PRE-GAME Round 10 - Tigers vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

What Tevita showed last night is how versatile he is. He started off in the middle and then found himself on the left edge when Glenn went down and he managed to produce two good plays.

The difference last night as Broncsfan pointed out is that he was used in shorter bursts. He was given a license to go out there and play hard for 15 minute bursts and he responded. Compare that to his previous few rounds and he came up with some great plays against the Knights and Titans, but the longer the game went on, the less impact he had. Then against the Warriors, he gets hooked off the field after 30 something minutes because Seibs saw his mistake as a sign of fatigue.

Last year one of Pangai's most memorable performances was against the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium where he just took their entire pack on. You'd think he was on the field for 80, but he only played 44 minutes on the night.

I look at Melbourne and their rotations, a lot of their forwards only play 30-40 minutes. Not because they can't go longer, but because they can't sustain that intensity over a long period. It's been a weakness of Seibold's coaching so far, but last night was a marked improvement. Hopefully with Ofahengaue and Lodge firming for returns, he can continue to get that balance right.

The issue is that with Glenn out for 6-8 weeks and Fifita allegedly still 3-4 weeks away, we're going to have to play TPJ 80 on an edge most likely. Oates struggled to make much impact last night on an edge, he needs a breather at about the 55-60 minute mark. That means Tevita pretty much HAS to play 80 on an edge until Fifita is back.

It's been a weakness of Seibold's coaching so far, but last night was a marked improvement.
What coaching, he doesn't have anything to do with this team anymore.

Last edited:
The issue is that with Glenn out for 6-8 weeks and Fifita allegedly still 3-4 weeks away, we're going to have to play TPJ 80 on an edge most likely. Oates struggled to make much impact last night on an edge, he needs a breather at about the 55-60 minute mark. That means Tevita pretty much HAS to play 80 on an edge until Fifita is back.

Good point, that might see Te'o or Hopoate used more on an edge. Hopoate was another player who I felt benefited from a shorter stint then being told to play 80.

So lets assume Fifita, Glenn, Joffa (suspended still right?), Turpin are still out and assume Lodge and Staggs are back:

1. Niu
2. Coates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd
5. Farnworth
6. Milford
7. Croft (should be Dearden but won't be)
8. Haas
9. Luke
10. TPJ
11. Teo
12. Oates
13. Carrigan (c)

14. Paix
15. Kennedy
16. Lodge
17. Joffa

Second-row is once again a huge issue once those starters go off.

So lets assume Fifita, Glenn, Joffa (suspended still right?), Turpin are still out and assume Lodge and Staggs are back:

1. Niu
2. Coates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd
5. Farnworth
6. Milford
7. Croft (should be Dearden but won't be)
8. Haas
9. Luke
10. TPJ
11. Teo
12. Oates
13. Carrigan (c)

14. Paix
15. Kennedy
16. Lodge
17. Joffa

Second-row is once again a huge issue once those starters go off.

I think for balance you gotta have one of TPJ, Te'o or Oates on the bench, just so we have a fresh second rower. 3 front rowers on the bench is a bit over the top IMO.

Is Bullemor injured?

If not, we won't need to use TPJ for the whole 80. We'll have enough cover for him to be able to have a rest.

We start him, give him free reign and tell him to rip in and lay a platform to make the bench players jobs a little easier. Hopoate and Te'o really benefited from the work by TPJ. They were able to maintain the momentum we had. They went after the Bulldogs forwards in defence and ran hard with the ball.

The issue with Boyd’s carries is that he only really chimes in when he sees a quick play the ball. That’s fine. But he never ever looks to shift the ball wide on the back of that advantage. It’s a bit greedy. Makes him look good but there is a lot of potential creating width from that point. His runs a fine, but he needs to consider other options.

Yep. I think he thinks of himself as a Hodges type centre with the dummy half runs but he just doesn’t create the danger that Hodges did.
It then generally fizzles out to nothing followed by a slow play the ball and then waving his arms at the ref whining for a non-existent penalty.
In the meantime he has killed any momentum he may have created if he just got on with it at speed.

Just finished watching the st george and manly game and dragons were all over them because they had a full strength team for one and manly were miss Turbo. Missing players makes a huge difference perfect example there. If we could put a 100% fully fit side on the field we can beat any side in the NRL.

Turpin might be back this week considering he wrote soon... with a a pic of him on the field.

I love a bit of a tease. Hope hes back we need all the key players back for the upcoming games.

So what should we do have turpin starting and have luke on the bench?
then do what with Paixy i like what we have seen but them both are natural hookers.

