PRE-GAME Round 11 - Broncos vs Roosters

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I think the opposite, I think the injection of youth will give us life. Also, losing Bird may prove to be more of a positive than a negative, at least short term.

I'm also excited by the prospect of 80 minutes of Pangai Jr this week, and Ofahengaue will lift in the starting role.

Broncos by 4.
The inclusion of Offa at lock appears to have gone through to the keeper.

I've always felt that lock would be his best position, so I can't wait to see what he can offer.

His years as a bash and barge prop in NRL may have diminished his talents though

I watched him all the way through, even before he signed with us and he was really good. He never really started dropping the ball a heap until he got into the first team. He seemed to decline rapidly from there imo. Like I said though, it's hard to judge them coming through because they all make so many mistakes anyway. The football isnt a disciplined so they take more risks, especially in the 20's, that's why you used to get ridiculous scoreline.
My perception was he was worse than the rest, probably because he seemed to drop it a lot before contact.

I just don't understand how Bird isn't losing weight? He's what? 23? He should have no trouble losing flab quickly. He should be on a strict diet and conditioning program, so what gives?

I just went overseas for 2 weeks and ate like crazy with no exercise. Came back , got on the scales and to my surprise only put on 1kg. So bird must be living at maccas and stealing everyone else's cards.

Body types people. Bird still fat tho

My perception was he was worse than the rest, probably because he seemed to drop it a lot before contact.

I'd agree the higher he went up the less he handled the pressure. The blokes who came through u18's and 20's loved playing with him. Very tough player they all looked up to.

Yes.

This guy has all of the talent you could ever want.

He likely won't make an instant impact as rookies usually don't. But when he gets more game time, you will see the Staggs that everyone raves on about. He's a talented player. Has great footwork.

No doubts in my mind he will make a top player if he has his head screwed on. Very talented.

I watched him all the way through, even before he signed with us and he was really good. He never really started dropping the ball a heap until he got into the first team. He seemed to decline rapidly from there imo. Like I said though, it's hard to judge them coming through because they all make so many mistakes anyway. The football isnt a disciplined so they take more risks, especially in the 20's, that's why you used to get ridiculous scoreline.

As someone who was friends with Aaron between the ages of 12-18 I can probably share an insight as to why he likely didn't succeed.

A) He's literally the nicest person I've ever met, would never say a bad word about anyone
B) He was one of the slowest people I've ever met, and I don't mean in terms of running speed

He wasn't "dumb" per se, but just a really docile lad. That's just not the combination of attributes you need to succeed in professional sports, huge talent though, he was legitimately 6'1'' & 100kg of pure muscle in like grade 9. Same story as Dale Copley, that guy was a unit in High School as well.

I'd agree the higher he went up the less he handled the pressure. The blokes who came through u18's and 20's loved playing with him. Very tough player they all looked up to.

Dropsies all started with that Redcliffe GF if I remember correctly. Dropped like 4 cold in the second half after being up at half time and literally lost it for them.

I think we will see Staggs come off the bench to replace Opacic tbh. I'd say they will let Tom do a lot of the dirty work in defence and then let Staggs have a go at them when players are tiring a little more.

As someone who was friends with Aaron between the ages of 12-18 I can probably share an insight as to why he likely didn't succeed.

A) He's literally the nicest person I've ever met, would never say a bad word about anyone
B) He was one of the slowest people I've ever met, and I don't mean in terms of running speed

He wasn't "dumb" per se, but just a really docile lad. That's just not the combination of attributes you need to succeed in professional sports, huge talent though, he was legitimately 6'1'' & 100kg of pure muscle in like grade 9. Same story as Dale Copley, that guy was a unit in High School as well.

Yep, he is a really nice fella, and his girlfriend is stunning!

Broncsdogs29

Tevita Pangai Jr out to prove Wayne Bennett wrong after post-match criticism

May 17, 2018

AFTER Saturday’s loss to the Sea Eagles, Tevita Pangai Jr sat down and watched coach Wayne Bennett’s post-match press conference.

And when he heard Bennett say Brisbane’s young forwards struggle to be “up” every week, he took it as a personal challenge.

Pangai Jr has been one of the standouts of the Broncos pack this year, continuously stepping up each week as his fellow forwards succumbed to injury.

With Matt Gillett (neck), Josh McGuire (ankle) and now Alex Glenn (knee) all sidelined, Pangai Jr has become the club’s Mr Fix-It, rotating between front row, lock and bench.

This week he will move to the second row to replace Glenn.

However Friday’s clash against the Roosters isn’t just a chance to try out a new role, but to also show Bennett that he can handle the weekly rigours of the NRL, after the supercoach said his young forwards are “not used to being up every week”.

“I watched the press conference and I heard him say that,” Pangai Jr said.

“I just look at it as a challenge to show him (I can). The biggest thing with Wayne is earning his trust.

“Hopefully us young boys can really show him and earn his trust. We can only do that by performing every week.”

Fellow young forwards Jaydn Su’A and Joe Ofahengaue will start alongside Pangai Jr this week, while former Cowboy Patrick Mago has been called on to the bench for his third NRL game.

While Bennett feels his young pack aren’t consistent at the moment, Pangai Jr has certainly been impressive to start the season.

He is averaging 101m a game and 18.4 tackles.

The 22-year-old said getting to this point in his career was always part of the plan, after he moved from Canberra to Brisbane in 2016.

He has picked the brains of a number of Broncos greats in this time, including Gorden Tallis and Brad Thorn.

But Pangai Jr, who is off-contract at the end of this season, says Bennett and his teammates are the main reason for his improvement and they are why he wants to stay at the club.

“Me and Wayne always spoke about me trying to develop into this player from the day I signed here,” he said.

“It’s my third year here at the club. When I first got here he said he’d develop me slowly over the next two years and then the third year hit the ground running.

“The senior players and environment here … they keep me accountable. I came up here with a bit of attacking flair but a pretty crappy attitude in defence. I think that’s changed.

“My mindset is defence. That’s through the help of (former Bronco) Adam Blair last year and this year I have Matt Gillett and Sam Thaiday keeping me accountable there in my defence.

“If I leave, I’ll probably slack off a bit. I’m just trying to make defence my No.1 priority.”

Source: Courier Mail

Active Now

• phoenix
  • Battler
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Lurker
  • The True King
  • Financeguy
  • Brocko
  • BroncoFan94
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • The Don
  • Fitzy
  • Griffo
  • Foordy
  • Manlyman
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.