PRE-GAME Round 11 - Broncos vs Roosters

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

People talk about 2015 and the free flowing attack our halves had. They sumise if we just play like that everythin will fall into place, but there areaa few things that go against it.
We don't have the consistent defence we had in 2015. It really was the backbone of our success and should be what we aim for to correct things. A strong defence means we can make the occasional error and not be scored against or sometimes worse: be trapped for an eternity in our own halves. But why do we get trapped in our own half? A lack of defensive pressure on opposition kickers.
Add to that an inconsistent forward pack and we sow the seeds of disaster.
Finall, throw in some simple handling errors by our backs or a bad option on the last play and we lose, badly.
We don't need expansive backline plays in our own half early in the match. Nor do we need a brilliant speedster or a brutal strong runner to make some exstravagent play.
What is needed is to use to first half to grind down our opponents. It might sound boring but if we can physically tire our our opponents then capitalise on their errors we will easily win most games.
We don't have the halves to create havoc early on (unless there is a dodgy defender identified by the coach).
We keep saying we dont have those kind of halves. Therefore playing a game of expansive football that feeds to strengths we don't have is counterproductive.
That doesn't mean a complete lack of creativity but just a different way of approaching it. As the game rolls on, the likes of Roberts against tiring defence is lethal, but like our halves is impotentent against fresh defence without support runners, and tired from hit ups in our own halve.

I don’t have the stats but I’m sure like most here you’ve seen all our games this year and have taken note of our lack of organisation or structure in the opposition 20.

Getting there hasn’t been the issue, it’s converting that possession into points that’s become the major issue as our key men for that job just don’t look up too the task.

Mago is one of those guys fans on here are going to either love, or never want to see in a Broncos jersey again! He is a real divider of opinion with the way he plays. Lazy at times, but can be a real weapon if he is on.

Yeah that's been my problem the last nine weeks, just sometimes seems to be sloppy and let small things slide. Against Easts it stood out because Walters was good enough to expose it.

He doesn't come across, he doesn't chase or tie in well at times. If you're not doing those things to get in the team I worry about you when in the team.

He seems happy to do the third tackle run with momentum but the first tackle run gets left to Flegler.

People talk about 2015 and the free flowing attack our halves had. They sumise if we just play like that everythin will fall into place, but there areaa few things that go against it.
We don't have the consistent defence we had in 2015. It really was the backbone of our success and should be what we aim for to correct things. A strong defence means we can make the occasional error and not be scored against or sometimes worse: be trapped for an eternity in our own halves. But why do we get trapped in our own half? A lack of defensive pressure on opposition kickers.
Finall, throw in some simple handling errors by our backs or a bad option on the last play and we lose, badly.
We don't need expansive backline plays in our own half early in the match. Nor do we need a brilliant speedster or a brutal strong runner to make some exstravagent play.
What is needed is to use to first half to grind down our opponents. It might sound boring but if we can physically tire our our opponents then capitalise on their errors we will easily win most games.
We don't have the halves to create havoc early on (unless there is a dodgy defender identified by the coach).
We keep saying we dont have those kind of halves. Therefore playing a game of expansive football that feeds to strengths we don't have is counterproductive.
That doesn't mean a complete lack of creativity but just a different way of approaching it. As the game rolls on, the likes of Roberts against tiring defence is lethal, but like our halves is impotentent against fresh defence without support runners, and tired from hit ups in our own halve.

tenor.gif

There were two people in particular in 2015 that are not on the side now and they are Justin Hodges who actually turned out to be a very good captain and Corey Parker. Besides obviously being tremendous footballers, they had one thing in common that I don't see from this squad and that is that they absolutely hated losing. Players did not want to get on either of their bad sides with poor performances or lackluster effort because they didn't want the wrath of either. Hell, I can't help but think that either would tear into the 2018 version of Boyd for the seeming lack of 100% effort once the whistle is blown.

Does anyone know how to pronounce Gehamat Shibasaki's name?

I dont really think our players aren't playing for the shirt, we just have a lot out of form and the team as a whole just isnt clicking, butbik really dont think it's generally from a lack of effort.

this ...

people often assume, that a lack of form means that they are either not trying, or simply don't give a shit ... but most times that just isn't the truth. hell, when their form has dropped they are usually trying harder

This is absolutely Wayne's one and only game plan, which is normally good enough to make a team competitive and finals bound without a doubt.
It is also almost a guarantee to be cannon fodder against the top teams, especially in the finals, where said top teams will have the same defensive toughness as us, but a much bigger tactical variety.

In regards to the bold. This team and our halves is the exact opposite of that. We have the players for expansive football and the halves to take advantage of it.
What we definitely don't have is the individuals or collective to play Wayne's grinding defensive and controlling waiting game!
We don't have a plan B or a collection of superstars that mitigates our lack of tactical nous, nor the players to grind the opposition into the ground like the Dragons of 2010.

