Round 10 - Sea Eagles vs Broncos

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Going into half-time I thought Brisbane may have given themselves an opportunity to make a contest of it.

Then these calls happened.

It's my biggest pet peeve in the game, players failing to play it on the mark and on both occasions the Broncos get unfairly penalised due to the referee's incompetence.

While I'm sounding off on crap calls that won't rate a mention.

How did Sutton swallow his whistle and not blow a penalty the moment Sipley goes on with the tackle and shoves Isaako?

Tim K

Tim K

QCup Player
Oct 7, 2018
Going into half-time I thought Brisbane may have given themselves an opportunity to make a contest of it.

Then these calls happened.

It's my biggest pet peeve in the game, players failing to play it on the mark and on both occasions the Broncos get unfairly penalised due to the referee's incompetence.

While I'm sounding off on crap calls that won't rate a mention.

How didn't Sutton swallow his whistle and blow a penalty the moment Sipley goes on with the tackle and shoves Isaako?

1000% this. Intentionally walking forward off the mark and sucking in a penalty is the single biggest issue with the six again debacle. Fixing this and replacing the six again in your own 20m so you can kick for touch are the simplest changes that can go some way to repair the damage. My other main issue is the lack of accountability of the six again calls.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
1000% this. Intentionally walking forward off the mark and sucking in a penalty is the single biggest issue with the six again debacle. Fixing this and replacing the six again in your own 20m so you can kick for touch are the simplest changes that can go some way to repair the damage. My other main issue is the lack of accountability of the six again calls.
I've written about this many times before too. I have no idea why the refs blow penalties for players walking, pushing forward into a guy trying to get to marker. I also pointed out that players should be rewarded for great legs tackles and finally the numbskulls are getting on to it. Something might happen. V-numptie should have have introduced a rule that players must play the ball precisely where the tackle occurs and if they move from there, penalize them.

Tim K

Tim K

QCup Player
Oct 7, 2018
The 3 options I see in responding to walking off the mark are..

1. Blow the whistle and make the player go back to the mark to play the ball if it’s deemed unintentional. The player can then only play the ball once the ref calls play on. The coaches will get the message if this continues to slow the momentum of the attacking team.
2. Penalise the player if it’s deemed milking or and an intentional action to play the ball of the mark. Maybe harsh but necessary.
3. Allow the play the ball to continued but remove or wave the need to penalise the markers or the defensive line for being offside.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Whilst I agree with the pain of cockheads talking shit, it is unfortunately freedom of speech. Everyone can voice their opinion
Yeah but back when there was no Twitter or FB the dunces only had the option of dribbling their shit to whoever would listen. And then they would get told to **** off. Social media has given the lunatics a way of banning together! And now they are fucking taking over!

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Defence issue is clearly an issue at Brisbane. Other teams are better coached and adapt. Its not like us getting toweled up is a one off. We have been getting toweled up for a long time now. Every team gets the odd beating, we get hammered way too much. You cant just put it down to the rule changes. Seibold was a big part of it, and Kevvie hasnt improved it either. I like Kevvie, but i've been pretty consistent with my view about him even before he coached here, i dont believe he is good enough to be a head coach in the NRL. If he wasnt a Broncos legend there is no way in hell we would have looked at him for the job.

In regards to Milf, if he didnt bother you so much you wouldnt constantly criticise him over others. Most halves would struggle on the back of the possession we got last night, but previously to that i dont think anyone is saying he has been good either over the last couple of years. I dont see the point of going on about his salary either tbh. Thats what we offered him, he took it. What seems to get overlooked is, as i said before, he got it on the back of not being the main play maker, not being a game manager, he got it on the back of being a player who could change a game by being a bit of an x-factor. After hunt left, we still wanted him to be that player, but we also wanted him to be Cooper Cronk as well. That player has never existed in the game and never will.
I have actually been a supporter of him in the past, my opinion of him has changed, I criticize him because I expect more from him. I am not going to pretend that he shouldn't be dropped. The point about his salary is valid, he isn't playing to a standard befitting it. I have acknowledged that the club has done him wrong in the past but the fact is Kev doesn't want him playing like that, he wants him running and my point is he isn't even doing that.

