Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Only just seen the highlights, well done awesome win, especially against that team of *****. JWH and Napa spent most of last week doing the same cheapshot rubbish, that was ignored, about time both of them got called out for it. Broncs showed some real class in a classy game. Congrats.
JWH's late hit on MILF was pretty much a dog act. It was as close to a shoulder charge without being a shoulder charge. Fair play to Milf for getting up and playing on tough little bigger.

JWH's late hit on MILF was pretty much a dog act. It was as close to a shoulder charge without being a shoulder charge. Fair play to Milf for getting up and playing on tough little bigger.

JWH also did a late hit on Macca in the first half. Came from behind and hit him hard. He was cautioned for that and then did it again to Milford.

I can understand the second Keary try, but are you seriously going to bag him for the first one?

He was completely outnumbered and tried to get in between the pass which is what every other fullback would have done. If he marks Keary, the Roosters player just passes it to the guy next to him or goes himself.

He was caught in an impossible situation and nearly pulled off a try saver.

If anyone should be bagged for that try, it should be Roberts for his abysmal miss.
I’ve been bashing Boyd all year, but I agree with everything you’ve said except about Roberts.

It was a miss, but not an abysmal one. He did everything right, dropped to the hips to avoid the fend. Tried to hit and stick but sometimes you just can’t help being bumped off by the hip of a bloke who is probably 15kg heavier than you and one the most damaging ball runners in the game when he’s on - and he was absolutely on in the first half.

In context, consider how many times Inglis has done the same thing to notably great defensive centres.

There is so such thing as a 5/8 or half back anymore. It is left sided play maker or right sided play maker. I assume Bird will need to be on the right as that is where he played centre.

In general, I agree with you mate......but in the modern game, the no.7 still seems to be considered the game manager more so than the no.6

He did the exact same thing last week to Green against the Warriors, right in front of the ref and nothing called, while Napa spent most of the game "not" leading with his head and with his arms out stretched like he's about to take off. As for that idiot Gould, like his opinion on what the Rorters are doing isn't going to be one eyed. I wish they'd turn his mike off.

When you choke as often as the Warriors, breathing is a priority.

Well we will just have to see if you feel the same way when the Warriors emblem is taking pride of place at the top of your home page in a few weeks. Then we will see who the real hyperventilators are.;)

I think this week's one will be controversial but hey, that's the half the fun, so here goes (after finally getting to watch a replay):

1. Boyd - His kick return metres are poor, they truly are and his defense at times abysmal. That effort on Keary was terrible BUT he was organising a lot last night and had some excellent timing on some of those passes. Even on the kick returns, he was often in position to palm it off to Oates or Isaako which I don't have a problem with per se, though would be nice to see him take up more of the slack. Would like to see a different fullback but last night, no one can accuse him of not putting in, even if the execution was not always great - 6
2. Oates - He was fantastic and is giving himself every chance to get back in that Qld side. In fact, he should be there, his kick returns are on another level to everyone bar Mansour. His finish on that first try is just what he does, such a good player who is never afraid to take the tough run - 9
3. Roberts - That centre battle was just a lot of fun all night. No shame in getting palmed off by Mitchell, he is a good player and it happens but Roberts did everything he could to make up for it and almost completely shut Mitchell down in that second half - 7
4. Opacic - He came, he saw stars and he was concussed - 1
5. Isaako - He took his game up to another level last night. It wasn't just the last try, he was running with more impact, he was pumping up his teammates, he was there in support and he wasn't coming in as much off his wing. Still not perfect but showed more than I've seen previously. Hey, that last try alone was worth whatever score he gets, it was vintage Lockyer - 8
6. Milford - He would be my first choice halfback for Qld. He has become an organiser and when he can finally get some help in the play-making department, look out! His kicking game has gone to another level, very pleasing progress - 8
7. KNik - Here is where the controversy will start. I thought he was really good. No, he was not what we expect a halfback to be but no one can question his effort. His strength is his running and short passing and I thought his passing was really good. No, he doesn't have any kicking game whatsoever but he has a lot of other tools. Is a better option than Bird at present and is always there in support. I mean, every break last night, KNik was there in support even if he didn't get the ball. His defense was great, particularly one-on-one. He is rightly much maligned but last night, he was good - 7
8. Lodge - He is a very decent player for someone which such limited experience. He got smashed by Napa early, got up and smashed him back on the next set. He runs hard, hits hard and doesn't seem to get flustered. He still has a penalty in him though and very ill-timed passes. He has a massive amount of upside though, he really does - 7
9. McCullough - Noticeably quicker service from dummy half and solid defense as always, though one of his few misses did lead to a try. Has played himself into the maroon number 9, no doubt about that. Probably helped by the fact that Friend is rubbish these days - 7
10. Thaiday - He wasn't bad last night. He also wasn't great but while the ability is no longer what it used to be clearly, he is trying so hard to make things happen and re-ignite the spark that seems no longer physically possible. Will rightly go down as a Broncos great but still shouldn't be in the best 17 if everyone is fit - 6
11. Pangai Jr - Absolute barnstorming game once again. Yes, one of his offloads was ill-timed but purely because of an unfortunate Rooster head popping up. I loved his presence of mind to kick that ball away at the end too. Yes, he got binned but it was for like, one second and chewed up time. Did he play right through (before the binning?). Re-sign him ASAP - 9
12. Su'A - Not a happy night for the kid but you get that with rookies. Absolutely hope he stays at the Broncs because he has been shown a lot of faith and is very much a part of the Broncs exciting future. Made some crucial errors but just kept trying to make up for it, that is a quality I love. He must be kept - 5
13. Ofahenguie - He was the best on field. If I'm not mistaken, he played 80 minutes at lock in a finals intensity game and just kept on going. This kid has always had a bright future, he might just have flicked the switch this season. His game last night was nothing short of phenomenal. Last ditch tackle, it was him. Need a big run, it was him. Easily my MoTM - 10

