Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Johns was talking about how the Roosters were missing Ferguson's amazing work in getting their sets started, and that got me thinking again - we have to keep Oates at all costs. He's the MVP, and Isaako seems very passive sometimes.

Oates just has that natural mongrel that can’t be taught or gained at the gym. Isaako looks big and muscly but gets no where near as much post contact metres

What a load of bollocks. I've never seen anywhere or heard anything about Bennett sending a message down to the players in that grand final saying ( shut up shop boys, 20 mins to go ). Show me some proof of that please.

If Hunt didnt spear tackle Linnett about 5 mins from the end they dont get back field position. If Hunt has better ball security he doesnt get stripped one on one which lead to their try in the last minute. If Hunt doesnt drop a basic catch from a kick off, they dont get field position to score. Hunt derped it up as much as Macca did. Even after Macca missing parker, we should still have won. We were in a winning position. That was all down to Hunt.

Good post, mate.

I don't want to re-open old wounds or derail the post game discussion but the myth that Bennett told us to shut up shop in the 2015 decider needs to be corrected.

Here's Corey Parker reflecting on the game:

'Wayne was cool at halftime, because he knew there was a good game of footy going on. There was just some little things he wanted us to tidy up, but he told us to keep playing footy and to keep doing what we were doing.'

He goes on to say:

'We were criticised after the game for shutting down in the second half, but all we were doing was backing our defence, which had been solid all year and one of the reasons we had made the grand final.'

He seem more dirty on himself for failing to put JT on the ground in the final play than anything Bennett did or said.

Here is Sam Thaiday's take on it:

'The mood in the locker room was overwhelmingly positive. There was a lot of belief in this team. We knew the Cowboys would hit back hard in the second half but we were confident we could win the arm wrestle.'

Over the Christmas break I dug up an old issue of Big League from 2003. It's funny that even back then Wayne was too old, out of touch, doesn't understand the modern game etc.

This all actually hints at something I'm starting to think is true - that the coach has very little, if any, power over what happens when the players actually run onto the field.

The obsession of the fans over who coaches their teams is sometimes really puzzling to me.

Seibold looked impressive giving directions in the box but what did it amount to?

For me, it was just same old, same old.

There were some positives for sure. We broke the Storm easily when Oates scored his first try. It goes without saying the Melbourne Storm are very strong defensively but that was a bit too easy. If we can tidy up the penalties and loose carries we'll be tough for teams to hold out.

Sources:

Iron Man by Corey Parker with Stuart Honeysett
Tries, Lies & Meat Pies: The Sam Thaiday Story by Sam Thaiday with James Colley

Good post, mate.

I don't want to re-open old wounds or derail the post game discussion but the myth that Bennett told us to shut up shop in the 2015 decider needs to be corrected.

Here's Corey Parker reflecting on the game:

'Wayne was cool at halftime, because he knew there was a good game of footy going on. There was just some little things he wanted us to tidy up, but he told us to keep playing footy and to keep doing what we were doing.'

He goes on to say:

'We were criticised after the game for shutting down in the second half, but all we were doing was backing our defence, which had been solid all year and one of the reasons we had made the grand final.'

He seem more dirty on himself for failing to put JT on the ground in the final play than anything Bennett did or said.

Here is Sam Thaiday's take on it:

'The mood in the locker room was overwhelmingly positive. There was a lot of belief in this team. We knew the Cowboys would hit back hard in the second half but we were confident we could win the arm wrestle.'

Over the Christmas break I dug up an old issue of Big League from 2003. It's funny that even back then Wayne was too old, out of touch, doesn't understand the modern game etc.

This all actually hints at something I'm starting to think is true - that the coach has very little, if any, power over what happens when the players actually run onto the field.

The obsession of the fans over who coaches their teams is sometimes really puzzling to me.

Seibold looked impressive giving directions in the box but what did it amount to?

For me, it was just same old, same old.

There were some positives for sure. We broke the Storm easily when Oates scored his first try. It goes without saying the Melbourne Storm are very strong defensively but that was a bit too easy. If we can tidy up the penalties and loose carries we'll be tough for teams to hold out.

Sources:

Iron Man by Corey Parker with Stuart Honeysett
Tries, Lies & Meat Pies: The Sam Thaiday Story by Sam Thaiday with James Colley
Good post!

But can you use Oxford referencing next time please? :lol:

Oates just has that natural mongrel that can’t be taught or gained at the gym. Isaako looks big and muscly but gets no where near as much post contact metres

Oates is a hard strong body. He’s a big guy, not jacked, but tall and solid. Isaako has buffed a fair bit, but still looks to be a guy who needs speed to be strong, unlike Corey who is always tough to tackle and makes metres

Redcliffe got flogged this afternoon, but Turpin their best player.

I really like the idea of Bird at fullback and I can’t help but think Boyd’s best position, in this the twilight of his career, is centre.

Indeed, he did it very well in Origin and has done so in the NRL too, so surely it can’t hurt to give it a go.

Niko would be great in attack at FB looming up in support, but I would worry teams would formulate their attacking plans around isolating him under high kicks. He’ll always do his best, but let’s be honest, he is not going to outjump many in any grade of football above under 10’s.

I would love to go back to Niko coming on at 9 for McCullough, ala 2015. So dynamic and threatening running amongst tired forwards.

Anyway, see what transpires over the next 6 or so weeks. Hopefully it all clicks and we’re proven wrong and we start living up to our potential!
That high ball weakness is what most people argue against Kodi as fullback, but unlike the wings were players often get isolated in a 1 on 1 dispute, that rarely is the case in the middle of the field.
The fullback rarely needs to dispute a high ball, although he definitely needs to be an expert at defusing bombs, for which he rarely will need to out-jump an opponent 1 on 1.

I am more worried about Niko defending in the ruck as the hooker than at fullback tbh.

Yeah, I think his height might have been a problem against someone like Slater, who pretty much competes for the ball like a winger even against the opposition fullbacks, but luckily he has retired now. I don't think Kodi is much shorter than Corey Thompson, or someone like Preston Campbell or Matt Bowen in the past.

Last edited:
By all rights he should be 14 for us while Staggs covers for Roberts
I really hope he is. Injecting some energy, good service and speed late in each half would make a world of difference. I just hope seibold has the guys to do it .

What a load of bollocks. I've never seen anywhere or heard anything about Bennett sending a message down to the players in that grand final saying ( shut up shop boys, 20 mins to go ). Show me some proof of that please.

If Hunt didnt spear tackle Linnett about 5 mins from the end they dont get back field position. If Hunt has better ball security he doesnt get stripped one on one which lead to their try in the last minute. If Hunt doesnt drop a basic catch from a kick off, they dont get field position to score. Hunt derped it up as much as Macca did. Even after Macca missing parker, we should still have won. We were in a winning position. That was all down to Hunt.
You’re right because it was closer to 30 minutes to go.

Active Now

• Splinter
  • Sproj
  • Bronx48
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Footy Fanatic
  • sooticus
  • BroncoFan94
  • bb_gun
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • rj9
  • mystico
  • Bish
  • Battler
  • Browny
  • LittleDavey
  • broncos4life
  • Skyblues87
  • Wolfie
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.