The rules a hundred percent play a huge factor into these blow out games, it is a snow ball effect. Our defense was good early. It wasn't until our errors built up that the game got away, an offensive error is huge in the modern game, you add the penalties, six agains and back to back points and the defensive structure falls apart due to being gassed. We didn't just have 30% possession due to poor defense, I blame our unforced offensive errors and just shere weight of possession against us. We came with a 10% of tackles missed in the game. We made just over 300 tackles. You can't just not acknowledge the fatigue element. By the way we have only had 3 games this year with teams putting 40 points or more on us including last night and only 4 games this year that we have been beat by 10 or more including last night.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I didnt see much in the way of set plays tbh. I just see no structure at all. Probably a bit harsh on Kevvie, but i would have expected a little more by this stage. Not talking about anywhere near the finished article, just improvement. We are still leaking too many points and we need to start with our defensive structures and communication. You cant win anything if you cant defend.
We definitely had them, especially on our right using all the best ball players on one side but your not going to see much when we have no ball and play soft like last night.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Do we really not have a game plan or are our players too dumb to follow a plan? Because we’ve had 3 coaches now in 5 years and still it’s the same crap each week. One out hit ups, bomb on the last and missed tackles galore.
Came on to say exactly the same thing.
I don’t for one second subscribe to the idea that this rudderless shit we have been seeing for the best part of 4+ years is on the coaching of Walters or even Seibold before him. Likewise Bennett.

It just cannot be the case that all three of them had no set plays and simply said at training and before the game, “just go out and play what’s in front of you. Jimmy, you’re faster than everyone, run around them. Milf, you’ve got twinkle toes, dazzle them all. TPJ, you’re a big, mobile and strong dude, just steamroll *****. And if that doesn’t work, revert to one out hit-ups and fifth tackle bombs.”

It just has to be the case that our spine, whoever that may be at any given time, but with only one common denominator since shit started going south in 2017, is too fucking stupid to follow and execute a game plan. No matter who was instructing them what to do, how to do it and when.

The sooner Milfraud is gone, the better. Call him the fall guy, I don’t care. He’s never lived up to his billing and has been going backwards year upon year. In fact, the only thing that has been worse than his on field performances has been his attitude and application.

After the 2015 season he looked like he could be anything, but now I can’t help resenting him every time I see him run out.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
I didn't blame the refs. I blamed the officiating, in fact i have a post in this thread stating you cant blame the refs for tonights performance, as they are just doing as they are told by the higher ups and would be dragged over hot coals if they didn't fall into line.

I will say it again, as you seem to struggle with understanding simple shit.
The Broncos were poor, there is no doubt about it. But the officiating was up there with the worst ive seen, and that includes the earlier game tonight as well, not just our game.
This is a direct result of the knee jerk reactionary rule changes implemented by Vlandys to curb the high shots in the game.

I dunno why you are hell bent on defending the terrible officiating, but each to their own.
Appears you quoted your own post...

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I have actually been a supporter of him in the past, my opinion of him has changed, I criticize him because I expect more from him. I am not going to pretend that he shouldn't be dropped. The point about his salary is valid, he isn't playing to a standard befitting it. I have acknowledged that the club has done him wrong in the past but the fact is Kev doesn't want him playing like that, he wants him running and my point is he isn't even doing that.

The rules a hundred percent play a huge factor into these blow out games, it is a snow ball effect. Our defense was good early. It wasn't until our errors built up that the game got away, an offensive error is huge in the modern game, you add the penalties, six agains and back to back points and the defensive structure falls apart due to being gassed. We didn't just have 30% possession due to poor defense, I blame our unforced offensive errors and just shere weight of possession against us. We came with a 10% of tackles missed in the game. We made just over 300 tackles. You can't just not acknowledge the fatigue element. By the way we have only had 3 games this year with teams putting 40 points or more on us including last night and only 4 games this year that we have been beat by 10 or more including last night.