14. Tagataese - @Huge would have loved seeing the big guy go at it. I thought Sam was really good in his limited time out there. Took a couple of really strong runs and defended really well. He probably should be getting more minutes to be honest - 5
16. Sims - Yes he got a massive cut and knocked out and a lot of people are saying he was poor but I disagree somewhat. I am not his biggest fan as most on here would know but credit where it is due. He was not at his great level of a couple of weeks ago but he ran hard and tackled harder, can't ask much more than that in those aspects but the one big thing for him is still his laziness to back up defensively through the middle. When he hits, he still sometimes drops off, needs to stick it more often and run back to the line, not slowly jog or walk - 6
17 - Mago - The new, new, new JT2 number 2, 2 was kind of just there. He did some tackles and that was about all he had opportunity to do - 4
18. Staggs - This kid has a future doesn't he if that debut was anything to go by. His pass to Oates was sublime, his own try showed real strength and determination and he did not look out of place at all. His impact lessened as the game wore on but that is to be expected for a rookie and some of his defense was fantastic. There is a real Berriganness about this kid - 7

After Su'a bombed the try and then made another error that led to us conceding a try, I was going to post "that's just what you get with inexperienced players". But after that, he didn't drop his head, he went harder to make up for it, and forced the error on Ferguson which gave us what would be the game-winning field position. He was also doing to Keary all night what TPJ was doing to Cronk - isolating and just bulldozing the little shit in to next week. So I thought he redeemed himself.

On Roberts, I've been a fan of his since he was playing for the Titans. I think Bennett has a massive soft spot for him. His elation when the Jet scored that try was something you rarely see (albeit, he was just as chuffed for Isaako's one too). In the press conference he made specific note of how the old James would have "been out the back door" after his errors, would have let his demons get the better of him. I get the impression he is not just another player for Bennett. He fought hard to keep him after that latest bar incident, and I think he has made it his job to mentor make him as a man first, player second. Who knows what would have happened to Roberts if not for Wayne Bennett, he is much more than just the supercoach.
3 things:
- agree wholeheartedly about Su’a. Not his best game, but he didn’t let his errors get the best of him and showed he has a bright future.
- I just love how Ferguson is good for at least a couple of schoolboy errors per game. Must be something in the Breezer’s down in Canberra, as you just know Dugan is similarly good for at least one injury per game - poor bastards must have smashed some mirrors while taking selfies or something.
- I’ve been critical of Bennett for a while, but I agree regarding Roberts and all his players for that matter. He is like no other coach when it comes to getting them on the right path and supporting them thereafter. If they show they want it and will work for it, he’ll ensure he gets them there.

Sims didn’t knock the ball on. Why do the media and other fans keep saying this? They realise there is footage right?

Yeah and Robinson said he got hit in the back of the head. Fucking idiots make up shit to support their own stories. Just like we get gifted penalties all the time! Ha !!

I had two Roosters fans sitting in front of me all night long and it was giving me the shits.

They were crowing and bragging all night long. Carrying on that the Roosters are going to run away with the game after Cordner scored.

When Isaako scored, I've never seen someone leave so quickly..

You don't think that if the coaching staff wanted him to play the regular floating fullback style instead of playing in the line, they might say something to him?

If that's what they want its not working.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's what they want its not working.

Yeah, it feels like every team this year has exploited it at least once or twice each against us. Do they just have no faith in in defensive line? Or is it becaise Boyd already seems to really struggle with the bouncing ball.

I totally understand Wayne's very unusual display in the box (everyone in the area now knows for sure which team I support after those Roberts and Isaako tries). That was as unexpected as elating, and a welcome bit of pressure relief for the coach.

That extraordinary win came out of nowhere, and was built on tremendous individual displays, rather than on a collective performance, aided by some boneheaded mistakes and soft defense from the opposition, but I'll take it.

