One thing I noticed in the Titans trial was how extremely staggered our D line was..
Almost every wide out shot, you can see out line is jagged the whole way. Horrific shape... Needs fixing ASAP

Over the three trials I could see improved passing, and more ball movement, not too sure they're down with why and when they're doing it yet. But education continues. Seibold is happy for you to try things and but be prepared for 30 questions on why even if it works.

Still saw plenty of the same issues, last year the Broncos couldn't build pressure 23.7 tackles in the opponents 20 a game- fewest in the competition. That is still a work in progress.

26 tries conceded by kicks last year, the most in the NRL and I still think Brisbane struggle with fielding kicks and being decisive.

Lodge was passing again before the line and if guys push up with them breaks will come. Dolphins used him down the right hand side to great effect.

Glenn was terrific just loved his work and effort.
Carrigan I am even more sure of than 12 months ago. He's too smart, Bullemor will be the next player like him to come along and play for the Broncos.

Darius defending in the line isn’t helping with fielding kicks... I see no reason why they should be persisting with it...

O'Sullivan plays like everything is in slow motion, he always looks like he has time.. That's a huge change to what Milford and Nikorima look like on the field. I understand why we recruited O'Sullivan, he'd complement either one of those halves very nicely.
Ahhrreehhh
That's not in anyway how I saw it

Darius defending in the line isn’t helping with fielding kicks... I see no reason why they should be persisting with it...
This
At least if you want to do it.. be quick enough to get back for the kick. Boyd isn't.. he just stands there at marker.... Like, why the **** are you defending at marker?! Gtfo of there

Last edited:

Active Now

• simplythebest
  • Brotherdu
  • Organix
  • broncsgoat
  • Scorchie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Culhwch
  • RodF
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mustafur
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fatboy
  • Strop
  • Mighty Bronx
  • winslow_wong
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Allo
  • theshed
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.