This is absolutely Wayne's one and only game plan, which is normally good enough to make a team competitive and finals bound without a doubt.
It is also almost a guarantee to be cannon fodder against the top teams, especially in the finals, where said top teams will have the same defensive toughness as us, but a much bigger tactical variety.

In regards to the bold. This team and our halves is the exact opposite of that. We have the players for expansive football and the halves to take advantage of it.
What we definitely don't have is the individuals or collective to play Wayne's grinding defensive and controlling waiting game!
We don't have a plan B or a collection of superstars that mitigates our lack of tactical nous, nor the players to grind the opposition into the ground like the Dragons of 2010.

That explains why he is still yet to win a premiership. You would think the poor old bastard would have learnt by now.

That explains why he is still yet to win a premiership. You would think the poor old bastard would have learnt by now.
Ah yes, the usual selective nit-picking of sentences in a sarcastic tone.
Let's just ignore the word almost (exceptions to the general rule), and pretend there isn't a second paragraph to my post, where the exceptions are explained.

Ah yes, the usual selective nit-picking of sentences in a sarcastic tone.
Let's just ignore the word almost (exceptions to the general rule), and pretend there isn't a second paragraph to my post, where the exceptions are explained.

So you say almost a guarantee, yet 7 times he was able to have the many exceptions to the rule (for an almost guarantee)

It also leaves out that our style in 2015 was nothing like this never changing, one game plan that he has.

Sorry for not picking.

So you say almost a guarantee, yet 7 times he was able to have the many exceptions to the rule (for an almost guarantee)

It also leaves out that our style in 2015 was nothing like this never changing, one game plan that he has.

Sorry for not picking.
Anything before 2000 was due to such a collection of superstars, that they almost didn't need a tactician. Doesn't take his merit away, because he was able to assemble those teams and give them the steel any premiership side needs.
In the days of the salary cap, assembling such a team is practically impossible, which is why I ignore his first 5 premierships, like many people ignore the Storm's premierships while playing with a cheating team.

In terms of tactics/game plan, Bennett's rate is more like 2 premierships in 18 years, one where everything clicked together in 2006 (where we never looked likely, until that Bulldogs second half), and one where the assembled roster was perfect for his game plan in 2010.

I firmly believe the attacking footy we played in 2015 had Walters written all over it. It is completely different from the footy played by any Bennett team in the last 2 decades.

So... all of them?
I don't think their last premiership should be marred that way, but I do understand the reasoning that without the cheating, they probably wouldn't have been able to keep their 1-7-9 spine players.
The big question is whether they would've let any of them go, or would they have done what they did when they were punished...?

If you're referring to their grubby wrestle tactics, I hate them as much as anyone, but they're just taking advantage of the NRL and refs' indecision to punish those practices on the field. It's ethically reprehensible, but not cheating.

Anything before 2000 was due to such a collection of superstars, that they almost didn't need a tactician. Doesn't take his merit away, because he was able to assemble those teams and give them the steel any premiership side needs.
In the days of the salary cap, assembling such a team is practically impossible, which is why I ignore his first 5 premierships, like many people ignore the Storm's premierships while playing with a cheating team.

In terms of tactics/game plan, Bennett's rate is more like 2 premierships in 18 years, one where everything clicked together in 2006 (where we never looked likely, until that Bulldogs second half), and one where the assembled roster was perfect for his game plan in 2010.

I firmly believe the attacking footy we played in 2015 had Walters written all over it. It is completely different from the footy played by any Bennett team in the last 2 decades.

Now i wonder where walters learned that style of footy ?? To win 7 premierships and have his winning percentage over such an extended period , tells me that he must have more than 1 game plan.
To say he only should be credited for 2 premierships is borderline pathetic ! Bellamy still gets credited for his even though he broke the rules.... maybe Wayne isn't the most tactical of coaches but he knows what works and puts the right people around him.
Your comments wreak of an agenda, you have let it get in the way of the truth.

I don't think their last premiership should be marred that way, but I do understand the reasoning that without the cheating, they probably wouldn't have been able to keep their 1-7-9 spine players.
The big question is whether they would've let any of them go, or would they have done what they did when they were punished...?

If you're referring to their grubby wrestle tactics, I hate them as much as anyone, but they're just taking advantage of the NRL and refs' indecision to punish those practices on the field. It's ethically reprehensible, but not cheating.

Wayne Bennett is the devil. The Storm don't cheat the game and it's fans.

You've lost the plot. Your absolute bias and blind hatred for Wayne Bennett has finally done it. You've lost it. The post a few up where you rag on about him is possibly one of the most horrible bias bits of opinion I have ever seen on BroncosHQ.

Your hatred for the man has no extended to the point where you can't even give him credit for his previous premierships? How do you expect people to take you seriously in a discussion about Bennett if this is the trash you're dishing up?

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • Brocko
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • sooticus
  • Mustafur
  • Spoon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.