Don't agree one bit tbh about the rules. They have changed the game but other teams have adapted, we haven't. It's a lazy excuse to say a change in rules has contributes to us leaking points so badly. Players have to adapt, coaches have to change the way they set up and coach. We seem to have done neither as the results show. It's simply poor coaching.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Came on to say exactly the same thing.
I don’t for one second subscribe to the idea that this rudderless shit we have been seeing for the best part of 4+ years is on the coaching of Walters or even Seibold before him. Likewise Bennett.

It just cannot be the case that all three of them had no set plays and simply said at training and before the game, “just go out and play what’s in front of you. Jimmy, you’re faster than everyone, run around them. Milf, you’ve got twinkle toes, dazzle them all. TPJ, you’re a big, mobile and strong dude, just steamroll *****. And if that doesn’t work, revert to one out hit-ups and fifth tackle bombs.”

It just has to be the case that our spine, whoever that may be at any given time, but with only one common denominator since shit started going south in 2017, is too fucking stupid to follow and execute a game plan. No matter who was instructing them what to do, how to do it and when.

The sooner Milfraud is gone, the better. Call him the fall guy, I don’t care. He’s never lived up to his billing and has been going backwards year upon year. In fact, the only thing that has been worse than his on field performances has been his attitude and application.

After the 2015 season he looked like he could be anything, but now I can’t help resenting him every time I see him run out.
I think, maybe a bit unfairly at times, it is on Milf. We want him to be a million dollar playmaker, and it's not his game.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I’m almost certain when milf signed that mil$ contract he did it with the understanding he would take the role of main playmaker, if memory serves. Absolutely his pay packet can be pointed at as to why he’s a failure imo.
Couldn't tell you if he did, I certainly can't recall anything being said publicly that we were basically going to turn him into a 7.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Don't agree one bit tbh about the rules. They have changed the game but other teams have adapted, we haven't. It's a lazy excuse to say a change in rules has contributes to us leaking points so badly. Players have to adapt, coaches have to change the way they set up and coach. We seem to have done neither as the results show. It's simply poor coaching.
Well we don't agree and that's fine. I just see it as a player issue, we just cant pretend the fall has been recent its been many years and at least three coaches. Thats why I am coming down hard on our longest running playmaker.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Well we don't agree and that's fine. I just see it as a player issue, we just cant pretend the fall has been recent its been many years and at least three coaches. Thats why I am coming down hard on our longest running playmaker.
You can't blame Milford for our failure to adapt to a rule change and our poor defence as a team. The players have to be accountable for their own games.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
You can't blame Milford for our failure to adapt to a rule change and our poor defence as a team. The players have to be accountable for their own games.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that but in matches where our team is even with the opposition, he always goes missing at key moments. It cannot be argued he has been a failure when the highlight of his game is he actually tried to make tackles he is supposed of make and put an effort to chase someone for once.

Our side’s forwards and backs are mostly even with other sides but the difference is always the spine and when things go against us, whether it be injury or momentum, our spine goes to absolute water and the guy who gets paid the biggest biscuits goes missing quicker than Ben Creagh against Justin Hodges.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
I never said that he was to blame for our inability to adapt to the new rules or defense as a team. I am blaming him for his poor effort in all areas of the game. But we have crossed this already.

F

fitzy0707

Apr 10, 2021
Before you all start rambling about penalty counts like a bunch of headless chooks.

TEAMS THAT HAVE LESS POSSESSION INCUR MORE PENALTIES. There is no 'balance' of penalties when you only have 40% possession. Thats 306 tackles to 198 tackles. Teams need to retain possession, minimise mistakes and kick effectively. The Broncos failed at all 3.
100%, fans saying the game was lost through the new rules and poor ref decisions need to wise up. Game was over before it started due to attitude. If you're under the cosh and unable to gain or retain possesion, fatigue kicks in, stupid decsions are made and you pay the price in penalties. Until we get a half that can properly kick on the final tackle this will always be the case

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.