International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
You're going to be waiting a long ass time to cash that in SF :lol:

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I'm a bit of a J-Wal fan to be honest, but realistically even if he doesn't get much better - he's still a first-grade-quality front rower. We don't need (and can't have) superstars in every position. We need them in key positions (lookin' at you, Milf my man..) and the rest of the squad by salary-cap-necessity will be padded out with (hopefully) decent players who do enough for the stars to do their thing.

Wallace is one of these. I don't think he has the ceiling of a Napa or Woods (though happy to be proven wrong!) But he doesn't need to. If he holds his own, that's enough. And I'd take him over close to half the other props in the comp too, which makes him absolutely average - which is all he needs to be. I'm in the "he has improvement" camp too, though I also feel Joe O can outshine him in a couple of years. No fault of J-Wal mind you, I just really really really rate Offa...kid is a beast!

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Joe hasn't really been much better..

Makes less metres, only made 2 more runs than Wallace, no offloads, less tackles, only 1 less missed tackle, only 1 less mistake and only a few less penalties.

Still makes boneheaded mistakes and concedes silly penalties.

Let's get rid of both them because of that.
Wallace is now on his 5th season with 50+ games under his belt, while Ofa is in his second and less than 20 games.
Yet, their stats and averages this season are already pretty much on par.

Ofa also has a much bigger motor than Wallace, works as hard and is more talented imo.

P.S. Not bagging Wallace btw, just putting things into perspective.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Wallace is now on his 5th season with 50+ games under his belt, while Ofa is in his second and less than 20 games.
Yet, their stats and averages this season are already pretty much on par.

Ofa also has a much bigger motor than Wallace, works as hard and is more talented imo.

P.S. Not bagging Wallace btw, just putting things into perspective.

This is what has annoyed me so much about this rubbish. This was never a comparison. Not one person has even implied that this is a Joe vs Wallace debate. I think it is quite obvious that Joe has a higher ceiling but who cares, they both have a place in the team.

The only reason Joe came into this nonsensus was because [MENTION=8290]Unbreakable[/MENTION] was implying that Wallace is our only forward that makes an error or concedes a penalty, which is obviously bullshit.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
This is what has annoyed me so much about this rubbish. This was never a comparison. Not one person has even implied that this is a Joe vs Wallace debate. I think it is quite obvious that Joe has a higher ceiling but who cares, they both have a place in the team.

The only reason Joe came into this nonsensus was because @Unbreakable was implying that Wallace is our only forward that makes an error or concedes a penalty, which is obviously bullshit.

I never implied that once, please don't resort to making up lies b4l, it doesn't suit you.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
I think Wallace is coming along nicely and will probably be in the top 17 for a long while yet.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
He is certainly showing a bit of "Bennett polish" so to speak. He was a journeyman under Griffin but now he's a perfectly serviceable bench prop

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I'll just put this in here. I watched the replay and in particular Wadell and his every single move. Aside from the first Hayne like fumble he played right up to first grade standard. Good service and committed tackling and no errors. 26 minutes and he played his part in the good scoring and really solid opening. I thought he had a good game.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
I'll just put this in here. I watched the replay and in particular Wadell and his every single move. Aside from the first Hayne like fumble he played right up to first grade standard. Good service and committed tackling and no errors. 26 minutes and he played his part in the good scoring and really solid opening. I thought he had a good game.

I thought so too, although his passing accuracy was a bit wild at times with a few passes nearly going over the heads of the intended reciever. Not saying that this never happens to anyone else but it is my only real criticism. He had pretty big shoes to fill defensively with both Macca and Blair out but he handled it well. I'll still be pretty happy to see macca back out there.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I thought so too, although his passing accuracy was a bit wild at times with a few passes nearly going over the heads of the intended reciever. Not saying that this never happens to anyone else but it is my only real criticism. He had pretty big shoes to fill defensively with both Macca and Blair out but he handled it well. I'll still be pretty happy to see macca back out there.
Actually, I thought he made some good front on tackles and generally held his own, it was of a good standard and at least proves he can play first grade standard. He may always be a bit player but a player nevertheless.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Actually, I thought he made some good front on tackles and generally held his own, it was of a good standard and at least proves he can play first grade standard. He may always be a bit player but a player nevertheless.
As long as he's not in the top 17 I'm happy. A lot of us would have initially feared him taking the role of Parcell, Nikorima, etc. But to Bennett's credit he has used him as depth and nothing more which is the only way he should be used.

He's not standing in the way of any promising juniors, and as long as that's the case there's nothing to complain about.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Yep. I'm so glad you got the message. Against a 2nd rate side, and with a roster as good as ours, and the best coach in the world, we should have put 50 on them.

Whinge? You bloody bet I'm whingeing. I want to see my beloved team, with some of the best players in the game, put together a consistent, structured compelling game of scintillating, team based attacking plays, not flashes of individual brilliance by a couple of outstanding players.

Yes, our defence was good, yes, there were some great occasional plays but this was not a performance from a side with a killer instinct who have worked their plays and execute them mercilessly.

After watching how dreadful Manly were from the opening, I expected 50+ points, with Roberts scoring 4 tries at least, not this individualistic, opportunistic rubbish. I expected sweeping backline movements with the ball moving from one side of the field to the other. Now we have yet another opportunity to make some more excuses: Oh... we did enough, oh, we played to the level of the opposition, oh, we need Macca and Blair, oh, 2 points is 2 points.

Like I said, some brilliant flashes from great players and good defence. I take nothing positive away from this game other than we can beat a 2nd rate team of no hopers.

Let's hope we show our true colours next week, as we more or less did in the 2nd half against the Sharks

Whinge whinge whinge whinge

This is a bit late, but I wanted to give my thoughts. In my opinion, Bennett's coaching style is beginning to kick in. And that is the structure from Bennett's Dragons, defence over attack. Last year, because the team was still new they had more free reign, which means more variety in attack. Walters leaving the assistant coach role has had an affect as well, I believe.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.