Last edited:
Turpin might be back this week considering he wrote soon... with a a pic of him on the field.

I love a bit of a tease. Hope hes back we need all the key players back for the upcoming games.

So what should we do have turpin starting and have luke on the bench?
then do what with Paixy i like what we have seen but them both are natural hookers.
I expect the future immortal will be a bit underdone: Seibs will bench him and start Luke. And probably the other way around against the Storm if he proves his fitness.

I agree with you that we need to build right side combinations, and I think for that reason, Croft is being kept at half, and for mine he should stay there for a while longer. He looks down on confidence. I can't see how dropping him for Dearden is going to solve anything. Dearden has had how many games in NRL?

What's the focus here, building combinations with a half like Croft who has decent 1st grade experience including playing in a grand final or just reacting to some flat performances in a team who is still learning how to play together, and throwing in someone like Dearden who is not ready yet for that role. Croft needs more time as does the whole spine to grow as an integrated unit. As I see it, more chop and change is not the way forward.
[automerge]1594516454[/automerge]

Why say Fifita is meant for the right edge when he went so well on the left?
This is our problem. Any other season dearden tears it up in q cup to show he's ready or he doesnt and isn't. This season, we only have his utility play at dummy half to judge.
Dearden unfortunately is in an inevitable position of having to wait for dire results to prove that anything is better than what's out there.
Winning has probably not helped his cause, but coming into half with a side getting thrashed isnt exactly rosy either.
I wish they would get some kind of lower grade competition going if only for Nrl squads. Perhaps a simple league, without playoffs, mirroring the main game, but alas I guess it's too late.

If we could put a 100% fully fit side on the field we can beat any side in the NRL.
Don't let beating the 2020 spooners cloud your judgement.

We were just as crap as them with errors and poor execution, it's just that their side is absolutely terrible for the modern game and we have some guys that can pull a great play out of their arse against poor defence.

Imagine having a forward pack of Tolman, Napa and Jackson. Just awful. Nothing doing there.

Just finished watching the st george and manly game and dragons were all over them because they had a full strength team for one and manly were miss Turbo. Missing players makes a huge difference perfect example there. If we could put a 100% fully fit side on the field we can beat any side in the NRL.

I sort of agree with you. Sort of because against the Dogs our defence is still nowhere good enough to cope with the top sides. Seriously way off. Our line speed has improved a lot but still needs a lot more work. We reverted to the "wait for them" style a few times. That style is fatal with the new Rule and against a fast moving, coordinated attack.

As well, our right edge defence is rubbish. It needs a lot of work. Lots of drills about spacing, sliding and communication including communication between the middle and the edge. Nui also needs to start trying to coordinate the defence. I know he's 18 but that is what a good FB does, and he is a bloody good FB in every other way. Unless fixed, our right edge is a turnstile and we will leak lots of points down there.

The positives are plenty. TPJ, Haas, Carrigan leading the way, like they are so very good, and when Fifita returns, and a fit and angry Lodge, I reckon our forward pack is absolutely top of the tree, provided they play with intensity, and, at long last, the good bench rotation continues. If our spine continues to integrate, and Milford continues to control games with his very good kicking game, I think we have a lot of wins in us.

This was the perfect game for a team like ours, exactly what we needed to build confidence, motivation and of course continue to build combinations.

Last edited:
Yep. I think he thinks of himself as a Hodges type centre with the dummy half runs but he just doesn’t create the danger that Hodges did.
It then generally fizzles out to nothing followed by a slow play the ball and then waving his arms at the ref whining for a non-existent penalty.
In the meantime he has killed any momentum he may have created if he just got on with it at speed.
Exactly how many times did he do that last game? Or the game before? This year in any game? Btw, his play the ball speed in the Bulldogs match was 2.78 which was faster than several of his teammates. An entirely unremarkable stat and absolute proof that he doesn't have slow ptbs. Not that that will matter to you when you have an agenda and don't actually watch, truly watch a game.

Some of you have a vivid imagination. The reality is starkly different. Oh, just to ram home the point the average ptb speed for the team was 2.84 which was pretty good in comparison to other teams and Boyd was quicker than that and more post contact metres than any of the backs from fewer runs so I guess you're completely wrong🤮. No arm waving and fast ptbs. Oh, he also made more metres than any other back except for Nui, no surprise there.

Try giving credit when it's due.

Last edited:

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Manofoneway
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Aldo
  • Astro
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • Robboi_321
  • phoenix
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • broncotville
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • broncos4life
  • LittleDavey
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.