PRE-GAME Round 10 - Tigers vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

So we have Lodge available next week? I know Hoppa has been dreadful the past few games, but I thought he ran with intent last night and he does have a bit of aggression so Pies may keep him on the bench too. Also Te'o might be better starting for the first spell as he'll take no shit in the opening exchanges.

Seibs would be better off grading high school exams with his Harvard qualifications than telling the team on how to play. I dare say most of BHQ would agree that Glenn should be the coach (& getting the $$ for it) while he is sidelined.
For the record, Seibs doesn't have a degree from Harvard; he spent four days there on a leadership course.

This isn't a qualification. It means he attended a seminar. You could do the same on Youtube or Coursera, but he would've paid a few thousand dollars to attend. Something like one of these:

Tigers are very focussed on attacking through the middle this year, with Harry targetting the middle and bringing the forwards onto the ball well to keep the roll on.

Unfortunately our defence has struggled with fast moving play through the ruck seemingly forever... so it could spell a difficult night.

The telling moment of the game will come with the bench.

TPJ went off last night at the 15min mark and then replaced Haas at the 30min mark. It wasn't until about 50-60 minutes in the game when TPJ and Haas were back on the field at the same time again

Flegler came on at 15mins and for whatever reason he is playing pretty poorly, but it's largely simple errors that is doing him in... I thought his defence was better last night and if he cuts out the errors I feel he is more useful than Offa.

The issue with Flegler is that the errors seem to come when he's fatiguing so playing a long stint like he did last night starts to lead to errors later in his stint (the 1v1 strip and lazy forward pass).

I think if Lodge is back this week it will be a boost... I think Lodge is struggling with fitness due to his knee injury at the start of the year, but having him come off the bench with shorter stints should help him with that. I think Lodge will be able to maintain the intensity in the middle when TPJ goes off.

We lost a lot of momentum when TPJ was off the field.

In the current game you need 5 good reliable middles (2x props + lock + 2x bench middles)... Up until last night we had Haas and Carrigan as really the only reliable middles.

TPJ being in there provides another one so we just need two of either Lodge, Flegler, Offa, Kennedy and Teo to step up and fill in those 4th and 5th spots, and then I think we will start to see consistent improved performances.

What's with this flurry of sensible posts? You're becoming repetitive. I have this burning need to disagree with you. So let's start with Croft. What's your take on our much maligned halfback?

The problem with Croft is that he is not just not an organiser, he's not a halfback.

His kicking and passing game isn't great, he isn't great defensively and he doesn't have a good feel for the game.

All he has is an ok running and even then he doesn't usually use it at the right time.

It is time for Croft to be dropped for Dearden.

It may not make a huge difference now, but he will be better than Croft for sure.
Mostly correct but he is a good defender. The problem is how error prone he is with at least 1 turnover a game.

Mostly correct but he is a good defender. The problem is how error prone he is with at least 1 turnover a game.

He’s a good tackler but I wouldn’t say he’s a good defender. He makes some bad decisions when defending on our line.

He’s a good tackler but I wouldn’t say he’s a good defender. He makes some bad decisions when defending on our line.

Lets not forget Staggs has exactly the same problems.

Finding it hard to be positive after 1 win from our last 7 games.

I've watched the Tigers quite a bit this year and they are a semi decent team. Strong, fast and seem to be developing a hard edge.

I highly doubt we win. Our attack is simply too one dimensional. Our defense improved against the Dogs but let's be honest here - it was against the Dogs. The team coming last.

Tigers 24
v
Broncos 16

Last edited:
It's interesting how TPJ is now supposed to be in the middle.
I remember last year (or maybe the year before) he had a few average games in the middle and then killed it on the edge, and people were saying "That's why he should be in the 2nd row".

I think he could be excellent anywhere in the pack, he has had game winning performances in the middle and on the edge. He just needs to be switched on and be consistent.

Last edited:
Finding it hard to be positive after 1 win from our last 7 games.

I've watched the Tigers quite a bit this year and they are a semi decent team. Strong, fast and seem to be developing a hard edge.

I highly doubt we win. Our attack is simply too one dimensional. Our defense improved against the Dogs but let's be honest here - it was against the Dogs. The team coming last.

Tigers 24
v
Broncos 16
Where was their hard edge friday night, ruined my perfect round

I dont know why everyone keeps putting a team up having Dearden at 7, while Croft is here and ecspecially after a win im not saying i wouldnt like to see it because i really would like to but Dearden wont get put at 7.
Yeah Croft can shit the bed for the rest of the season and not be dropped now that we’ve got a win. It’ll take another 6 losses in a row to maybe give it a chance.

What Tevita showed last night is how versatile he is. He started off in the middle and then found himself on the left edge when Glenn went down and he managed to produce two good plays.

The difference last night as Broncsfan pointed out is that he was used in shorter bursts. He was given a license to go out there and play hard for 15 minute bursts and he responded. Compare that to his previous few rounds and he came up with some great plays against the Knights and Titans, but the longer the game went on, the less impact he had. Then against the Warriors, he gets hooked off the field after 30 something minutes because Seibs saw his mistake as a sign of fatigue.

Last year one of Pangai's most memorable performances was against the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium where he just took their entire pack on. You'd think he was on the field for 80, but he only played 44 minutes on the night.

I look at Melbourne and their rotations, a lot of their forwards only play 30-40 minutes. Not because they can't go longer, but because they can't sustain that intensity over a long period. It's been a weakness of Seibold's coaching so far, but last night was a marked improvement. Hopefully with Ofahengaue and Lodge firming for returns, he can continue to get that balance right.

Last edited:
What Tevita showed last night is how versatile he is. He started off in the middle and then found himself on the left edge when Glenn went down and he managed to produce two good plays.

The difference last night as Broncsfan pointed out is that he was used in shorter bursts. He was given a license to go out there and play hard for 15 minute bursts and he responded. Compare that to his previous few rounds and he came up with some great plays against the Knights and Titans, but the longer the game went on, the less impact he had. Then against the Warriors, he gets hooked off the field after 30 something minutes because Seibs saw his mistake as a sign of fatigue.

I look at Melbourne and their rotations, a lot of their forwards only play 30-40 minutes. Not because they can't go longer, but because they can't sustain that intensity over a long period. It's been a weakness of Seibold's coaching so far, but last night was a marked improvement. Hopefully with Ofahengaue and Lodge firming for returns, he can continue to get that balance right.

yep, I really rated the bench rotation last night. Haas not playing the full 80 made a massive difference to his quality too. Add Lodge,Fifita, and Offa to the equation and it could be really damaging.

Yeah I actually commended pies on ‘landing’ Croft but he’s been fucking diabolical

Who’s captain? Surely Croft can’t be co captain? Just Patty?

Welp, Carrigan needs to own that captaincy

Active Now

• mrslong
  • TimWhatley
  • Allo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Battler
  • The Strapper
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • Harry Sack
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Gaz
  • Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Skathen
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.