We do need to tighten the ruck better (wasn't as bad as last week against the scum from Brookvale), and our defense on the right side is a bit of a nightmare. Kodi is a massive liability, whether he's being a turnstile or forcing his mates inside and outside of him to compress towards him (Roberts got caught a few times doing this, as did Su'a) and open up space for the opposition to run around. This is magnified by a positionally practically non-existing fullback.
The ***** had a field day out there on their left side attack exploiting holes inside Su'a and outside Roberts, and had this been the other way around, we would justifiably be pissed at the many opportunities gone begging.

Boyd - 3
He's the captain, and as such, has a higher burden of performance. I'm not going to keep repeating myself, but after his first run I though... "yes, that's what I want to see from you!". Then he just went mostly back to the usual apathetic stuff with a little flash here and there, was nowhere to be found on Cordner's try, and made my blood boil with that Cartwrightesque effort on Keary's second try.

Oates - 7.5
Invaluable making meters from our line and doing what great wingers do... scoring tries with almost every opportunity.

Opacic - -
No score for obvious reasons.

Roberts - 7
Was headed for a score of 3 after the initial 40, but more than redeemed himself in the second stanza, ending up on top of his duel with his opposition centre.

Isaako - 8
Not much to blame him for defensively this time. He still gets caught out in no man's land, but there wasn't a lot he could do about the rampage inside him. No one can ever take that glorious Lockyeresque try from him, just fantastic!

Milford - 6
He's working so hard to do both halves jobs, is tough, and has massively improved his defense. I don't think he was particularly good yesterday while in possession, and his kicking was barely on par, often straight into Tedesco's lap, which is probably the one thing you want to avoid.

Kodi - 2
I normally don't take too much heed of a half's defense (Locky is my favourite player by far, and was little more than a speed bump), as long as he brings what we require from a half. Kodi was nowhere to be seen in possession (except knocking the **** out of Matterson with a kick and a great one on one tackle on Keary), and is making life incredibly hard for Milford in attack, as well as Roberts and Su'a in defense. The latter doesn't have Gillo's experience and defensive steel to be able to mind Nikorima.

Lodge - 7.5
Probably one of the best games he has played in the last weeks. Does the job, and does it well.

Macca - 6
His miss on Liu costs him, but he was still the winner of the hookers clash last night.

Thaiday - 5
Given how bare the cupboard is, starting him is a necessity. He didn't do too bad this time, not great either, and shares responsibility with Macca on Liu's try.

TPJ - 9.5
Too bad about that one silly offload. One of the most dominant performances by a backrower I can remember. I am in true awe of this magnificent bastard!

Su'a - 7
Mixed bag due to a few mistakes, but also forcing them on the opposition with stinging defense and running with purpose. I think a try was taken off him, as he was pushed before taking possession of the ball. Should've been a penalty, not a 7 tackles set for the *****.

Ofahengaue - 8.5
Needs to start alongside Lodge. He's a middle forward that thrives with minutes and won't let anyone down. Awesome work rate, not error prone and very solid overal.

Tagataese - 6
Not too many minutes, but did his job.

Sims - 5
Was his usual not so good self, until he wasn't. He's ugly, but trying to reconstruct his head with elbow and head-butts is probably taking it a bit too far. That image of Napa's cranium straight up his noggin is a shocker!

Mago - 4
Saw too little of him to really evaluate.

Staggs - 9
Welcome to the NRL young buck! Excellent work in defense and attack, but let's see whether you can keep this up. Up there in terms of debut quality and it was awesome to see how deservedly proud your family was of your work.

Coach - 5
As long as Boyd is fullback, and Kodi the 7, while performing as they are, this will be the maximum score. If that dig at the young forwards from last week was meant to make them go another level, it definitely worked. Can you please do the same for the older experienced heads... because they really are the ones needing it!

Refs - 6
I honestly don't think Napa's action was a deliberate head knock, but it certainly was a penalty and reportable act. Whether it warranted a sin bin is questionable though...
As mentioned before, I think Su'a was deliberately pushed while trying to reach for the ball. It should have been a penalty, but there was only a fraction of a second involved and I won't crucify the refs for it. ***** got a few easy piggyback penalties which could've been costly, but overal far from the worst reffing display I've seen.

I had two Roosters fans sitting in front of me all night long and it was giving me the shits.

They were crowing and bragging all night long. Carrying on that the Roosters are going to run away with the game after Cordner scored.

When Isaako scored, I've never seen someone leave so quickly..

I had about 5 of the cockwombles in front of me. Really annoying.

Active Now

• john1420
  • arieals
  • Old Mate
  • Brocko
  • Morkel
  • The Strapper
  • Fozz
  • Shane Tronc
  • Wolfie
  • sooticus
  • Astro
  • Allo
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Bucking Beads
  • ChewThePhatt
  • lynx000
  • jd87
  • Browny
  • Justwin
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.